Please suggest a review tool that exports Xliff files to Word or Excel with Glossary suggesitons
Thread poster: Susmith Sudarsanan
Susmith Sudarsanan
Susmith Sudarsanan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:59
Member (2008)
English to Malayalam
+ ...
Feb 23, 2019

Hi All,

Please suggest a review tool that can export CAT tool Xliff files to a word or excel document with the option to make changes and annotations with Glossary suggestion on the rightmost side of the page. Have received similar files from clients for review, which I found very helpful.

My native language Malayalam is not supported by Trados or MemoQ editors. We type content in notepad and copy paste into Trados or MemoQ or translate the files using Heartsome Transla
... See more
Hi All,

Please suggest a review tool that can export CAT tool Xliff files to a word or excel document with the option to make changes and annotations with Glossary suggestion on the rightmost side of the page. Have received similar files from clients for review, which I found very helpful.

My native language Malayalam is not supported by Trados or MemoQ editors. We type content in notepad and copy paste into Trados or MemoQ or translate the files using Heartsome Translation Studio. Heartsome Translation Studio is Java-based, so it supports Unicode properly.

Please also suggest any other tools that can be helpful in review.

Regards,

Susmith Sudarsanan
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant Feb 23, 2019

Susmith Sudarsanan wrote:

Please suggest a review tool that can export CAT tool Xliff files to a word or excel document with the option to make changes and annotations with Glossary suggestion on the rightmost side of the page.

Have a look at CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant (www.cafetran.com ). Via the Project menu you can export XLIFF files as bilingual MS-Word documents. You can add an extra column for notes etc. This works for SDLXLIFF (SDL Studio) too.

CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant is Java-based, so it supports Unicode properly.

[Edited at 2019-02-23 08:54 GMT]

Susmith Sudarsanan
India
Member (2008)
English to Malayalam
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary also integrated Feb 23, 2019

I would require something that has segment wise suggest of terms from the glossary database applicable for each segment.

Susmith Sudarsanan
India
Member (2008)
English to Malayalam
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary also integrated Feb 23, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

Please suggest a review tool that can export CAT tool Xliff files to a word or excel document with the option to make changes and annotations with Glossary suggestion on the rightmost side of the page.

Have a look at CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant (www.cafetran.com ). Via the Project menu you can export XLIFF files as bilingual MS-Word documents. You can add an extra column for notes etc.

CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant is Java-based, so it supports Unicode properly.

[Edited at 2019-02-23 07:20 GMT]

I would require something that also has segment wise suggestion of terms from the glossary database

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Maybe WFP3 (not sure about WFP5) Feb 23, 2019

I would require something that also has segment wise suggestion of terms from the glossary database.

I've seen files like the one you describe, but I don't know what generates it.

In the method described below, the glossary matches are in a separate file (a TransCheck report), and if a segment has no glossary matches, the TransCheck report doesn't have an entry for that segment either.

--

Please suggest a review tool that can export CAT tool XLIFF files to a Word or Excel document with the option to make changes and annotations with glossary suggestions on the rightmost side of the page. Have received similar files from clients for review, which I found very helpful.

WFP3 and WPF5 are Java based, but I can't comment on whether Malayalam is supported. I don't know much about WFP5, but WFP3 has two features that you could combine to get this result. You can use a trial version to perform these steps, AFAIK (the trial version's limit lies mostly in the size of the TM).

In WFP3, you can do a "bilingual review" export to MS Word, which yields a four column MS Word file (segment number, source text, target text, and comment column). Unlike similar features some tools (Trados comes to mind), you can also use the "bilingual review" feature on untranslated files (then the target column is empty). If multiple people comment on a file, make sure each of them prepend their comment with a user ID, because WFP3 can't distinguish between different editors when importing.

If you open XLIFF files in WFP3, WFP3 converts it into its own format, TXML. Then export to DOC ("bilingual review"), then make your edits, and then import the DOC back into the TXML file, and then "save as target" to create the XLIFF file again.

WFP3's "TransCheck" feature can check each segment against one or more glossaries, and then generate a report in HTML format. So, you can use TransCheck to create the glossary look-up aspect that you spoke of, but it'll be a separate file.

The process in WFP5 would probably be similar, although some aspects of it may work different. Both WFP3 and WFP5 are programs with slow UIs (WFP5 being about twice as slow as WFP3) (although not much slower than Trados or MemoQ), but if you do most of the work in MS Word, then that won't affect you. The import/export portions in WFP3 tend to be faster than in e.g. Trados.

We ... translate the files using Heartsome Translation Studio.

I don't know Heartsome well, but if I understand correctly, Heartsome edits XLIFF files directly, without converting it to its own format. WFP3 converts XLIFF files to TXML, and WFP5 converts XLIFF files to its own variant of XLIFF called TXLF, but in both cases the XLIFF file get converted to something else and then back to the original XLIFF format using "save as" or "clean up" or suchlike. This means that in both WFP3 and WFP5 you may not be able to see things like segment statuses (if that is something that is important to you). I'm not sure how Heartsome deals with segment statuses.

[Edited at 2019-02-23 08:47 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Auto-assembling Feb 23, 2019

I would require something that has segment wise suggest of terms from the glossary database applicable for each segment.

You can do that via auto-assembling: have all alternative target terms listed per segment. I'll explain the details via PM, if in the end you decide to give CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant a try.

ELS

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Susmith Feb 23, 2019

Hmm, WFP5's bilingual review does give you the option to load glossaries, and then the DOC file will contain glossary information on a per-segment basis, but as Word comments (not as a separate column). As with most things in WFP5, this feature is half-baked (not to mention, you'd have to figure out how glossaries work in WFP5, which isn't straight-forward). However, for the sake of disclosure, this is what it looks like:

wfpt5 export 1
wfpt5 export 2

[Edited at 2019-02-23 11:12 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans Feb 23, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

You can do that via auto-assembling: have all alternative target terms listed per segment.

Does this work in the bilingual review export file, or does this only work inside CafeTran? Where does it put the terms, then... inside the target field itself, or in a separate field?

Susmith Sudarsanan
India
Member (2008)
English to Malayalam
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Screenshot of a sample file how this should look Feb 4, 2020

I am sorry for this delayed reply. Below you will find a screenshot of how this would look in the end, sometimes there will be a length/character limitation field too.

Capture (1)

@Hans I am willing to give it a try if this would work the way I am anticipating it to.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Notes Feb 4, 2020

You can manually add notes to segments. These notes will be exported in the bilingual review document too:

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 07.52.44

If you'd want to use an automated way to insert all term pairs in segment notes, you'll have to contact the developer directly at https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/tickets .

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please suggest a review tool that exports Xliff files to Word or Excel with Glossary suggesitons

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »