Arabic - punctuation errors after creating the translated document
Thread poster: Peter Kovacik
Peter Kovacik
Peter Kovacik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:19
Arabic to English
Jan 17, 2019

I am using OmegaT 4.1.5_3 to translate Arabic with Microsoft Word, but I am having some problems with the punctuation at the end of sentences in the translated document.

For example, if my translation inside of OmegaT was: 'This is a test.' then the resulting translated document will have right alingment and RTL text direction displaying '.This is a test'. The problem is that even after changing the document to LTR text direction and left alignment, the translated document will s
... See more
I am using OmegaT 4.1.5_3 to translate Arabic with Microsoft Word, but I am having some problems with the punctuation at the end of sentences in the translated document.

For example, if my translation inside of OmegaT was: 'This is a test.' then the resulting translated document will have right alingment and RTL text direction displaying '.This is a test'. The problem is that even after changing the document to LTR text direction and left alignment, the translated document will still appear as '.This is a test' with the period at the beginning of the sentence.

Does anyone know how to correct this issue?
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:19
English to French
+ ...
Use the Yahoo support group Jan 17, 2019

Peter Kovacik wrote:

For example, if my translation inside of OmegaT was: 'This is a test.' then the resulting translated document will have right alingment and RTL text direction displaying '.This is a test'.

Although I do not understand Arabic, I can reproduce it with a test document.

I checked, and the target XML document (inside the .docx container) has correctly 'This is a text.', so the issue must be a parameter somewhere in Word.

The problem is that even after changing the document to LTR text direction and left alignment, the translated document will still appear as '.This is a test' with the period at the beginning of the sentence.

Does anyone know how to correct this issue?

I don't, but you have a much better chance finding someone knowledgeable about this in the Yahoo support group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/info

I know we have Arabic to LTR language users.

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Arabic - punctuation errors after creating the translated document

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »