It is allowed for the delivered MemoQ file to have blank segments?
Thread poster: jyuan_us
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:39
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dec 5, 2018

The client assigned me a file to work from Chinese to English, which contains a "bilingual" glossary. On the glossary, Segment 1 is an English phrase, Segment 2 is its Chinese translation. Segment 3 is an English phrase, Segment 4 is its Chinese translation. It is in this format until Segment 1000.

In the target language column, the 2 segments of each segment pairs will have exactly the same English phrase, but the client don't want the English phrase to repeat themselves. This mean
... See more
The client assigned me a file to work from Chinese to English, which contains a "bilingual" glossary. On the glossary, Segment 1 is an English phrase, Segment 2 is its Chinese translation. Segment 3 is an English phrase, Segment 4 is its Chinese translation. It is in this format until Segment 1000.

In the target language column, the 2 segments of each segment pairs will have exactly the same English phrase, but the client don't want the English phrase to repeat themselves. This means I may need to leave Segment 2, 4 (and all of the even number segments until Segment 1000) blank.

Is leaving a segment blank on the target language column permitted?"

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:39
Danish to English
+ ...
Empty segments Dec 5, 2018

You can't confirm an empty segment, but you can put one space in it and confirm it.

Alternatively you can leave it blank and not confirm it. If you export the document, MemoQ will ask if you want to copy the source into the empty segments.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:39
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your quick help Dec 5, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

You can't confirm an empty segment, but you can put one space in it and confirm it.

Alternatively you can leave it blank and not confirm it. If you export the document, MemoQ will ask if you want to copy the source into the empty segments.

I will get it done the way you described.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

It is allowed for the delivered MemoQ file to have blank segments?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »