Unknown error 0x80131500 [Across.Modules.QualityManagement] Spell-checker failed. ...
Thread poster: Herbert Eppel
Herbert Eppel
Herbert Eppel  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:18
German to English
+ ...
May 9, 2021

Using Across Translator Basic Edition v7, the following error message pops up every few seconds and keeps interrupting my workflow:

Unknown error 0x80131500 [Across.Modules.QualityManagement] Spell-checker failed.
CheckWords - ISpellCheckInvoker failed.

So far, neither Across Support nor my client have been able to resolve this irritating and time-wasting issue.

The client says they have disabled all spellcheckers (sentry/crossterm/MS) at their end, b
... See more
Using Across Translator Basic Edition v7, the following error message pops up every few seconds and keeps interrupting my workflow:

Unknown error 0x80131500 [Across.Modules.QualityManagement] Spell-checker failed.
CheckWords - ISpellCheckInvoker failed.

So far, neither Across Support nor my client have been able to resolve this irritating and time-wasting issue.

The client says they have disabled all spellcheckers (sentry/crossterm/MS) at their end, but the problem persists.

I have disabled all spellcheckers Under User Settings > General > Spell-check, but the problem persists.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Collapse

Vorchuchelo
Vorchuchelo
Russian Federation
Update? May 10, 2021

Hi Herbert,
do you have the newest version installed?

Herbert Eppel
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have the latest version May 11, 2021

Vorchuchelo wrote:

Hi Herbert,
do you have the newest version installed?

Thanks for your reply, and yes, the problem persists in the latest version, Across Translator Edition 7.0 14650_en

Perhaps I should open another support ticket?

Vorchuchelo
Vorchuchelo
Russian Federation
Support May 11, 2021

Hi Herbert,
Yes, I would recommend to contact Across support again, there should be a solution.

George Luca
George Luca  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:18
German to Romanian
+ ...
Post festum May 15, 2021

If you are in the middle of your work or are about to accept an Across project, you can ask your client to assign it to you in crossWeb, i.e. the browser-based version of Across.
As far as I can remember, there is no big difference between the computer-based and the browser-based versions. But, for sure, the latter is a little bit dull (slow-acting).
Another theoretical solution may be the installation of Across in a virtual machine with a different OS.
But I don’t know if
... See more
If you are in the middle of your work or are about to accept an Across project, you can ask your client to assign it to you in crossWeb, i.e. the browser-based version of Across.
As far as I can remember, there is no big difference between the computer-based and the browser-based versions. But, for sure, the latter is a little bit dull (slow-acting).
Another theoretical solution may be the installation of Across in a virtual machine with a different OS.
But I don’t know if this is really a feasible solution.
Collapse

Rhona Voegele
Rhona Voegele  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:18
Member (2014)
German to English
Any progress May 20, 2021

Hi Herbert,
I've just started using Across for the first time and am having exactly the same problem (not a great introduction to a new software so far). Have you managed to resolve the issue somehow?
Rhona

Herbert Eppel
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, crossWeb is a workaround May 21, 2021

George Luca wrote:

But I don’t know if this is really a feasible solution.

Hi George,

thanks for the reminder of the crossWeb option as a workaround. I'll try and remember that for my next Across project 👍

Thanks also for the other, 'theoretical' solution option. I'll bear that in mind, although it seems a little extreme as a workaround 🙃

Herbert Eppel
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem unresolved May 21, 2021

Rhona Voegele wrote:

Hi Herbert,
I've just started using Across for the first time and am having exactly the same problem (not a great introduction to a new software so far). Have you managed to resolve the issue somehow?
Rhona

Hi Rhona,

Unfortunately the problem remained unresolved during my last Across project. I don't have an Across project at the moment, so presumably I can't try and progress this until the next project comes along.

It would be great if you could open an Across support ticket, pointing them to this discussion here. For the record, the number of the (now closed, but unresolved) ticket I had opened back in February was 2021020973000885

Rhona Voegele

Vorchuchelo
Vorchuchelo
Russian Federation
Support May 21, 2021

Hi Rhona,
My recommendation is also to contact Support.

Rhona Voegele

Vorchuchelo
Vorchuchelo
Russian Federation
Update May 25, 2021

Hi Herbert,
Hi Rhona,

Seems they resolved the mentioned problem!
I just got a news about a new version is available https://www.across.net/across-translator-edition-cat-tool/download

I had no such problem at my laptop, but checking release notes each time.

Kind regards

Herbert Eppel
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where does it say the problem is resolved? May 28, 2021

Vorchuchelo wrote:

Hi Herbert,
Hi Rhona,

I just got a news about a new version is available https://www.across.net/across-translator-edition-cat-tool/download

Kind regards

Thanks for your message, but where does it say that the problem is resolved?

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
A repair procedure to be considered May 28, 2021

Hello Herbert,

I see that you don't seem to have found a solution yet. When Across encounters a major problem, it seems that the error is stored and will recur until the cause is found and fixed. Disabling the spell check options, restarting Across or the system may not be the answer. The error is still there to the extent that it has not been repaired.

I assume you are on Windows 10 and also use MS Word as one of your checkers? I sincerely believe that the issue stems
... See more
Hello Herbert,

I see that you don't seem to have found a solution yet. When Across encounters a major problem, it seems that the error is stored and will recur until the cause is found and fixed. Disabling the spell check options, restarting Across or the system may not be the answer. The error is still there to the extent that it has not been repaired.

I assume you are on Windows 10 and also use MS Word as one of your checkers? I sincerely believe that the issue stems from a problem with the link between Across and Word, probably due to an update of MS Office that was done without your knowledge. Check the Windows Update options to see if you are also updating other MS products simultaneously. In any case, I suggest the following steps which should provide the expected solution:

- Update manually your Windows
- Repair MS Office (Control panel > Programs > Uninstall programs > Repair). I suggest an Online repair
- Repair also your Express LocalDB
- Repair the same way your Across Edition

Restart the computer. It will probably be necessary to reactivate MS Office (through one of its programs at the first use) and to accept the use of CodeMeter (which Windows should no longer recognize) and confirm the Across user password.

With or without a client project, you can test on your own, there should be no more problems.

Hopefully, all this will help. Kind regards
Collapse

Herbert Eppel
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your helpful reply and suggestions May 29, 2021

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Hello Herbert,

I assume you are on Windows 10 and also use MS Word as one of your checkers? I sincerely believe that the issue stems from a problem with the link between Across and Word, probably due to an update of MS Office that was done without your knowledge. Check the Windows Update options to see if you are also updating other MS products simultaneously. In any case, I suggest the following steps which should provide the expected solution:

- Update manually your Windows
- Repair MS Office (Control panel > Programs > Uninstall programs > Repair). I suggest an Online repair
- Repair also your Express LocalDB
- Repair the same way your Across Edition

Restart the computer. It will probably be necessary to reactivate MS Office (through one of its programs at the first use) and to accept the use of CodeMeter (which Windows should no longer recognize) and confirm the Across user password.

With or without a client project, you can test on your own, there should be no more problems.

Hopefully, all this will help. Kind regards

Hello Adrien

Thanks for your helpful reply and suggestions, which I'll bear in mind if I the problem still persists in my next Across project, whenever that may be.

Rhona Voegele
Rhona Voegele  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
Issue resolved with latest version Jan 24, 2022

Vorchuchelo wrote:

Hi Herbert,
Hi Rhona,

Kind regards

I uninstalled Across then reinstalled the latest version from that link (Across Translator Basic Edition v7.0 15279_en) and that seems to have sorted out the issue (so far).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unknown error 0x80131500 [Across.Modules.QualityManagement] Spell-checker failed. ...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »