How many requests a day are possible at linguee?
Thread poster: Dorothée Engel
Dorothée Engel
Dorothée Engel  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:41
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
Nov 27, 2017

Hi everybody,

Has anyone found out after how many requests a day you get the message that you have asked too many questions so you can't continue using linguee? I got it the other day and have not found any information on this on their website since.

Thank you so much!

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:41
German to English
Have not really reached the limit Nov 27, 2017

There have been several times when I've resorted to Linguee multiple times in a day, and only once have I received a notice suggesting that I create an account. I rebooted my browser and continued unhindered. It may have to do with the site using cookies.

Dorothée Engel
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Javascript Nov 28, 2017

Good hint, thanxxx!
Deleting the latest cookies in the security options of the browser might help then ...
The message said also that people who allow Javascript won't be hindered as early as others with their requests. But I read somewhere in a forum that Firefox allows Javascript as a default setting; in Firefox Quantum I can't find the option where to allow or not allow it anyway.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Caveat Nov 28, 2017

Linguee should be used with the utmost caution at all times. A curate's egg if ever there was one.
... I didn't realise they had a limit on asking questions. I've looked at it 2 or 3 times today for one thing or another...

[Edited at 2017-11-28 20:58 GMT]

Dorothée Engel
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right. Fortunately I know how to handle it after 17 years of translation experience! Nov 28, 2017

...I just love to be inspired by the solutions it offers in differnt contexts and then create my own sentences of it. But this was not the question.
Thank you anyway, it's an important hint for newbies.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:41
German to English
Useful for tangential thinking Nov 28, 2017

neilmac wrote:

Linguee should be used with the utmost caution at all times. A curate's egg if ever there was one.
... I didn't realise they had a limit on asking questions. I've looked at it 2 or 3 times today for one thing or another...

[Edited at 2017-11-28 20:58 GMT]

I agree that Linguee can be a trap. Some of the translations I've seen have been shockingly wrong, where the translator picked the first word in the dictionary, whether it was appropriate or not. But, like Google Translate, an incorrect translation can provide the impetus to clearing a mental block.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many requests a day are possible at linguee?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »