Thread poster: Yuri Balashov
Yuri Balashov
Yuri Balashov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:02
English to Russian
+ ...
May 25, 2020

I am looking for good descriptions of processes used by traditional (i.e. not "smart") CAT tools to put together several non-overlapping (or partially overlapping) longest substrings, identified by a concordancer, to offer a full target sentence or at least a longer string to the translator for consideration, perhaps in a predictive/auto-suggest mode.

I hear that some CAT tools do it (or do something very similar), and some tools (Déjà Vu? SDL Trados?) do it better than others. I
... See more
I am looking for good descriptions of processes used by traditional (i.e. not "smart") CAT tools to put together several non-overlapping (or partially overlapping) longest substrings, identified by a concordancer, to offer a full target sentence or at least a longer string to the translator for consideration, perhaps in a predictive/auto-suggest mode.

I hear that some CAT tools do it (or do something very similar), and some tools (Déjà Vu? SDL Trados?) do it better than others. I am mostly familiar with memoQ. Although it routinely performs automatic fuzzy match repairs ("match patch") and identifies separate LSCs (and sometimes offers their TM/TB-based translations), it stops short of putting the latter together. I would be interested in seeing this happen in other tools. Could anyone point me to good descriptions or demos?

Thank you!
Yuri
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:02
English to Russian
What are May 25, 2020

smart and traditional CAT tools?

Yuri Balashov
Yuri Balashov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:02
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Automatic longest substring concordance assembly May 25, 2020

Sorry for not being precise about the terminology. By "traditional" I meant CAT tools widely used by translators, i.e. SDL Trados, memoQ, Wordfast etc. By "smart" I meant adaptive/interactive TM/MT and other AI-enhanced systems such as Lilt or SCATE.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic longest substring concordance assembly

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »