Diatopix: are there any other geographical distribution tools out there?
Thread poster: Sarah Hirsch
Sarah Hirsch
Sarah Hirsch  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2018

Diatopix has been missing for years, as far as I know, but I have yet to find another tool that gives a good comparison of the geographical distribution of usage between two terms. But then I think to myself, this is this internet! There must be another one. Anyone know of any? It was so helpful!

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Diatopix Dec 26, 2018

Diatopix is still available online - http://olst.ling.umontreal.ca/diatopix/

Supported languages: Français, English, Español, Português

[Edited at 2018-12-26 18:57 GMT]

Sarah Hirsch
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It exists Dec 26, 2018

But it doesn't actually show anything when you put in a query... at least not for English or Spanish, and not on Chrome or Firefox.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Seems to work here Dec 26, 2018

Diatopix

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Not working in the USA, indeed Dec 26, 2018

I confirm that, here (USA, NY State), searches produce a blank "Synthèse" screen, although there are plenty of Google search results in the respective country tabs.
In other words, I confirm the OP original message: it doesn't work, at least in the USA.

I searched "trunk" vs. "boot," which ought to have produced a neat result like the screen shot; I also searched "pain au chocolat" vs. "chocolatine". Both of these searches produced an empty "Synthèse" tab.

Searc
... See more
I confirm that, here (USA, NY State), searches produce a blank "Synthèse" screen, although there are plenty of Google search results in the respective country tabs.
In other words, I confirm the OP original message: it doesn't work, at least in the USA.

I searched "trunk" vs. "boot," which ought to have produced a neat result like the screen shot; I also searched "pain au chocolat" vs. "chocolatine". Both of these searches produced an empty "Synthèse" tab.

Search performed with the current version of SRWare Iron, which is based on Chromium.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some browser setting, perhaps Dec 27, 2018

Jean Lachaud wrote:
I confirm that, here (USA, NY State), searches produce a blank "Synthèse" screen.

I tried various browsers and various locations via VPN, and in some locations there does appear to briefly flash some content on the Synthèse tab but then it disappears again. My guess is that the content is actually there on screens where it does not display, and it doesn't display due to some or other browser setting or presence/absence of an extension or plugin.

I managed to get it working on the latest public version of K Meleon (which still uses the Gecko engine):
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/download.php

[Edited at 2018-12-27 09:49 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 23:14
English to German
Really a geoblocking? Dec 27, 2018

Jean Lachaud wrote:

I confirm that, here (USA, NY State), searches produce a blank "Synthèse" screen

If the questioner's country matters, you could use a VPN service or the like that pretends a different country.

[[Three people look out of the window of a moving railway car. They see two blue sheep on a meadow.
The school teacher: Oh, look, in this region sheep are blue!
The engineer: To put it accurately, in this region there are at least two blue sheep.
The mathematician: Um, you can only confirm that in this region there are at least two sheep that are blue on at least one side.]]

Sarah Hirsch
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 28, 2018

Thanks everyone, I feel a little less crazy. I'll try to find a contact for the creators to see if they can fix this--I don't see any reason why they would have done this on purpose. Getting a VPN specifically for this purpose and trying to ping it specifically from the countries that get Diatopix would probably work, but seems a little too much like a Rube Goldberg machine for me to use it on a regular basis, haha! Hope everyone is having a good few days before the New Year!

-Sarah
... See more
Thanks everyone, I feel a little less crazy. I'll try to find a contact for the creators to see if they can fix this--I don't see any reason why they would have done this on purpose. Getting a VPN specifically for this purpose and trying to ping it specifically from the countries that get Diatopix would probably work, but seems a little too much like a Rube Goldberg machine for me to use it on a regular basis, haha! Hope everyone is having a good few days before the New Year!

-Sarah

Rube Goldberg machines - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Diatopix: are there any other geographical distribution tools out there?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »