How much does it take a professional to timestamp/timecode 1 hour, manually?
Thread poster: Karla Aquino da Silva
Karla Aquino da Silva
Karla Aquino da Silva
Brazil
Local time: 17:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 17, 2020

Hi there!

I am having some trouble to timestamp some audios, in my case is only audios to the transcrption. I Have to sync them. It is extra hard and time-consuming especially when there are lots of overlaps.
I´d like to know how much is it charged to do so, manually, and how long does it take to timestamp 1-hour audio.

Thank you!

Larissa Timm

Sana Hilal
Sana Hilal  Identity Verified
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Express Scribe May 17, 2020

1 hour take aprox. 6 hours. You can download Express Scribe (free trial) this software help a lot with timestamp.

Aline Amorim

Turdimurod Rakhmanov
Turdimurod Rakhmanov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 02:58
Member (2014)
English to Uzbek
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It depends May 17, 2020

Hi,
It depends on how fast you work and how you are experienced in that, the audio quality.
For the first time I did it took longer time. After some hours, I got used and did it faster.
Before I used to spend one hour for one hour audio to timestamp,
Now I can do it within 15-20 minutes, of course, it also depends on the quality of your audio recording.

[Edited at 2020-05-17 18:55 GMT]

Chico1980
Chico1980  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:58
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree May 17, 2020

Agree with Sana Hilal. Express Scribe is awesome for that and it costs USD20. Single payment.

Sana Hilal
Aline Amorim

Karla Aquino da Silva
Karla Aquino da Silva
Brazil
Local time: 17:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your replies May 17, 2020

I am taking lots of time doing it manually. Not worth the trouble.
I'm gonna download Express Scribe, for sure. It is a nice budget and I can also use the 30 minutes.
Have a nice day/evening/night.

Sana Hilal

Thierry Martial NIANGORAN
Thierry Martial NIANGORAN  Identity Verified
Cote D'ivoire
Local time: 20:58
Member (2019)
English to French
+ ...
How to make manual transcription easy and fast with Express Scribe May 17, 2020

Transcribing 1 hour audio manually will normally take a transcriber between 5 and 7 hours depending on your experience, audio quality and output format required by client. Express scribe as mentioned above is a software that will make your life easier as a transcriber.
1) Transcribe directly in the notes area of the software. This will spare you navigating between 2 software. Then you can convert your transcription to the format required by your client or copy and paste in the template pro
... See more
Transcribing 1 hour audio manually will normally take a transcriber between 5 and 7 hours depending on your experience, audio quality and output format required by client. Express scribe as mentioned above is a software that will make your life easier as a transcriber.
1) Transcribe directly in the notes area of the software. This will spare you navigating between 2 software. Then you can convert your transcription to the format required by your client or copy and paste in the template provided by your client.
2) Configure the shortcuts in order to use the main functions in 1 (or maximum 2) keystrokes: play, pause, slow speed, fast forward and rewind. (go to Options and then Hotkeys)
3) Use Ctrl+shift+t to insert timestamps automatically. You will thus avoid mistakes while writing time manually. You can even configure a shorter shortcut in the options in order to go faster.
4) If you prefer transcribing directly on a Word.doc or in the template of your client, use the scribe Miniscreen of Express scribe and make it float above other windows (View and then Float above other windows). This will give you access to the main functions of express scribe without even having to touch the software. You can thus focus on your transcription and go faster.
5) It also has an integrated speech to text function for those who prefer dictating instead of processing text manually. You can set it up if you are a little tech-savvy. I tried, but gave up.
I hope this helps.
Collapse

Gladis Audi, DipTrans
Morano El-Kholy
Laura Brown
Julia Mojik
Andrea Carvajal

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 21:58
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
I use Express Scribe for transcription May 20, 2020

also attaching a foot pedal.
However, the question was about timestamping/timecoding. Do you see that as part of the same exercise?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much does it take a professional to timestamp/timecode 1 hour, manually?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »