Acronyms Master PRO (very useful to scan/find undefined acronyms in src docs prior to translation)
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:12
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2018

I recently discovered a very useful tool for acronyms/abbreviations:

https://www.acronyms-master.com/index.html

I've only scratched the surface of what it can do, but I suspect it would come in very handy in our work, when preparing to start on a very large project with potentially lots of undefined acronyms/abbreviations.

It can do many interesting thing
... See more
I recently discovered a very useful tool for acronyms/abbreviations:

https://www.acronyms-master.com/index.html

I've only scratched the surface of what it can do, but I suspect it would come in very handy in our work, when preparing to start on a very large project with potentially lots of undefined acronyms/abbreviations.

It can do many interesting things, but some that stand out are:

(1) scan a Word doc for potential undefined acronyms,
(2) try to help you define them (against personal lists, online searching, black/white lists), and then optionally
(3) automatically insert a table in the doc, or save to a special database for future use.

restable

acrtable

Michael
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:12
English to French
+ ...
This does look like a very useful app... Dec 1, 2018

... but the Pro version ain't cheap. And the 3-day free trial period is very short.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
polysemanticism Dec 2, 2018

As for me, an internal glossary/abbr managements in a CAT tool supplemented with free PlusTools, online QTranslate or Lingvo--via a hovering cursor instant translation or Ctrl+C+C--still works like a charm for me)

However, usually there're TENS (not transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) of abbreviations in different fields and areas, so how is Acro-Master any better at telling them?

[Edited at 2018-12-02 20:41 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:12
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
agree, but Dec 2, 2018

Jean Lachaud wrote:

... but the Pro version ain't cheap. And the 3-day free trial period is very short.

I agree that it is not cheap, and the trial period is too short, but having tested a few ‘automatic acronym/abbreviation scanners/extractors’, this one is the best. For example, PerfectIt (https://intelligentediting.com/ ) also has one, but it just isn't very good. CafeTran, and a few other CAT tools also have built in solutions (which is super cool and useful), but again, these aren’t is good as Acronyms Master.

Michael

[Edited at 2018-12-02 23:49 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:12
English to French
+ ...
will test, however Dec 2, 2018

I definitely intend to test it, but to test it in a useful manner, I need a project with enough acronyms. I'll look in past projects to find something with acronyms.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Acronyms Master PRO (very useful to scan/find undefined acronyms in src docs prior to translation)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »