Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:14
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Dec 11, 2019

FXF wrote:
Sorry Max another question springs to mind...In those times that you quoted (between 1 hour and 30 minutes according to the quality of the transcript) are you including the time for checking and corrections? I'm going to be adding French subs (which I have not seen) on to 10 hours of English speaking video and I'm also worried that because French is a much more "wordy" language than English, I'm going to be confronted with subs which are way too long and will have to be re-translated.
Thanks again for your help!

Checking and corrections are done semi-automatically in professional subtitling software, so they don't take much time. Also, when it's your thousandth time doing this, you won't have many things to correct.

Catalina Espinoza
Catalina Espinoza  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
About Subtitle Edit and .stl (ANSI) files Dec 13, 2019

Hi, Max!

I wonder if you can help me with the following:

I have a client with a very peculiar subtitling software. I prefer to use Subtitle Edit to work for them and they are OK with it, BUT they are asking me to deliver the file in .stl (ANSI) format.

Have you ever use this kind of format to deliver a file of subtitles using Subtitle Edit? Does it work properly?

I know the software can do that at FILE > SAVE AS > EBU STL and then, adjust the
... See more
Hi, Max!

I have a client with a very peculiar subtitling software. I prefer to use Subtitle Edit to work for them and they are OK with it, BUT they are asking me to deliver the file in .stl (ANSI) format.

Have you ever use this kind of format to deliver a file of subtitles using Subtitle Edit? Does it work properly?

I know the software can do that at FILE > SAVE AS > EBU STL and then, adjust the settings to the client's specs.

My question is: Do the software works? Is the software efficient delivering that kind of files?

I don't want to send the file and then the PM tells me: "It does not work" or "It does not open."

Thank you so much in advance.👍
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Dec 14, 2019

Catalina Espinoza wrote:

Hi, Max!

I know the software can do that at FILE > SAVE AS > EBU STL and then, adjust the settings to the client's specs.

My question is: Do the software works? Is the software efficient delivering that kind of files?

I don't want to send the file and then the PM tells me: "It does not work" or "It does not open."

Hi Catalina,

Ah, don't worry about this. By "ANSI" they most likely mean code page 437, which is a default setting in Subtitle Edit's EBU STL export. Just make sure the other settings are in order

Catalina Espinoza

Catalina Espinoza
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you so much, Max! Jan 27, 2020

Thank you so much, Max!

I spent New Year's Eve and most of January sick in bed, so sorry for the late reply.

Max Deryagin wrote:

Catalina Espinoza wrote:

Hi, Max!

Hi Catalina,

Ah, don't worry about this. By "ANSI" they most likely mean code page 437, which is a default setting in Subtitle Edit's EBU STL export. Just make sure the other settings are in order

Max Deryagin

TanDer (X)
TanDer (X)
Israel
Local time: 00:14
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Vtt alignment cues Feb 7, 2020

Hello, Max

I got a .vtt file for translation. It contained alignment cues for every caption, such as align:middle line:90%.
How do I work on the file in Subtitle Edit without erasing the alignment cues?
As I edit timing and save the file as WEBvtt, the resulting file loses all the alignment cues.

Thank you.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Feb 9, 2020

Tatiana Derbin wrote:

Hello, Max

I got a .vtt file for translation. It contained alignment cues for every caption, such as align:middle line:90%.
How do I work on the file in Subtitle Edit without erasing the alignment cues?
As I edit timing and save the file as WEBvtt, the resulting file loses all the alignment cues.

Thank you.

Hi Tatiana,

I'm afraid Subtitle Edit doesn't preserve WebVTT's alignment cues, though some other tools do (e.g. EZTitles and SubtitleNext). What you can do is contact Subtitle Edit's creator or open an issue.

TanDer (X)

Olavo Nogueira
Olavo Nogueira  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Can you recomend a good subtitling course? Feb 11, 2020

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hello fellow ProZians,

In this topic I (and hopefully my colleagues that frequent this subforum) will try to answer all your questions about subtitling that you always wanted to ask but thought it didn't warrant a whole new topic.

Ask away!

Hello Max!

Can you recommend a good subtitling course?

Thank You.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Feb 11, 2020

Olavo Nogueira wrote:

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hello fellow ProZians,

In this topic I (and hopefully my colleagues that frequent this subforum) will try to answer all your questions about subtitling that you always wanted to ask but thought it didn't warrant a whole new topic.

Ask away!

Hello Max!

Can you recommend a good subtitling course?

Thank You.

Hi Olavo,

The only online courses I can recommend at the moment are the UCL ones.

Olavo Nogueira

TanDer (X)
TanDer (X)
Israel
Local time: 00:14
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Thanks Feb 14, 2020

Max Deryagin wrote:
Hi Tatiana,

I'm afraid Subtitle Edit doesn't preserve WebVTT's alignment cues, though some other tools do (e.g. EZTitles and SubtitleNext). What you can do is contact Subtitle Edit's creator or open an issue.

Thank you for the reply =)

Max Deryagin

ITsubber
ITsubber
Italy
Problem with subtitles delay Feb 14, 2020

Dear Max,

sorry to bother you, I've registered specifically to ask you a question. I've spent hours and hours on Google searching for the answer, but to no avail.

I've done a couple of subtitling works for a home video publisher. I've used Aegisub for that, then passed the .ASS file to a technician who renderized it for DVD/Blu-ray authoring.

When I got the finished Blu-ray and watched my work, however, I've found that the end times of many subtitles had a
... See more
Dear Max,

sorry to bother you, I've registered specifically to ask you a question. I've spent hours and hours on Google searching for the answer, but to no avail.

I've done a couple of subtitling works for a home video publisher. I've used Aegisub for that, then passed the .ASS file to a technician who renderized it for DVD/Blu-ray authoring.

When I got the finished Blu-ray and watched my work, however, I've found that the end times of many subtitles had a 1-2 frames delay, meaning that all my work to match the shot changes had been in vain. In my last check before delivering the .ASS file everything was correct.

Do you have any hint on why does that happen? How can I prevent this?

Thank you so much for your time!
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Feb 15, 2020

ITsubber wrote:

Dear Max,

When I got the finished Blu-ray and watched my work, however, I've found that the end times of many subtitles had a 1-2 frames delay, meaning that all my work to match the shot changes had been in vain. In my last check before delivering the .ASS file everything was correct.

Hi ITsubber,

There can be different reasons for this, from an error on the technician's side to some video codec issue, drop-frame vs. non drop-frame error, software incompatibility, Aegisub's centisecond timecode format pushing out-times to adjacent frames, etc. Aegisub is not fit for professional work, unfortunately, so my best advice would be to switch to Subtitle Edit or a pro tool.

Catalina Espinoza
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Best software for Pop-On Captions? Mar 4, 2020

Hello again, Max,

I have this new client and he is asking me to do Pop-On Captions.

My other clients have their own platform for subtitling. For other things, I use Subtitle Edit.

I wonder if you know any free software to do Pop-On Captions?

If not, could you please tell me which pro software do you consider is best for this task, regarding the fact that I don´t have much time to familiarize myself with it?

Thank you.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Mar 4, 2020

Catalina Espinoza wrote:

Hello again, Max,

My other clients have their own platform for subtitling. For other things, I use Subtitle Edit.

If not, could you please tell me which pro software do you consider is best for this task, regarding the fact that I don´t have much time to familiarize myself with it?

Thank you.

Hi Catalina,

If you're not an experienced captioner, using free software will surely get you in trouble. Captioning and subtitling aren't the same thing; there are some key differences that you need to know and take into account as you work. If you don't have that knowledge, a professional tool will always let you know if something isn't quite right in your file, to help you keep to the client's specs.

As far as professional tools, I'd say CaptionMaker/MacCaption is the industry leader right now (and has been for some years), but it's way too expensive at $1,720 per license. I think the best approach for you would be to get a subscription plan for a captioning tool like EZTitles, OOONA, SubtitleNext or the like.

Catalina Espinoza

Catalina Espinoza
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you so much, Max! Mar 4, 2020

Max Deryagin wrote:

Catalina Espinoza wrote:

Hello again, Max,

Thank you.

Hi Catalina,

If you're not an experienced captioner, using free software will surely get you in trouble. Captioning and subtitling aren't the same thing; there are some key differences that you need to know and take into account as you work. If you don't have that knowledge, a professional tool will always let you know if something isn't quite right in your file, to help you keep to the client's specs.

As far as professional tools, I'd say CaptionMaker/MacCaption is the industry leader right now (and has been for some years), but it's way too expensive at $1,720 per license. I think the best approach for you would be to get a subscription plan for a captioning tool like EZTitles, OOONA, SubtitleNext or the like.

Thank you, Max.

You rock!

Max Deryagin

ITsubber
ITsubber
Italy
Thanks Mar 6, 2020

Max Deryagin wrote:

ITsubber wrote:

Dear Max,

Hi ITsubber,

There can be different reasons for this, from an error on the technician's side to some video codec issue, drop-frame vs. non drop-frame error, software incompatibility, Aegisub's centisecond timecode format pushing out-times to adjacent frames, etc. Aegisub is not fit for professional work, unfortunately, so my best advice would be to switch to Subtitle Edit or a pro tool.

Hi, Max,

sorry for the awful amount of time that's passed.
Thank you so much for your answer, I really appreciated your help.

I've checked a couple of other works that some colleagues made with the very same program, and the frame offset problem seems not to be there. I suppose there's some way to make the rendering program do the roundings the same way Aegisub does.

I'm used to that workflow and the amount of subtitling jobs I do isn't worth buying a professional tool, so I wouldn't want to change unless absolutely necessary. I'll see what I can do.

Thank you again for your help!

Max Deryagin

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »