Thread poster: Martin Knuhr
Martin Knuhr
Martin Knuhr  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 23:02
English to German
Apr 20, 2020

Hey everyone,

I recently encountered a problem with Subtitle Edit and was wondering if maybe someone knows a solution, the situation is as follows:

I am using the newest version of Subtitle Edit (free version). Using Subtitle Edit, I translated a timed template of subtitles for a client. The client needed the file in the EBU STL format. So far so good. After translating, I exported the original file (.srt format) to EBU STL.

BUT: Sometimes you have two lin
... See more
Hey everyone,

I recently encountered a problem with Subtitle Edit and was wondering if maybe someone knows a solution, the situation is as follows:

I am using the newest version of Subtitle Edit (free version). Using Subtitle Edit, I translated a timed template of subtitles for a client. The client needed the file in the EBU STL format. So far so good. After translating, I exported the original file (.srt format) to EBU STL.

BUT: Sometimes you have two lines of dialogue (multiple speakers for example) and both lines need to be italicized, like this:

-< i >Hello!< /i >
-< i >Hi, how are you?< /i >

The problem: After converting the .srt to EBU STL, some of the italics I've put in just disappear, like this:

-< i >Hello!
-Hi, how are you?< /i >

I am at my wits end on how to solve this. Converting to PAC for example works like a charm, with all of the italics in place - this error only occurs with EBU STL.
Since the client wants italics for every individual line that has to have Italization, I need it to look like Example 1, but whatever I do, after converting and reopening the EBU STL File, the lines in question always look like Example 2.
Has anyone encountered this problem before and knows a solution/workaround? Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Valentina Roldós
Valentina Roldós
Local time: 19:02
English to Spanish
That's OK. Oct 24, 2020

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply, but I just found this.

That's OK; the tags are only optimized. The result is the same as your initial example.

Rafa Alba
Rafa Alba
Spain
Local time: 23:02
English to Spanish
Same problem Jan 17, 2022

I am having exactly the same problem, any solution?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitle Edit: Problem with italics when converting to EBU STL format

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »