Sachin Gaonkar
India
Local time: 21:04
English to Marathi
+ ...
Apr 11, 2018

Hello Everyone,

Hope you all are doing good.

Can you guys help me by suggesting some good 'Translation Project Management tools' for freelancer, agency or any enterprise level business?

Just a note that, I don't mean 'CAT Tools'.

Regards,
Sachin Gaonkar
Localization Project Management

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:34
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
BaccS! Apr 11, 2018

Hi Sachin,

I'd say the leader in cool features and enthusiastic (one-man) team is currently BaccS, which is steadily poaching users from the previous industry standard, TO3000, which grew kind of stale over the years. Although the company behind TO3000 is trying to do something about this, I don't think their latest version (TO3000 3D) is very convincing. That's why I switched from TO3000 to BaccS a while back, and haven't once looked back. The rate at which Eugene (the devel
... See more
Hi Sachin,

I'd say the leader in cool features and enthusiastic (one-man) team is currently BaccS, which is steadily poaching users from the previous industry standard, TO3000, which grew kind of stale over the years. Although the company behind TO3000 is trying to do something about this, I don't think their latest version (TO3000 3D) is very convincing. That's why I switched from TO3000 to BaccS a while back, and haven't once looked back. The rate at which Eugene (the developer) is adding new features is phenomenal, and many of them are direct requests from his customers. For example, we asked him for Memsource integration, and a few weeks later he added it, and is currently working on perfecting it based on feedback from us and contact with Memsource's management. BaccS also already has very deep integration with many other CAT tools, such as memoQ, SDL Studio, etc.

CAT-tool-integration-in-BaccS

See:

https://www.ibaccs.com/
https://support.ibaccs.com/portal/home (brand new support portal / community forums)

Michael

PS: an added bonus for us Proz members is you can use BaccS for free!

03_dashboard

02_jobs

[Edited at 2018-04-11 20:38 GMT]
Collapse

Sachin Gaonkar
Sachin Gaonkar
India
Local time: 21:04
English to Marathi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BaccS! Apr 18, 2018

Hi Michael Beijer,

And that absolutely answers all my queries! Thank you so much for your prompt suggestion.

Happy Localization!

Regards,
Sachin Gaonkar
Localization Project Management

Kashif Khalid (X)

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 18:34
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Protemos Dec 27, 2018

Another suggestion: https://protemos.com/ . It's online and free for Freelancers.

Richard Varga (X)
Richard Varga (X)
Slovakia
Local time: 17:34
English to Slovak
+ ...
Flantie Dec 27, 2018

Designed by a PM turned freelancer, https://www.flantie.com/ is easy to use and very helpful.

Frank Czygan
Frank Czygan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:34
English to German
+ ...
Tradumanager Oct 24, 2019

Tradumanager is a desktop project management tool for freelancers & agencies. There is a free version for freelancers and agencies can work with an online database in multi-user mode: www.tradumanager.com

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Management tools tend to shift admin tasks on translators + often encourage poor business practices Nov 20, 2019

I thought it might be a good idea to add a translator POV on a widely used vendor management tool, which could be applied to many other similar tools currently used. In this case, I wrote about Plunet, but very similar problems can be found in many other tools. These tools mostly forget that as the PMs work with a large number of projects and of translators, also freelance translators mostly work with dozens of different clients. They usually do not make the collaboration completely impossible, ... See more
I thought it might be a good idea to add a translator POV on a widely used vendor management tool, which could be applied to many other similar tools currently used. In this case, I wrote about Plunet, but very similar problems can be found in many other tools. These tools mostly forget that as the PMs work with a large number of projects and of translators, also freelance translators mostly work with dozens of different clients. They usually do not make the collaboration completely impossible, but often come close to it and are frequently abashing. I hope people coming to this thread to consider similar tools will take into consideration the points below.

Pros:
The system is reliable and provides good feedback on inputted information.

Cons:
1. Different login for each company adds a very significant amount of work to translators' administration compared to normal email workflow or other systems.
2. Plunet assumes that the translator does not have the right to submit an invoice until the client does not give him permission to do so. This might put a translator in a weak position in case of payment problems.
3. Different rules required by different companies, e.g. about adding invoice numbers and uploading invoices, are not visible on the translator interface and require keeping separate database records. This often leads to misunderstandings and unjustified payment delays.
4. There is no option to set time limits, reminders and translator notifications for translation approvals, with the result that PM often forgets to approve the translation for a long time and translator is kept from invoicing without a good reason.
5. When the translation has been approved, it is often impossible to set the invoice date = delivery date. The combination of points 4 and 5 also leads to unjustified (and illegal) to payment delay.
6. Translators are not notified when an invoice has been approved, making it difficult to track payment problems/delays.
5. Translator UI is geared toward PMs and not user-friendly for the service providers.
Collapse

Kay Denney

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Project Management Tools for Freelancers, Agency or Enterprises

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »