Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
I ... Nov 5, 2020

... don't have any instructive or fun videos to show people. I feel so naked. Sniff.

Meanwhile, I see not only did "Doorkins Magnificat" pass away, but the thread did too. Rule 1. Pussy news is off limits.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Well I never Nov 5, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... don't have any instructive or fun videos to show people. I feel so naked. Sniff.

Meanwhile, I see not only did "Doorkins Magnificat" pass away, but the thread did too. Rule 1. Pussy news is off limits.

I know, I've just received a notification from the powers that be. I can't be bovvered to go and read those byzantine rules again, but I'm puzzled.

Lemme get this straight: you can open a thread called What about the Menz!? – Wimmin bad, dudes held back by international feminazi conspiracy (and overzealous proofreaders), fill it with all kind of delirious bovine manure, and go on and on and on with it for over a month, but posting a requiem for a remarkable cat, with illuminating quotes from the Book, is a no-no. OK.

Mervyn, your contribution here is both instructive and fun, you're supremely infotaining.

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:05
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Schlager" Nov 5, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

I didn't know Barry White.

Hi Exy, then you're in for a treat. He was immense. Like Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, and Aretha Franklyn.

I live in a country that – while blessed with a wonderful sense of aesthetics – musically leaves a lot to be desired. One of the most famous songs here has the evocative title of Bier en tieten.

They also share a love for Schlager with their German neighbours, a genre of European music you can read about here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/08/ja-ja-ding-dong-how-schlager-found-its-joyful-place-pop-eurovision

Many thanks. PLF Persio.
My younger sister might know the "Schlager" genre.
I remember when she was living in Iceland, she used to send me songs via Messenger
(Of course I didn't understand Icelandic lyrics... Even today I wonder how she learned this language!)
Those songs had the same rhythm as the song of Helene Fischer, the “queen of schlager” I have just listened from that link.
Don't say that You live in The Netherlands, right? What about Anouk? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XinhotCXE-4

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
¡Olé! Nov 5, 2020

Two emails ended up in my spam folder. I got them too.
I was so focused on reading the article that PLF Persio posted here that I didn't even see those messages!
Bastet was not cute enough...
We can see hidden or closed threads, but why not banning some rude members that come here to pollute the air and our profession?

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Schlager Nov 5, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

I remember when she was living in Iceland, she used to send me songs via Messenger
(Of course I didn't understand Icelandic lyrics... Even today I wonder how she learned this language!)
Those songs had the same rhythm as the song of Helene Fischer, the “queen of schlager” I have just listened from that link.
Don't say that You live in The Netherlands, right? What about Anouk? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XinhotCXE-4

Did she really learn Icelandic? She must be a genius!

Anouk writes and sings mostly in English, and she's quite good. But whenever there's a party here, or a celebration, they all join in raucous sing-alongs, with the ever popular song mentioned above, plus Viva Hollandia, and the Dutch version of Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline. These are their evergreens. I have to say that they really enjoy singing and dancing, and you can see that their fun is genuine and contagious.

[Edited at 2020-11-05 16:19 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
AARGH Nov 5, 2020

AARGH

I've just heard someone on CNN say "We'll be back momentarily".

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Shouldn’t you be pleased? Nov 5, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

AARGH

Isn’t that just what you want?

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm the genius one :-D Nov 5, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

Did she really learn Icelandic? She must be a genius!

Anouk writes and sings mostly in English, and she's quite good. But whenever there's a party here, or a celebration, they all join in raucous sing-alongs, with the ever popular song above mentioned, plus Viva Hollandia, and the Dutch version of Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline. These are their evergreens. I have to say that they really enjoy singing and dancing, and you can see that their fun is genuine and contagious.

I'm just kidding around, don't take me seriously. I'm no genius at all.
I like Anouk's voice! Yes, I could see from the videos, they can really feel it and sing with passion.
She learned German at secondary school. I think this helped her. She always loved these tricky languages, so I think she is my little "genius"

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just great! Nov 5, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

PLF Persio is totally right. You don't need to feel naked. You are already fun and instructive... just great!

P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No Nov 5, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

AARGH

Isn’t that just what you want?

No. I don't want them to come back momentarily. I want them to come back and stay for a long time.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
This just in: Nov 5, 2020

Reports are coming in that the CNN phone-in line has been blocked for most of the afternoon with what bosses described as “nuisance calls”. A man calling himself the Linguistic Avenger and claiming to speak for “those whom the government would gladly silence” repeatedly rang in to complain about the use of “momentarily” and “gotten”, among other “ridiculous faux pas” going out live on the channel. He was particularly irate that this “outrageous and unacceptable” diction c... See more
Reports are coming in that the CNN phone-in line has been blocked for most of the afternoon with what bosses described as “nuisance calls”. A man calling himself the Linguistic Avenger and claiming to speak for “those whom the government would gladly silence” repeatedly rang in to complain about the use of “momentarily” and “gotten”, among other “ridiculous faux pas” going out live on the channel. He was particularly irate that this “outrageous and unacceptable” diction could be heard well before the evening watershed for children.

When CNN eventually terminated the first conversation, he rang back instantly to add that he had been counting the number of times the word “gotten” had been used so far today, and that he was “keeping an eye on you, don’t think I’m not”. The CNN telephonist then asked “So, what’s the problem, like, fellow?”, whereupon the Linguistic Avenger said “Doh! You see, that’s exactly what I mean. The word “like” can only be used if something is pleasing to someone, or if you are making some kind of comparison, and clearly neither scenario is applicable in this case, so please refrain from using the word “like” so lightly, not to mention whimsically, recklessly, and I would even go so far as to say offensively.”

CNN then said, “We’ll bear it in mind, thanks for calling, and have a nice day”, whereupon the Linguistic Avenger exploded and shouted “Thank you so, so much, but I have other plans. You haven’t heard the last of me!”
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Thomas T. Frost
Zibow Retailleau

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
In the nuddy Nov 5, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
I feel so naked.

Don't worry. It can be quite liberating. I always post naked.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Please don't do this to me :-D Nov 5, 2020

I was drinking my coffee while reading these last 3 posts... my screen!
Nice dark background you have now, Exy!

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Literally Nov 5, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Reports are coming in that the CNN phone-in line has been blocked for most of the afternoon with what bosses described as “nuisance calls”. A man calling himself the Linguistic Avenger and claiming to speak for “those whom the government would gladly silence” repeatedly rang in to complain about the use of “momentarily” and “gotten”, among other “ridiculous faux pas” going out live on the channel. He was particularly irate that this “outrageous and unacceptable” diction could be heard well before the evening watershed for children.

When CNN eventually terminated the first conversation, he rang back instantly to add that he had been counting the number of times the word “gotten” had been used so far today, and that he was “keeping an eye on you, don’t think I’m not”. The CNN telephonist then asked “So, what’s the problem, like, fellow?”, whereupon the Linguistic Avenger said “Doh! You see, that’s exactly what I mean. The word “like” can only be used if something is pleasing to someone, or if you are making some kind of comparison, and clearly neither scenario is applicable in this case, so please refrain from using the word “like” so lightly, not to mention whimsically, recklessly, and I would even go so far as to say offensively.”

CNN then said, “We’ll bear it in mind, thanks for calling, and have a nice day”, whereupon the Linguistic Avenger exploded and shouted “Thank you so, so much, but I have other plans. You haven’t heard the last of me!”

CNN continued, “He literally tried to reach out to us dozens of times. When he heard someone else in our office say, ‘I could care less what he thinks,’ the audio on the line became distorted, presumably due to excessive noise at the other end, so we decided to terminate the call.”

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I love you all Nov 5, 2020

"too much"!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »