Recommendations for subscriptions to academic articles? (medical)
Thread poster: JST17
JST17
JST17  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:46
French to English
Oct 5, 2018

After learning to translate medical documents at Uni and having access to the academic documents/journals that the library subscription allows, I find that after graduation I am no longer able to access this information. This means that it is much more difficult to find articles to confirm the use of terminology. How do other translators overcome this issue. Is there a professional subscription to academic articles that one can access or subscribe to ?

Myriam Garcia Bernabe
Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
Recommendation Oct 6, 2018

Dear JST17,
Whenever I need to prepare for a medical conference interpreting assignment, I tend to use El Sevier. This is a great resource and has partly open access. Subscription is free, if I remember correctly.
HTH,
MGB

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
French to English
Abstracts Oct 6, 2018

You can get the abstracts via Science Direct and PubMed, but access to full-texts will not be available unless you subscribe. If you are able to enter a profile on Researchgate, authors post many of their key publications or may send you a copy if you ask for it. Google Scholar is another source and there is more out there than you imagine.

Kevin Fulton
neilmac

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:46
Italian to English
No need for such subscriptions Oct 7, 2018

There is no need for journal subscriptions to check terminology. Strong research skills using Google are normally adequate, however you need to check that the references you use are solid and reliable.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:46
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
Your point is totally agreed Oct 8, 2018

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

There is no need for journal subscriptions to check terminology. Strong research skills using Google are normally adequate, however you need to check that the references you use are solid and reliable.

You don't need to read a full article to find the usages of a term. In my 20 years of medical translation practice, I have never seen any nut that cannot be cracked simply by google search.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
JStor and the sad tale of Aaron Swartz RIP Oct 8, 2018

"In 2011, Aaron Swartz was caught illegally downloading millions of academic articles from nonprofit online database JSTOR, and was subsequently indicted by the government for the theft. As an anti-copyright activist, the justice system decided to make an example of Swartz, facing him with 13 felony charges, a maximum prison sentence of 95 years and a fine of over $3 million. He committed suicide ... See more
"In 2011, Aaron Swartz was caught illegally downloading millions of academic articles from nonprofit online database JSTOR, and was subsequently indicted by the government for the theft. As an anti-copyright activist, the justice system decided to make an example of Swartz, facing him with 13 felony charges, a maximum prison sentence of 95 years and a fine of over $3 million. He committed suicide in 2013."

https://thelongandshort.org/margins/aaron-swartz-jstor-hack
Collapse

Alex Kerby
Alex Kerby
United States
I agree with the others about Google being your best friend. Oct 8, 2018

I agree with the others about Google being your best friend.

If you really want to read articles, I'd recommend Science and Nature group ones for general science. Nature Communications for example is an open access one, so you can read all the articles free of charge. If you require more specific ones, each field have their own. Cardiovascular disease has Circulation, neuroscience has Journal of Neuroscience. There are many others.

However, I am a former clinical scien
... See more
I agree with the others about Google being your best friend.

If you really want to read articles, I'd recommend Science and Nature group ones for general science. Nature Communications for example is an open access one, so you can read all the articles free of charge. If you require more specific ones, each field have their own. Cardiovascular disease has Circulation, neuroscience has Journal of Neuroscience. There are many others.

However, I am a former clinical scientist myself and I never read any articles now and only read a small number of articles when I was doing research, mostly ones about my (very specific) field.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommendations for subscriptions to academic articles? (medical)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »