Thread poster: Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Hungary
Local time: 02:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 3, 2014

I have done some browsing in this forum but I haven't found an answer. I was wondering if there is any way I can have the segment to be translated empty, i.e. without the original translation. For example, right when I click on a segment the same words appear below. I will use the words "not available" as the text sample.

Eg.

Not available
Not available

What I would like to have:

Not available

Thanks in advance.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, you have to put something in there Nov 3, 2014

Oscar Rivera wrote:
I was wondering if there is any way I can have the segment to be translated empty, i.e. without the original translation.

No, but you can type a space in it. If you leave it empty, OmegaT will assume that you want to leave it untranslated, and it will copy the source text into the target document. If you want to have it removed from the target file, you have to type something, e.g. a space, or a unique string which you can find/replace with "nothing" in the target file (assuming you have an editor for the target file).

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Set empty translation Nov 3, 2014

Does this option do what you want? It is located in the context menu.

When you right-click in a segment to be translated, there is an option "Set empty translation". If you choose that and then move to another segment, you will see "" on the line where translated text is usually found. Then, when you create the translated document, no text will appear in that segment. Also, the "" placeholder will be propagated throughout the document whenever the source segment is repeated.
<
... See more

When you right-click in a segment to be translated, there is an option "Set empty translation". If you choose that and then move to another segment, you will see "" on the line where translated text is usually found. Then, when you create the translated document, no text will appear in that segment. Also, the "" placeholder will be propagated throughout the document whenever the source segment is repeated.

According to the change log, this option has been available since OmegaT 2.5.0 update 3 (2011-11-16).
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Available since 2.5.0 Nov 3, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

Oscar Rivera wrote:
I was wondering if there is any way I can have the segment to be translated empty, i.e. without the original translation.

No, but you can type a space in it. If you leave it empty, OmegaT will assume that you want to leave it untranslated, and it will copy the source text into the target document. If you want to have it removed from the target file, you have to type something, e.g. a space, or a unique string which you can find/replace with "nothing" in the target file (assuming you have an editor for the target file).

As John has written, defining empty translations is possible. It is available since 2.5.0. From changes.txt:
2.5.0 update 3 vs. 2.5.0 update 2

Empty translations are now allowed. They are displayed as <EMPTY>
in the Editor. To create one, right-click in a segment, and select
"Set empty translation".

Didier

Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Hungary
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Nov 3, 2014

@Samuel, Thanks for your answer. I was working on a translation and there was a repeated word that was separated from the sentence and used a space to avoid translating it.

John Holland wrote:

According to the change log, this option has been available since OmegaT 2.5.0 update 3 (2011-11-16).

This is exactly what I was aiming at. I need to have a clear segment to either copy and paste or translate directly in it. Thank you, John.

@Didier, I am running OmegaT 2.5.5 at the moment. I tried the 2.6 and I didn't like it so I went back. I am aware that right now there's a 3. something version which I need to try asap.

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
There's no that much difference in 2.6 Nov 4, 2014

Oscar Rivera wrote:
@Didier, I am running OmegaT 2.5.5 at the moment. I tried the 2.6 and I didn't like it so I went back.

There doesn't seem to be significant differences in 2.6 compared to 2.5. What did you dislike?

Didier

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Thanks, John and Didier Nov 6, 2014

John Holland wrote:
When you right-click in a segment to be translated, there is an option "Set empty translation". If you choose that and then move to another segment, you will see "" on the line where translated text is usually found. Then, when you create the translated document, no text will appear in that segment.

Thanks, I did not know about that one. I guess I wasn't right-clicking on an active segment when I searched for such an option.

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Also in the Edit menu Nov 6, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:
Thanks, I did not know about that one. I guess I wasn't right-clicking on an active segment when I searched for such an option.

In doubt, look at the Edit menu. We try (we forget sometimes something) to have most of the things also available in the Edit menu.

Didier

Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Hungary
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dislikes about 2.6 Nov 6, 2014

Didier Briel wrote:

Oscar Rivera wrote:
@Didier, I am running OmegaT 2.5.5 at the moment. I tried the 2.6 and I didn't like it so I went back.

There doesn't seem to be significant differences in 2.6 compared to 2.5. What did you dislike?

Didier

Off the top of my head, I didn't like something basic like when I was translating a segment, the symbols "" and the word segment could be deleted when pressing the delete key. This hasn't happened to me in the 2.5. Perhaps, this could be solved but I want to make it clear that I am not a profficiente user. I am a learner on the go. Anyhow, I have to update my OmegaT as I discovered that the option "Search and Replace" was added to the 3.0 and the keyboard shortcut is "ctrl+K", if I am not mistaken.

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Probably a bug Nov 6, 2014

Oscar Rivera wrote:
Off the top of my head, I didn't like something basic like when I was translating a segment, the symbols "<" and ">" and the word segment could be deleted when pressing the delete key.

This was probably a bug, likely to be fixed by now (we're at 2.6.3 update 11).

Anyhow, I have to update my OmegaT as I discovered that the option "Search and Replace" was added to the 3.0 and the keyboard shortcut is "ctrl+K", if I am not mistaken.

Indeed. Ctrl+H is reserved by Java.

Didier

Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Hungary
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OmegaT 3.1 Nov 6, 2014

Didier Briel wrote:

Oscar Rivera wrote:
Off the top of my head, I didn't like something basic like when I was translating a segment, the symbols "" and the word "segment" could be deleted when pressing the delete key.

This was probably a bug, likely to be fixed by now (we're at 2.6.3 update 11).

Anyhow, I have to update my OmegaT as I discovered that the option "Search and Replace" was added to the 3.0 and the keyboard shortcut is "ctrl+K", if I am not mistaken.

Indeed. Ctrl+H is reserved by Java.

Didier

Didier, thanks for your answers. I just updated my version 2.5 to the 3.1 because I need to replace some incorrect terms. There are no problems with the deletion of the symbols "" and the word "segment".

Mariela Pez Miana
Mariela Pez Miana
Spain
English to Spanish
Empty segments in translated document Sep 8, 2018

Hiya!

I'm new, I've just registered to proz.
I wanted to know, is there a way for the translated document NOT to show blank lines corresponding to the empty segments?

Because the notation for dialogs in Spanish is different than the one used in English, when translating, occasionally I have to rearrange the source text and end up leaving empty segments.

Thank you!

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
It depends on the segment Sep 9, 2018

Mariela Pez Miana wrote:
I wanted to know, is there a way for the translated document NOT to show blank lines corresponding to the empty segments?

If the segment is inside a paragraph, then the empty segment will be completely invisible.

If the segment corresponds to a new paragraph in the target document (e.g., Word format), then the empty segment will display as a blank line.

There's not much we can do about.

Because the notation for dialogs in Spanish is different than the one used in English, when translating, occasionally I have to rearrange the source text and end up leaving empty segments.

Depending on the document layout, there might be different workarounds to use, but it's hard to tell without going into specifics.

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Wanted:Empty segment to be translated

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »