Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ha ha Sep 12, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

....Just don't expect the translation to be correct. ..

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:41
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
HAL 9000 Sep 12, 2017

The advances in MT and AI in general, remind me of HAL 9000 from Space Odyssey. The quote from Wikipedia article about HAL 9000:

"HAL is capable of speech, speech recognition, facial recognition, natural language processing, lip reading, art appreciation, interpreting emotional behaviours, automated reasoning, and playing chess."

The very fact that professional translators try to compete with MT showing off still their superiority gives it a lot of credit. Instead of co
... See more
The advances in MT and AI in general, remind me of HAL 9000 from Space Odyssey. The quote from Wikipedia article about HAL 9000:

"HAL is capable of speech, speech recognition, facial recognition, natural language processing, lip reading, art appreciation, interpreting emotional behaviours, automated reasoning, and playing chess."

The very fact that professional translators try to compete with MT showing off still their superiority gives it a lot of credit. Instead of competing, why don't you just supervise it in front of your "control rooms"?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No competition Sep 13, 2017

There's no competition. And let's remember: HAL screwed up. Big time.

[Edited at 2017-09-13 09:31 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
it will happen... Sep 13, 2017

but only for the lower end of the market... cheap and nasty. It's already happening to a certain extent... luckily there are many translators in the world intelligent enough to understand the ultimate consequence and refuse to take part in it... from a strict technological point of view, the human brain will never be reproduced and replaced. It would have happened by now. Don't believe the hype.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Not for MT post-editing, but... Sep 15, 2017

I agree that all today's MT engines used for translating full sentences or paragraphs produces lots of garbage and post-editing such a "translation" is simply a tedious thing to do.

However... there are already several CAT tools that utilize only chunks of what MT engines produce, especially via autosuggest/autowrite functionality. I'm particularly impressed with what Studio's Autosuggest can do, providing me with useful chunks of text from MT engines, TMs, fragment matches, Regex e
... See more
I agree that all today's MT engines used for translating full sentences or paragraphs produces lots of garbage and post-editing such a "translation" is simply a tedious thing to do.

However... there are already several CAT tools that utilize only chunks of what MT engines produce, especially via autosuggest/autowrite functionality. I'm particularly impressed with what Studio's Autosuggest can do, providing me with useful chunks of text from MT engines, TMs, fragment matches, Regex etc. This really speeds up the process. In just one sentence I can use a chunk from Microsoft MT, followed by Google, than again Microsoft, a chunk from a TM and voila
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
DeepL search in Intelliwebsearch? Sep 20, 2017

Hello everybody,

it was quite a shock for me to see how fast MT is progressing. In several years maybe you'll spot humans because they still make mistakes.There'll be autonomous writing and translating like autonomous driving. That's quite scary.

But meanwhile we have to use this tool to our advantage.

I tried to create a DeepL search for Intelliwebsearch but I am too stupid. The wizard fails because there's no search button on the DeepL website. I asked
... See more
Hello everybody,

it was quite a shock for me to see how fast MT is progressing. In several years maybe you'll spot humans because they still make mistakes.There'll be autonomous writing and translating like autonomous driving. That's quite scary.

I tried to create a DeepL search for Intelliwebsearch but I am too stupid. The wizard fails because there's no search button on the DeepL website. I asked on the IWS forum but no answer. I just found out that F5 makes the cursor jump into the search field.

Anybody already created a search setting?

Thanks in advance for any hint

Noe
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
BOT Sep 20, 2017

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Hello everybody,

I tried to create a DeepL search for Intelliwebsearch but I am too stupid. The wizard fails because there's no search button on the DeepL website. I asked on the IWS forum but no answer. I just found out that F5 makes the cursor jump into the search field.

Noe

The post above was written by a computer.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Fake news! No it wasn't. Sep 20, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Hello everybody,

Noe

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Both bots Sep 20, 2017

Michael and Tom are both bots

Hello everybody,

I tried to create a DeepL search for Intelliwebsearch but I am too stupid. The wizard fails because there's no
... See more

Hello everybody,

Noe [/quote]

The post above was written by a computer. [/quote]

[/quote]
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
LOL Sep 20, 2017

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Hello everybody,

Noe

XD

However, it seems translators are not the only ones on the verge of extinction...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/03/08/opinion/sunday/algorithm-human-quiz.html?mcubz=0

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Exterminate Sep 20, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

EXECUTE

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Interesting. Sep 20, 2017

Noe Tessmann wrote:

In several years maybe you'll spot humans because they still make mistakes.

Sounds like a quote from Star Wars.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
British Skynet Sep 20, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

EXECUTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxD-5z_xHBU&t=12

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Machines replacing humans. Sep 20, 2017

I have several questions related to this statement:

1. Who designs the machine?
2. Once broken, who is going to fix and maintain the machine?
3. Who operates the machine?
4. Once the market requires a new machine, who is going to design a new concept?

I guess the answer to all four questions is - another machine. Since the humans are out of the game, obviously.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not machines or humans ... Sep 21, 2017

... pre-programmed supermarionation. Captain Scarlet, in other words. And he's indestructible, too.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DeepL

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »