How to remove all properties from a TMX file?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Sep 5, 2020

To compact a gigantic memory, exported as TMX from Studio, I'd like to remove all properties, e.g.:

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 10.43.34

What is the best way to do this?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans Sep 5, 2020

Hans Lenting wrote:
To compact a gigantic memory, exported as TMX from Studio, I'd like to remove all properties...

Open it in a Unicode-aware text editor and do a regex find/replace operation.

There is a Mac on your desk, so perhaps this page provides such a text editor.

The simplest way would be to search for something like changeid=".+?" and replace with nothing (the Find field's regex syntax may differ from editor to editor). Or, if you want to assume that the "lang" attribute is always at the start of the TUV tag (which is 99% true), you can search for e.g. (<tuv lang=".+?")(.+?)(>) and replace it with e.g. $1$3 (again the syntax may differ from program to program).

[Edited at 2020-09-05 09:44 GMT]

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Sep 5, 2020

Along these lines I was thinking indeed, hoping, however, an even simpler solution would exist .

Thank you for your suggestion!

I've tested Maxprogram's TMXEditor:

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 11.59.19

[Edited at 2020-09-05 10:10 GMT]

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:49
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Free Heartsome Tmx Editor Sep 5, 2020

You can use Heartsome Tmx Editor to export your Tmx file as an excel file and then reimport it again into Heartsome creating a Tmx file again without any properties. It's very easy.

Hans Lenting
Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:49
English to Russian
A minor addition Sep 5, 2020

With Heartsome, you don't even need to convert tmx into Excel or anything else. Just open your tmx, clear all attributes and apply to the entire TMX file.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
How to remove all properties from a TMX file? Sep 5, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

With Heartsome, you don't even need to convert tmx into Excel or anything else. Just open your tmx, clear all attributes and apply to the entire TMX file.

Bad luck as Heartsome does not run under Catalina.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
RE: How to remove all properties from a TMX file Sep 5, 2020

When you open a tmx file with Heartsome, an Attributes Editor pane displays on the right. You can add, edit or delete the attributes one by one: choose the first unwanted attrubute (by
... See more

When you open a tmx file with Heartsome, an Attributes Editor pane displays on the right. You can add, edit or delete the attributes one by one: choose the first unwanted attrubute (by clicking), then delete with 'Whole file/TM' radio button selected; choose the second unwanted attrubute, then delete with 'Whole file/TM' radio button selected; etc.

[Edited at 2020-09-05 13:44 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
Heartsome Sep 6, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

When you open a tmx file with Heartsome, [Edited at 2020-09-05 13:44 GMT]

BTW, does anybody here own Heartsome for Windows (as the application does not run on moste recente Apple OSX) and can (s)he point me to where to download it? I tried Github but the zip file is infected with a trojan.

Matthias Brombach

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Here's mine Sep 6, 2020

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
Does anybody here own Heartsome for Windows?

Googling gets me two "Heartsome" profiles on GitHub, one being "Heartsome TMX Editor" and the other "Heartsome Studio", but I'm not sure if they're the same thing or two different things. I downloaded the TMX editor in 2014 (not sure from where, though). I uploaded it here for 7 days (I'm not sure how many people can download it). It's 620 MB and contains HSTMXEditor 8.0.1 for Linux (32&64 bit), Mac (32&64 bit) and Windows (32&64 bit, with and without JRE. The "without JRE" version doesn't work for me, but I suspect it may be because my own installed version of Java is too new for it.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Dropbox/OneDrive Sep 6, 2020

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

BTW, does anybody here own Heartsome for Windows (as the application does not run on moste recente Apple OSX) and can (s)he point me to where to download it? I tried Github but the zip file is infected with a trojan.

Hello Wolfgang,

Here you have all what you need :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/15tz6sdr1ibp6s7/AADNAUCxKleoM1IZVqGbrUOga

or

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!ADuuiyhuvMU30nU&id=A132898840765207!108&cid=A132898840765207

Remeber that the HSTMEditor version must correspond to your OS version. Otherwise it doesn't work.

Stepan Konev
Matthias Brombach

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Another minor addition Sep 6, 2020

Adrien Esparron wrote:
Remeber that the HSTMEditor version must correspond to your OS version. Otherwise it doesn't work.

Also, if you are not sure whther you have Java installed on your machine, choose the version ending with JRE.

Platary (X)

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
Heartsome TMX Editor Sep 7, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Also, if you are not sure whther you have Java installed on your machine, choose the version ending with JRE.

A big Thanks to you guys, Samuel, Adrian and Stepan. I downloaded Win_x86_JRE version and it works in my Windows 10.
@Samuel: as expected those versions for Mac do not work or I would have to install Java 6 which I tried unsuccessfully. So I'll content myself with the Windows version and can definitely forget about TMX Editor.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to remove all properties from a TMX file?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »