Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:10
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2021

Any ideas about how to make sure of getting work? The vacancies on the Jobs Board tend to be gone in a matter of minutes, and in some cases you want to apply, write a covering letter and attach CV... and the job is closed. Suggestions? A phone call perhaps? I have heard that some people do not like unsolicited phone calls.

Dalia Nour

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some thoughts Apr 27, 2021

Open this site's webpage on an independent window on your device, keep a close eye on it during all of your waking hours, and refresh it manually just as frequently as you possibly can.
As soon as you see a posting that might interest you, go ahead and make an offer without giving the matter any reflection.
Make sure that said offer fulfills the following criteria:
a.
It allows the agency an excellent profit margin in relation to the volume of w
... See more
Open this site's webpage on an independent window on your device, keep a close eye on it during all of your waking hours, and refresh it manually just as frequently as you possibly can.
As soon as you see a posting that might interest you, go ahead and make an offer without giving the matter any reflection.
Make sure that said offer fulfills the following criteria:
a.
It allows the agency an excellent profit margin in relation to the volume of work involved.
b.
Leave no doubt that you are very elastic as to payment terms. So even if the offered terms are, say, 60 days net, make it clear that you are willing to wait up to 120 days to get paid.
Urge the agency to reach out to you if it should have any questions about your background and qualifications.
To seal the deal, don't forget the importance of a strong conclusion. Write that you are honored at the prospect of working with such a prestigious agency, and that you hope that this is the beginning of a long-term and fruitful partnership.

[Edited at 2021-04-27 21:05 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
ahartje
Axelle H.
Christel Zipfel

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:10
German to Swedish
+ ...
Pay Apr 27, 2021

Offer to pay for translating.

I had a $0.03 per word offer in my mailbox this morning. At that rate we're not losing that much by paying for work.

writeaway
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Tom in London
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
ahartje
Sadek_A

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:10
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Uh-oh Apr 28, 2021

Robert Forstag wrote:

Urge the agency to reach out to you

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
writeaway
Dalia Nour

Robert Forstag
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
More Keys to Success Apr 28, 2021

Joakim Braun wrote:

Offer to pay for translating.

I had a $0.03 per word offer in my mailbox this morning. At that rate we're not losing that much by paying for work.

I see this as a contribution that can help point the way forward for freelancers in these difficult times. We could use a good deal more such out-of-the-box thinking. I salute you, Joakim!

I’d like to add a few more “tips and tricks” of my own for those who, like the OP here, look to the Jobs Board as an important source of work:

Consider giving new clients a few freebies before negotiating a fee for paid work. This will help build trust and make possible the kind of flourishing long-term relationships that we all strive for.
If the agency is late with payment, resist the temptation to importune them or – worse yet – to make any veiled or explicit threat to report their noncompliance with previously agreed terms. Give as wide a berth as possible – say, one or two additional months. I would go so far as to suggest that you consider forgiving the obligation entirely as a confidence-building measure.
After you have delivered your translation, make sure to send boxes of chocolates and handwritten “Thank You” notes to the project manager and agency CEO expressing your heartfelt gratitude for having been assigned the project, and don’t forget to include an enthusiastic reminder that you are at the ready 24/7 to consider any future offers.
Some might find the above suggestions startling, but these are times that call for “thinking different” (to steal a phrase from Steve Jobs). This is why I am so immensely cheered by Joakim’s post. He is someone who really gets it!

What these new circumstances imply is that many freelance translators can no longer have the luxury of protecting and projecting any sense of professional pride. Seize opportunities when they arise, be flexible in the rates and payment terms you offer, be willing to go that extra mile so that you stand out! This is the only way forward in these challenging times.

Before concluding, I would be remiss if I did not echo what has been pointed out so many times before in these kinds of discussions: The most lucrative offers received by members and users of this site are often not posted on the Jobs Board, but instead sent directly from agencies to freelancers. Joakim referred to one such offer. I can personally say that my Inbox is filled with an abundance of similar messages – many of which have left me positively gasping for breath.

So take heart, my colleagues. All is not lost. Be strong and of good courage!

[Edited at 2021-04-29 10:44 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Sadek_A
expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel
Barbara Carrara
writeaway
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
English to Arabic
+ ...
Careful Apr 28, 2021

That's borderline-serious sarcasm, Robert.

Many today, and tomorrow, will think you are being earnest.

Robert Forstag
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
writeaway
Dalia Nour
expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel

Ulrike Cisar
Ulrike Cisar  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
French to German
+ ...
Never lose your sense of humour Apr 29, 2021

Robert´s extremely valuable advice made my day!!!

P.L.F. Persio
Robert Forstag
Dalia Nour
expressisverbis
Liviu-Lee Roth

Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
A book worth reading Apr 29, 2021

Getting started as a translator is tough, like in most industries. You get no jobs because you have no contacts and references, and you have no contacts and references because you're just getting started. Be tenacious, my friend. Don't get frustrated by zero responses to applications. Stick with it, grab some not so great jobs (as experience and reference), and then try to slowly up your rates.

And to keep your spirits (and know-how) up, here's a book I can strongly recommend. It's
... See more
Getting started as a translator is tough, like in most industries. You get no jobs because you have no contacts and references, and you have no contacts and references because you're just getting started. Be tenacious, my friend. Don't get frustrated by zero responses to applications. Stick with it, grab some not so great jobs (as experience and reference), and then try to slowly up your rates.

And to keep your spirits (and know-how) up, here's a book I can strongly recommend. It's not only fun and entertaining, but contains a lot of tips and ideas to get you off the ground and keep you floating as a translator. It is my – sorry for getting so personal – bathroom reading that has provided me with joyous relief many a day and helped me to develop a spine as a serious business partner for my clients.

The Prosperous Translator by Chris Durban. Not exactly cheap to buy, but worth every penny.

PS: You will get inspired ideas on how to answer those $0.03 emails and requests for "your lowest rate" (if you feel bemused to do so).
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Vadim Kadyrov

Robert Forstag
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Disagree Apr 30, 2021

Peter Mueller wrote:
And to keep your spirits (and know-how) up, here's a book I can strongly recommend. It's not only fun and entertaining, but contains a lot of tips and ideas to get you off the ground and keep you floating as a translator. It is my – sorry for getting so personal – bathroom reading that has provided me with joyous relief many a day and helped me to develop a spine as a serious business partner for my clients.

The Prosperous Translator by Chris Durban. Not exactly cheap to buy, but worth every penny.

PS: You will get inspired ideas on how to answer those $0.03 emails and requests for "your lowest rate" (if you feel bemused to do so).

With all due respect, Ms. Durban's book was published way back in 2010. The world of translation - and, more importantly, for her and our purposes, the reality of freelance translators - has changed dramatically since that time. Recommending her book to freelancers today as a source of practical information and inspiration is like recommending a book about navigating the web that came out in 1998.

I note in this connection that she has not made an entry in her blog for the past three years. I would not call this a good sign. I do hope all is well with her.

[Edited at 2021-04-30 12:07 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Sadek_A
writeaway
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Take the long view Apr 30, 2021

It’s also important to think long term. Consider rejecting their 60-day payment terms and offering them 60 years to pay instead.

Robert Forstag
P.L.F. Persio
writeaway
expressisverbis

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Chris Durban Apr 30, 2021

Robert Forstag wrote:
[snip]
I note in this connection that she has not made an entry in her blog for the past three years. I would not call this a good sign. I do hope all is well with her.

[Edited at 2021-04-30 12:07 GMT]

For years Chris contributed to a column "Fire Ant & Worker Bee" in an online journal offering advice on how to succeed in this business.

She made a brief appearance here a while back. I suspect the realities of the current market were too discouraging and that her advice really didn't help translators working remotely in a globalized environment far removed from potential clients.

Robert Forstag
Sadek_A
expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:10
English to Russian
My two cents Apr 30, 2021

As a minor addition to the above tips, obviously much more valuable than mine, I would suggest that you should master a CAT tool. These days it gives you even not an advantage but an equal opportunity to play on par with others. I remember how reluctant and wary some fellow translators here were about CAT tools several years ago and see how they discuss now why CafeTran is better than Trados and other technical stuff like that. Some things are just imminent.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Tailored cover letters DO get far higher response rates, BUT... May 1, 2021

Single job online offers are usually more about spamming everything quickly.

Get a couple pitches pre-written for typical scenarios and ctrl-c + ctrl-v.

Don't bid low, normal clients ignore those.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:10
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 2, 2021

Thank you, Grazie, Hvala Lepa, Danke Schön, Merci and whatever to all who have replied so far. Some comments:

1. I have Chris Durban's book and find it very interesting indeed. I had the honour to attend a lecture with Chris Durban at a conference here. As a more recent addition, there is André Lisboa's book which I have already bought and have started to read. It is called 'Becoming a successful translator'. I have the Brazilian translation, as the English language edition is not
... See more
Thank you, Grazie, Hvala Lepa, Danke Schön, Merci and whatever to all who have replied so far. Some comments:

1. I have Chris Durban's book and find it very interesting indeed. I had the honour to attend a lecture with Chris Durban at a conference here. As a more recent addition, there is André Lisboa's book which I have already bought and have started to read. It is called 'Becoming a successful translator'. I have the Brazilian translation, as the English language edition is not available here.

2. Regarding CAT tools, while I can see the importance of using CATs I haven't found one (preferably free or cheap) that is simple enough for someone not too tech-savvy. I tried Trados (known in Brazil as 'Travos', from the verb 'travar' meaning (a system or computer) to crash) and found it extremely complex, having to open many folders and switch around them all the time. Wordfast seems a lot simpler and am thinging of WF Anywhere - does anyone have any experience with it? Is it as simple as it appears to be?

3. The issue about rates is that Brazil is a very saturated market. I don't accept hisip (hypoinfrasubindian peanuts) but there is always someone who will. The big problem is that the market is not regulated, and with the crisis in the general economy, tons of people come in from other areas of work, sometimes without translation experience of note, increasing the competition and hence lowering rates.

4. Sometimes the job is open but by the time I have written the cover letter the job is closed (those where you need to reply by e-mail). Would it be professionally acceptable to say just 'Interested' and then send the cover letter later? My personal opinion is that it is not very professional.
Collapse

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 10:10
English to Russian
+ ...
The most user-friendly CAT May 2, 2021

Hi Paul,

Try MemSource, they have a free trial and $27/month subscription for a version that will be more than enough for you. Maybe later it will be easier to use Trados. I have both, and I hate Trados.

MemoQ is very close but much more expensive.

Good luck!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get that job?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »