Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:42
Danish to English
+ ...
Tiles Oct 17, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

"Erbswurst" is not retired yet. We even engraved the famous pea soup on Portuguese tiles!
http://garfadasonline.blogspot.com/2013/06/um-painel-de-azulejos-knorr.html
I will bring it!

Interesting that German soup has attracted so much interest in Portugal.

But won't the tiles be a bit hard on the teeth?

expressisverbis
Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
We have good dentists and Oct 17, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

"Erbswurst" is not retired yet. We even engraved the famous pea soup on Portuguese tiles!
I will bring it!

Interesting that German soup has attracted so much interest in Portugal.

But won't the tiles be a bit hard on the teeth?

we also have strong healthy teeth

Thomas T. Frost

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:42
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Great! Oct 18, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Erbswurst was discontinued in 2019, so it will be a bit of a challenge to try it.

http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9878
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erbswurst

I will bring it!

I will have a look on it later, perhaps these tiles may contain a wrong set apostrophe or anything else, which should lead to a reaction on level 2 or 3 (at least). Thank you for sharing!

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check out the little girl on the tile to the right Oct 18, 2020

A rather disturbing stare, that. Maybe she's just fed up being the stirrer, while her sister - I suppose - is Chief Taster. Keep that one well away from the strychnine in the cabinet, that's my advice, because she might just slip in a spoon or two of it when your back's turned. By the looks of things, in fact, that might be exactly what she's just done. Soricide by soup. Yes, all those years of just looking on as Big Sis tastes the Knorr turn you mean and bitter in the end. She wasn't given a ch... See more
A rather disturbing stare, that. Maybe she's just fed up being the stirrer, while her sister - I suppose - is Chief Taster. Keep that one well away from the strychnine in the cabinet, that's my advice, because she might just slip in a spoon or two of it when your back's turned. By the looks of things, in fact, that might be exactly what she's just done. Soricide by soup. Yes, all those years of just looking on as Big Sis tastes the Knorr turn you mean and bitter in the end. She wasn't given a chef's hat, either, and even little brother, obviously the commis chef here, and not even allowed to look up, got one of those. Or is the other one little sister? Hard to tell. But hopefully it is a third sister, because otherwise he must hate wearing that dress affair. Come to think of it, Chief Taster is a little macabre too, but then you can't see her mouth. Is that a cruel, mocking smile behind the spoon? Again, it's hard to tell, but she's obviously in charge. The skivvies made the soup while she was still asleep, and then called her down still in her robe.

[Edited at 2020-10-18 12:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-18 12:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-18 12:16 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
And I checked out the guy on the left ... Oct 18, 2020

... in the poster, possibly showing the young Joseph Goebbels, the later Minister of Propaganda, and the boys on the right, properly dressed in brown uniforms, and the text, recommending the soup for the "marching youth": Okay, no pea soup then made from Erbswurst. I will do the job by myself, with no chef hat on.

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A sinister tile Oct 18, 2020

Yesterday, after my last post, a big tile fall on my head.
I am still solving it, and technicians most part of the time don't help at all.
Although, I am a bit sad and upset, it is always a pleasure to read you!

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Anyone you can sue? Oct 18, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Yesterday, after my last post, a big tile fall on my head.
I am still solving it, and technicians most part of the time don't help at all.
Although, I am a bit sad and upset, it is always a pleasure to read you!

It sounds as if the soup tiles were a bad omen. I’m glad you’re still able to write, but it must’ve been an unpleasant experience. I hope the rest of the building is still standing. In the US, you could probably have sued someone for $5 mio.

expressisverbis

herry zuk (X)
herry zuk (X)
United States
Russian to Polish
+ ...
about me Oct 18, 2020

Hello! I'm new here too. my name is Gerry and this forum is a treasure trove of useful information! I hope to meet like-minded people here and learn new information!

Michael Wetzel

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Tom? Oct 19, 2020

herry zuk wrote:

Hello! I'm new here too. my name is Gerry

[Bearbeitet am 2020-10-19 06:02 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tile take two Oct 19, 2020

Actually, if you go down the page a little, the same scene is in full colour, and not so sinister this time. Almost happy, in fact. As well it might - after all, they're trying to sell this stuff. And the Potential Poisoner has even managed a little smile. Chief Taster, though, still looks rather sneaky. Maybe she's planning on slurping up all that soup on her own. But the cross-dresser on the left remains depressed. Still trying to figure out whether he's a boy or a girl, I suppose.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Earn big monies fast Oct 19, 2020

herry zuk wrote:

Hello! I'm new here too. my name is Gerry and this forum is a treasure trove of useful information! I hope to meet like-minded people here and learn new information!

Welcome in here Gery!!
I represent Global International Translation Talent Scout Service Organization. We are seeking always the hot babes from Poland and Czech for amazing biz opportunitty. PM me for learn how to pay small joining fee.

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
You forgot ... Oct 19, 2020

Chris S wrote:
Welcome in here Gery!!
I represent Global International Translation Talent Scout Service Organization. We are seeking always the hot babes from Poland and Czech for amazing biz opportunitty. PM me for learn how to pay small joining fee.

... to sign as "President" or "Senior Recruitment Manager" and you did not start with "Greetings!!!".

Tom in London
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
More tile Oct 19, 2020

The kid brooding silently on the left reminds me of something from my past. Looks like the type who might not eat up his Erbewurst or his Knorr … my dad was a French and German teacher at my old school, and I was in his French class for three or four years too, and he taught me German at home for me to do the O Level exam externally. He was an enthusiast not only of the languages, but also of their people, and nearly every year we went to France on holidays, or Germany, and on one occasion bot... See more
The kid brooding silently on the left reminds me of something from my past. Looks like the type who might not eat up his Erbewurst or his Knorr … my dad was a French and German teacher at my old school, and I was in his French class for three or four years too, and he taught me German at home for me to do the O Level exam externally. He was an enthusiast not only of the languages, but also of their people, and nearly every year we went to France on holidays, or Germany, and on one occasion both. Back in the day he’d lived in Germany for a year or so with my mum, and I could well have been born there, in fact, but that’s another story. Anyway, this worked the other way around too, and so as I was growing up, French and German people were always coming to our house, sometimes with their kids in tow, and there were always papers and books and lots of stuff written in the languages lying around our house.

What sticks out in my memory, though, was a book for German children, a story book with pictures. But a lot more sinister than Knorr … there was a little boy in the story, but the illustrators had done their best to make him look unpleasant, so he was a fat kid with a permanent scowl. I’m pretty sure the story was that he refused to eat up his greens or something, stamped his foot and threw tantrums and the rest of it, and his parents told him if he didn’t eat up, the something-or-other-Man would get him, kind of like our Bogeyman. But he paid no heed to his parents, and stomped around and shouted, and then one day Der Fingerschnitter or whatever he was called came along with a huge pair of shears and cut his fingers off! I remember the pictures with the blood and all, and the kid shrieking. It struck us as rather over the top for kids, but it must have put the fear of God into a generation or two. So the kid on the tile had better watch out.

[Edited at 2020-10-19 10:22 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
And Oct 19, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Chris S wrote:
Welcome in here Gery!!

... to sign as "President" or "Senior Recruitment Manager" and you did not start with "Greetings!!!".

And you didn't say "Have a nice day". Nor did you mention "onboarding".

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Deleted Oct 19, 2020

vvvvvv

[Edited at 2020-10-19 10:29 GMT]

Matthias Brombach

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »