Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 14:22
English to French
Aug 26, 2018

Hi,

I have translated a Word file using OMEGA T, but then I checked the translated document for translation errors and typos but made corrections from Microsoft Word, which produced the final final version.

Is it possible to impart back this Word file in my Omega T project and make it an Omega T file to send to the customer, taking into account the modifications after I generated the translated version using CTRL +D in Omega T?

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
You can use the aligner Aug 27, 2018

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:
I have translated a Word file using OMEGA T, but then I checked the translated document for translation errors and typos but made corrections from Microsoft Word, which produced the final final version.

Is it possible to impart back this Word file in my Omega T project and make it an Omega T file to send to the customer, taking into account the modifications after I generated the translated version using CTRL +D in Omega T?

You can do it by aligning the source and the translated document. The aligner is available in OmegaT 4.
Once you have a TMX from the alignment, you can put it in the /tm/enforce folder.

Didier

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Text yes, formatting no Aug 27, 2018

Is it possible to impart back this Word file in my OmegaT project and make it an OmegaT file to send to the customer, taking into account the modifications after I generated the translated version using CTRL +D in OmegaT?

As Didier said, you can take the original source file and align it with the most current version of the target file, and then drop the resulting TMX file into /tm/enforce/. However, this applies only to textual changes. Any changes that you made to the formatting will be lost, because OmegaT is using the original source file to generate the new target file.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
It depends on the formatting changes Aug 27, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:
Is it possible to impart back this Word file in my OmegaT project and make it an OmegaT file to send to the customer, taking into account the modifications after I generated the translated version using CTRL +D in OmegaT?

As Didier said, you can take the original source file and align it with the most current version of the target file, and then drop the resulting TMX file into /tm/enforce/. However, this applies only to textual changes. Any changes that you made to the formatting will be lost, because OmegaT is using the original source file to generate the new target file.

It depends on the formatting changes. OmegaT uses the original source file and the content of the target segments. If tags were moved, for instance, this will be reflected in the aligned TMX.

Didier

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
What about updating formatting changes? Aug 27, 2018

Didier Briel wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

It depends on the formatting changes. OmegaT uses the original source file and the content of the target segments. If tags were moved, for instance, this will be reflected in the aligned TMX.

Didier

Thank you very much Didier for your anwser. Do you think SDL Trados 2011 allows to take into account formatting changes in the updated translated document back into the original Omega T document?

Formatting changes are very important. They need to be reflected back into the CAT tool with the alignment tool.

Or do you know a free CAT tool that allows that? Maybe Wordfast Anywhere? Another one?

Right now I like Omega T very much: very simple to use, light and yet powerful, and good results...But probably less powerful than SDL Trados in terms of functionalities (you can't have both generally speaking).

It is a shame that a lot of translation agencies only accept freelance translators with SDL Trados, because Wordfast and Omega T are good CAT tools too..

[Edited at 2018-08-27 16:39 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Didier Aug 27, 2018

Didier Briel wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Any changes that you made to the formatting will be lost...

It depends on the formatting changes. ... If tags were moved, for instance, this will be reflected in the aligned TMX.

You're right, I forgot about formatting within segments. I was thinking more of things like page margins, broken lists, line and paragraph spacing, justification, etc.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to reimport final translated version back into OMEGA T CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »