Getting started as an academic translator in France: advice needed
Thread poster: ttice
ttice
ttice
France
Feb 13, 2019

Hello all,

I am currently working as a replacement English teacher at a French lycée, but I have translated some articles into English for a French academic journal and will be translating a book for an American academic publisher. Once my contract with the Rectorat is up, I plan on moving into translation full time.

I have been in academia for much of my life and have much to learn on the business side, but my main concern at the moment is the opaque French tax/statu
... See more
Hello all,

I am currently working as a replacement English teacher at a French lycée, but I have translated some articles into English for a French academic journal and will be translating a book for an American academic publisher. Once my contract with the Rectorat is up, I plan on moving into translation full time.

I have been in academia for much of my life and have much to learn on the business side, but my main concern at the moment is the opaque French tax/status system. Working for the journal, my taxes went to AGESSA. I hope to work mainly for journals and academic publishers, but also for individual academics who want to have their articles translated into English or edited. Would I have to become an auto-entrepreneur in that case? Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you!
Collapse

Eliza Hall
Eliza Hall
United States
Local time: 10:41
French to English
+ ...
French tax attorney Feb 15, 2019

That's who you need to talk to. Even if you got ten pages of great-sounding advice here, you would still need to talk to a French tax lawyer to be sure of what the correct answer is.

Jorge Payan
Tom in London

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:41
German to English
+ ...
Web resources Feb 16, 2019

There is quite a lot available on the internet from translation organisations and individual translators who have done this before. You might find this useful, for example: https://www.expatica.com/fr/employment/self-employment/becoming-a-freelance-or-self-employed-worker-in-france-445986/

ttice
ttice
France
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 23, 2019

Helen Shiner wrote:

There is quite a lot available on the internet from translation organisations and individual translators who have done this before. You might find this useful, for example: https://www.expatica.com/fr/employment/self-employment/becoming-a-freelance-or-self-employed-worker-in-france-445986/

Thank you, Helen!

Helen Shiner

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started as an academic translator in France: advice needed

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »