Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:15
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 17, 2018

My dear colleagues and nevertheless friends,

I had this odd problem with memoQ that I have now resolved with the help of Kilgray's support. I thought I'd share it with you in case anybody has the same thing.

The issue is that the "Translation results" pane was empty, despite the translation memory, termbases, and other resources containing many possible matches that should appear in the pane. In fact, when I did Statistics on a single row, the TM contained a 100% match
... See more
My dear colleagues and nevertheless friends,

I had this odd problem with memoQ that I have now resolved with the help of Kilgray's support. I thought I'd share it with you in case anybody has the same thing.

The issue is that the "Translation results" pane was empty, despite the translation memory, termbases, and other resources containing many possible matches that should appear in the pane. In fact, when I did Statistics on a single row, the TM contained a 100% match which did not show up in the pane.

The solution: Apparently the Preferences XML file controlling the lookup of translation results had gone bananas, and it had to be recreated.

Steps to correct this (please close memoQ first):
1. Go to memoQ's Program Data folder (in my computer, C:\\Users\\[my user name]\\AppData\\Roaming\\MemoQ) and find the file Preferences-lookup.xml.

2. Delete the file (or rename it to put it out of the way and force its creation).

3. Run memoQ. A new Preferences-lookup.xml is created automatically that fixes the issue. You might want to compare your renamed XML file with the new one and see what went corrupt.

Now all that is left to do is to check your lookup preferences, which might have gone back to the defaults. Do so by right-clicking the Translation results pane and choosing Customize Appearance.... Tab Lookup results is the one to check.

I hope this helps someone in the future!

Greetings from sunny Spain (after weeks raining cats and dogs),
Tomás
Collapse

Isabella Becker

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Tomás, Apr 17, 2018

How can I disable the display of the Machine Translation entries on the Translation Results window ?

These are the entries with numbers over orange background on this screen capture :

https://fotos.subefotos.com/b7dd12a802d144ec9a28d7f2e2c2353do.jpg

[Edited at 2018-04-17 12:11 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Easy enough Apr 17, 2018

If you use the Customize appearance option I mentioned in the post, you will see that you have different types of lookup results, each with a different colour. You have an Enabled checkbox for each one. Simply uncheck the checkbox of those items you do not want in the Translation results pane.

If I may, I think the yellow items are by default the LSC results, i.e. fragments or phrases that could be useful to you, found automatically by memoQ in your TM. I find that tre
... See more
If you use the Customize appearance option I mentioned in the post, you will see that you have different types of lookup results, each with a different colour. You have an Enabled checkbox for each one. Simply uncheck the checkbox of those items you do not want in the Translation results pane.

If I may, I think the yellow items are by default the LSC results, i.e. fragments or phrases that could be useful to you, found automatically by memoQ in your TM. I find that tremendously useful, especially as the translation memory grows, since memoQ might save you a lot of time checking for concordances (Ctrl+K). I would encourage you to keep that option on for some weeks and see whether they can be useful to you as well.
Collapse

Svetlana Podkolzina
Svetlana Podkolzina  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Russian
+ ...
MUCHAS GRACIAS! Oct 16, 2019

Hi Tomás,

I have finally found this topic after endless reinstallations of MemoQ and going in circle, trying to find out, why the results pane is not visible anymore!

Thank you so much for posting this!

I just wish there was an error message in MemoQ allowing us to find out about the broken XML!

Kindest regards from Portugal,

Svetlana

Isabella Becker
Isabella Becker  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
Thanks Mar 6, 2020

You saved my day!!!
Thanks

Chiara Di Modica
Chiara Di Modica  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Another life saved! Nov 20, 2023

Just came here to thank you, I was completely lost, thanks so much for sharing your solution!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ 8 - Empty Translation results pane - FIXED

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »