Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Things to do while waiting for trados to work ;)
Thread poster: Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:10
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 20, 2020

Hi everybody, I am looking for suggestions on what to do while waiting for any of the trados functions to work. Should I look for a part-time job?!
Any suggestions are welcome!

Elena Feriani
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:10
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Suggestion Aug 20, 2020

Try another CAT tool, such as Cafetran or OmegaT

Yolanda Broad
Philippe Etienne

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Things to do while waiting for trados to work ;) Aug 20, 2020

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Hi everybody, I am looking for suggestions on what to do while waiting for any of the trados functions to work. Should I look for a part-time job?!

Can you develop? Why does your Trados (Studio, I assume) not work?
It does here.

Sabine Braun
expressisverbis

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
A yoga session? Aug 20, 2020

expressisverbis

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cafetran Aug 20, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Try another CAT tool, such as Cafetran or OmegaT

Thank you Tom
I would really like to (I also tried Cafetran), but many clients send me Trados packages with project TMs and TBs and they want a trados return package..and unfortunately these CAT tools don't allow me to do that..

Josephine Cassar

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
new Trados studio yoga edition Aug 20, 2020

Christophe Delaunay wrote:

Thank you Christophe,
Yes that would definitely help in order to reach a higher level of peace while dealing with trados!

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A bit more context would help Aug 20, 2020

Can you elaborate more, please?
When Trados starts to be picky and does not work, I go after a possible solution by searching it on the Web, or I call to my Trados supplier who is an engineer.
Sometimes, it is also useful to check for an answer here in these forums.
If you wish to change your CAT tool, there are many options: MemoQ, Logiterm, Memsource, Wordfast...

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
too many flaws Aug 20, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Can you elaborate more, please?
When Trados starts to be picky and does not work, I go after a possible solution by searching it on the Web, or I call to my Trados supplier who is an engineer.
Sometimes, it is also useful to check for an answer here in these forums.
If you wish to change your CAT tool, there are many options: MemoQ, Logiterm, Memsource, Wordfast...

Hi Thank you for your answer!
Actually I have been using trados for more than 10 years now and it always has some kind of problem that forces you to waste time in order to find a solution.
Apart from this, for many problems there isn't any solution. For example, sometimes trados freezes or closes unexpectedly, or terms disappear from termbase (there are many posts on proz). I understand that in some cases this can be due to corrupted files sent by the client, but I think that this software has too many flaws and should be simplified in order to work properly and more importantly to be "RELIABLE"..

[Edited at 2020-08-20 10:42 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mike Sadler (X)

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Forums Aug 20, 2020

Bruno Depascale wrote:

I usually check these forums while I wait and then forget what I was doing

expressisverbis
Morano El-Kholy

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Bruno! Aug 20, 2020

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Hi Thank you for your answer!
Actually I have been using trados for more than 10 years now and it always has some kind of problem that forces you to waste time in order to find a solution.
Apart from this, for many problems there isn't any solution. For example, sometimes trados freezes or closes unexpectedly, or terms disappear from termbase (there are many posts on proz). I understand that in some cases this can be due to corrupted files sent by the client, but I think that this software has too many flaws and should be simplified in order to work properly and more importantly to be "RELIABLE"..

[Edited at 2020-08-20 10:42 GMT]

I use Trados Studio since 2008, and I have experienced the same problems as you (except the terms disappearing from the Termbase - it is a bit odd. Did you try to synchronize the Termbase?).
These were due the most part of the time to updates, very big files, some old versions of a certain software, etc. and sometimes we can receive a corrupted file from a client.
I confess that also my curious mind leads to me create problems, but we can learn by trying and failing, and that's why I believe SDL Trados Team is aware of these (or should be aware of) in order to make our tasks easier.
It's true, I believe that simplifying things more, it would certainly ease our pains

Bruno Depascale

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Band practice Aug 20, 2020

Bruno Depascale wrote:

I have clients who send large trados packages that trados on my machine takes several minutes to open, and sometimes simply pauses during the translation for a minute or two to reflect on its life, crashes and requires a restart, etc.

I keep my flute by my desk and the passages I'm currently practising for band on another desktop, and use the time to play over a current tricky passage a few times.

Well, or check social media.

expressisverbis
Elena Feriani
Bruno Depascale

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That would be nice :-) Aug 20, 2020

Christophe Delaunay wrote:

or Tai Chi that involves slow movements (to keep calm and not throw the computer out of the window) and deep breaths (to not swear)

Elena Feriani
Bruno Depascale

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Remediation option Aug 20, 2020

Bruno Depascale wrote:
...many clients send me Trados packages with project TMs and TBs and they want a trados return package...

If your clients are NOT bogged down into stiff workflows that simplify their work only to complicate yours,
If PMs KNOW basics about Trados beyond ticking boxes to decrease weighted word counts,
If you always say NO to online projects to avoid being paranoid/monitored, having to watch a full-length film each time you confirm a segment and/or being stuck when the weather changes, the server is down, the server is under maintenance, the children play online or the Internet provider has a "problem",
If you HAVE Trados and don't want to use it only to clean the kitchen countertop or as a toy for the dog,

You may try this:

Change the Trados project extension to .zip.
Unzip the file
Locate TMs, TBs and sdlxliff files in the folders
Open the TM in Trados and convert it to TMX
Import the TMX in your preferred Trados-compatible CAT tool
Translate the sdlxliff files in that CAT tool too
Check that the files open properly in Trados
Send the translated bilingual files to your client, or even the return package if you know how to do that!

I do this on a regular basis with my antique MemoQ 2013 R2, still working on Win10, for a couple of agencies. Of course, they know I have Trados and don't use it, but it looks like they care more about translation and less about processes. Granted, concordance percent values disappear and segment statuses are whatever they are, ie all green. I suppose it takes them two minutes to do what they have to do if they need to fix these "process" shortcomings I generate.

To answer your initial question, I'd play around with and watch videos about other CAT tools!

Philippe

Edit: typos and clarified

[Edited at 2020-08-20 19:01 GMT]

expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel
Bruno Depascale

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:10
English to Russian
Talk is cheap. Create a perfect CAT tool Aug 20, 2020

Bruno Depascale wrote:

I suggest that you should create a new totally flawless product that can be praised by everyone as #1 CAT tool.

Dan Lucas
Bruno Depascale

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The thing is... Aug 21, 2020

Since there are always some issues and bugs with Trados, and you need to research them, I am not quite sure how this is a “time saving tool”. But overall it makes your work more organized, I admit that. But not significantly faster, due to the technological learning curve which is endless.

That’s exactely the point, if the tool is problematic, why is it on the market and why are people charged to be testers rather than consumers? The general concesus is “report the bug and l
... See more
Since there are always some issues and bugs with Trados, and you need to research them, I am not quite sure how this is a “time saving tool”. But overall it makes your work more organized, I admit that. But not significantly faster, due to the technological learning curve which is endless.

That’s exactely the point, if the tool is problematic, why is it on the market and why are people charged to be testers rather than consumers? The general concesus is “report the bug and let the community take care of it”.
Collapse

Bruno Depascale

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Things to do while waiting for trados to work ;)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »