Thread poster: Dr. Julian Keogh
Dr. Julian Keogh
Dr. Julian Keogh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:10
Member (2007)
German to English
Feb 19, 2019

I recently worked on a larger translation in memoQ for a client consisting of about 65000 words spread across about 20 odd thousand translation units. I was a second editor on the project. I chose to work both in the web server version of memoQ where the project was set up, as well as the software version on my laptop. the reason i did this was because the translation was mostly of a table, and in the server version the TUs can be confirmed much more quickly. the software version however allows ... See more
I recently worked on a larger translation in memoQ for a client consisting of about 65000 words spread across about 20 odd thousand translation units. I was a second editor on the project. I chose to work both in the web server version of memoQ where the project was set up, as well as the software version on my laptop. the reason i did this was because the translation was mostly of a table, and in the server version the TUs can be confirmed much more quickly. the software version however allows autopropagation of changes, which was very handy since about 50% of the translation actually originated from multiple repetitions of the same strings.

Any way I did not split or join any segments, so the number of TUs in the translation wass always constant.

After working several days and synchronising on the web server, it appears that a large number of translation units simply disappeared from the server version, and it seems that the ones that disappeared were mostly ones that I had already confirmed, since the server was reporting only a small proportion of the TUs as confirmed after the sync. When I worked on the software version, it didnt take long for my local copy to sync and also report as being much smaller. Two days later the same thing happened again upon synchronisation from the web server app, and the translation was somehow reduced to 22500 words.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this? And how was the matter resolved ? This is not only annoying but bad for my reputation, being the second editor it disturbs me that somehow a lot of the already performed translation seems to have irrevocably disappeared, and initially the gun is pointing at my head after all since I was the one who synced the work.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 10:10
Chinese to English
+ ...
TM? Feb 20, 2019

Are the translations in the TM at all?

Olaf Schutze (X)
Olaf Schutze (X)  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to German
+ ...
unclear to me Feb 20, 2019

"After working several days and synchronising on the web server, it appears that a large number of translation units simply disappeared from the server version, and it seems that the ones that disappeared were mostly ones that I had already confirmed, since the server was reporting only a small proportion of the TUs as confirmed after the sync"
Sounds a bit unclear to me.

- web server?
- a large number of translation units simply disappeared from the server version?... See more
"After working several days and synchronising on the web server, it appears that a large number of translation units simply disappeared from the server version, and it seems that the ones that disappeared were mostly ones that I had already confirmed, since the server was reporting only a small proportion of the TUs as confirmed after the sync"
Sounds a bit unclear to me.

- web server?
- a large number of translation units simply disappeared from the server version?

As long you have the "confirmed" or saved segments, you still can reset them to edit and add to a TM again.
- Windows roll-back?
- Local or remote projecte/TMs ?
- Any backups made from MemoQ or windows backups?
- A corrupted TM, just disabled by MemoQ?
- " web server, it appears that a large number of translation units simply disappeared from the server version, and it seems that the ones that disappeared were mostly ones that I had already confirmed" maybe by accident a local TM used?

[Edited at 2019-02-20 09:54 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ translation units lost upon synchronisation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »