Studio 2015: Checking for Trailing Spaces via QA?
Thread poster: Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:53
English to German
Jul 6, 2015

Hi all,

I notice that in SDLXLIFF files that were exported from World Server (a file type I'm regularly working on) quite a lot of segments have trailing spaces. Obviously, these are required, because I found out by accident that removing them in the target leads to no space between sentences.

Is there a way in QA checker to automatically check if the target segment ends in a space when the source segment does, and throw an error if it does not? I can of course search m
... See more
Hi all,

I notice that in SDLXLIFF files that were exported from World Server (a file type I'm regularly working on) quite a lot of segments have trailing spaces. Obviously, these are required, because I found out by accident that removing them in the target leads to no space between sentences.

Is there a way in QA checker to automatically check if the target segment ends in a space when the source segment does, and throw an error if it does not? I can of course search manually, but this is very time consuming.

So, what I'd need is to check for "[any punctuation][space][end of segment]". Is this possible?

Thanks and best regards,
Stefan
Collapse

_stephan
_stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
RegEx Jul 6, 2015

Hi Stefan,

you can add a Regular Expression rule like this:

RegEx source: \s$
RegEx target: \s$
Condition: Report if source matches but not the target

Instead of \s you can also just type a space.

On a related note: In WorldServer, QA Checker profiles depend on the project type. In my particular case, most of the projects I deal with don't even have a project type assigned to them, so I always use the Apply Project Template plugin i
... See more
Hi Stefan,

you can add a Regular Expression rule like this:

RegEx source: \s$
RegEx target: \s$
Condition: Report if source matches but not the target

Instead of \s you can also just type a space.

On a related note: In WorldServer, QA Checker profiles depend on the project type. In my particular case, most of the projects I deal with don't even have a project type assigned to them, so I always use the Apply Project Template plugin in Studio to quickly update QA rules and other settings.

Stephan
Collapse

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU!!! Jul 6, 2015

Hi Stephan,

Thanks so much, works like a charm.

Am I interpreting this correctly? A "$" is the reg-ex character for "end of segment marker"?

Best regards,
Stefan

[Edited at 2015-07-06 10:05 GMT]

_stephan
_stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
RegEx Jul 6, 2015

Glad to hear it.

Technically it's "end of text" since RegEx doesn't understand the concept of segments, but in the end it's all the same.

Stephan

Mateja Logar
Mateja Logar  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2009)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
It works, even in 2020 May 28, 2020

My fellow translators,

I had the same problem, but luckily, I wasn't the first one with it. I found your solution and it worked.

Thank you, guys. Vielen vielen Dank.

Mateja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015: Checking for Trailing Spaces via QA?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »