What software do you use to look for terms in reference documents?
Thread poster: Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:48
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 9, 2019

I often receive projects with a lot of reference documents. I'm actually working on a project that has 10 previously translated documents (varying in lenght from 50 to 180 pages). What I've done in this project so far, is to open all the documents on acrobat (soure and target - 20 in total) and use advanced search to search in all documents at once when I want to see if a term has been used before.
Acrobat doesn't handle these many documents well... it often crashes.
I know I could
... See more
I often receive projects with a lot of reference documents. I'm actually working on a project that has 10 previously translated documents (varying in lenght from 50 to 180 pages). What I've done in this project so far, is to open all the documents on acrobat (soure and target - 20 in total) and use advanced search to search in all documents at once when I want to see if a term has been used before.
Acrobat doesn't handle these many documents well... it often crashes.
I know I could build an alignment for the previous translations but decided against that because of time constrains (and because I would actually only use it for terms, rather than as TM)
Does anybody know of a software that could be useful?
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
HoudahSpot Jan 9, 2019

If you're on a Mac, you can use HoudahSpot: https://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/328319-using_houdahspot_to_search_parallel_pdf_files.html

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:48
English to Swedish
+ ...
Search in Windows Explorer Jan 9, 2019

Assuming the reference material is in an editable format, place them in a seperate folder and search for the term using Windows explorer.

Jorge Payan

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Index search is the key Jan 10, 2019

Lars Jelking wrote:

Assuming the reference material is in an editable format, place them in a seperate folder and search for the term using Windows explorer.

An additional hint: In order to make this work you have to enable Windows' Indexing Service on that folder. Windows Explorer needs that service, otherwise the search is extremely slow.

BTW, Windows' Indexing Service can be used more comfortably than via Windoiws Explorer. Use the Omni-Lookup software and create a data source of type "Index". Just one click displays all hits in that folder plus - optionally - in many other sources (Web, TM's, Excel's, ...) simultaneously and side-by-side,

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:48
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Copernic Jan 10, 2019

It's been a long time now, but I used to use Copernic. I think they have a free version. http://www.copernic.com/

Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not really convenient Jan 23, 2019

Lars Jelking wrote:

It's even easier from Acrobat Reader, using the advanced search, which looks for a word in all documents (and this is what I've been doing so far). I'd like to see if there's a software that does something more powerful than "find instances of this word", such as a software that does a "partial alignment" where I can roughly align pages rather than spend time aligning segments... or a software that allows me to quickly build a glossary of terms.

For example, in trados-alignment I can't see a find function, nor a way to build a glossary along with the translation memory. I'm looking for something that offers that.

Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
LiveDocs (MemoQ feature) Jan 23, 2019

I find LiveDocs very convenient, as it allows me to search corpora/documents directly from within MemoQ.

https://help.memoq.com/8-5/en/Things/things-livedocs.html

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-23 um 11.09.01

Unfortunately Trados Studio doesn't seem to offer any comparable feature as yet.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:48
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
SynchroTerm (for extracting term pairs from TMXs) Jan 23, 2019

Serena Marangoni wrote:

Lars Jelking wrote:

It's even easier from Acrobat Reader, using the advanced search, which looks for a word in all documents (and this is what I've been doing so far). I'd like to see if there's a software that does something more powerful than "find instances of this word", such as a software that does a "partial alignment" where I can roughly align pages rather than spend time aligning segments... or a software that allows me to quickly build a glossary of terms.

For example, in trados-alignment I can't see a find function, nor a way to build a glossary along with the translation memory. I'm looking for something that offers that.

Try SynchroTerm, expensive but very good at extracting term pairs from TMXs:

https://terminotix.com/index.asp?content=item&item=7&lang=en

Michael

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:48
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Agent Ransack Jan 23, 2019

Serena Marangoni wrote:
Does anybody know of a software that could be useful?

Free and fast search in PDFs:
https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
(HT: Samuel)

Regards,
Dan

Jesús Calzado
Jesús Calzado  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
FileSeek Jan 23, 2019

I use and recommend FileSeek ( https://www.fileseek.ca/ ). Its free version is perfectly functional and allows to look up inside documents providing a preview.

Regards,

Jesús

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What software do you use to look for terms in reference documents?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »