Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Local time: 05:02
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My input May 8, 2019

Hi Gloria,

My standard rate for editing is Euro 0.03 or USD 0.04.

Have a nice day!

Natalia

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:02
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
There is no standard rate May 8, 2019

Gloria Samperio wrote:
Thank yo in advance for telling me the stanbdard rates for editing services,

Editing should always be quoted as an hourly rate. It's the only way that makes any sense as the time needed depends on rhe quality of the translation, not on your own skills and expertise. And only you know how much you want/need to earn for an hour's work.

The only time you can quote per word is when you've seen the text and can estimate how long it will take. Then you can convert that time to a per-word quote - for that job only.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christine Andersen
philgoddard

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:02
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
There are really no standard rates May 8, 2019

There can be no standard rates, because there is no simple standard procedure, and some texts take much longer than others per thousand words.

One respected colleague suggested a quarter or a third of your rate for translation - but she did not accept substandard work! Her rate would be for checking good quality translations against the source and giving them the final polish.

The rate will also depend on who is responsible for checking the terminology, among other fact
... See more
There can be no standard rates, because there is no simple standard procedure, and some texts take much longer than others per thousand words.

One respected colleague suggested a quarter or a third of your rate for translation - but she did not accept substandard work! Her rate would be for checking good quality translations against the source and giving them the final polish.

The rate will also depend on who is responsible for checking the terminology, among other factors.
At one time I used to edit work by subject experts who wrote very good English, but were not native speakers, and it was never necessary to check their legal or technical terminology - indeed, I learned a lot from them, because they knew more about their subjects than I did.

Later, I had done more training and was editing beginners' work, and could see that the terminology needed checking too. As soon as you start doing that, you need dramatically more time! Somebody has to help beginners along the way, but you should be paid properly for it.

Always agree with the client what you are expected to do, because it varies from text to text. Clients do not always know what is involved, so it can be difficult, but if they are not prepared to pay for your time one way or another, then turn down the job!

I typically make an estimate, add on an hour or 25% when I quote, and tell the client I will give a discount on the invoice if I need less time. I often spend more time than I expected, but I never charge more than the quote, and I try to give at least a token discount.

Machine translation is a separate issue again.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Carolina Finley

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

rates for editing services ENG>SPL

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »