Thread poster: Heidi Lind
Heidi Lind
Heidi Lind  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:31
English to German
+ ...
May 28, 2009

I've found a few posts about this but I still have not much of an idea how to go about and what to charge in my situation. There's a company who occasionally sends me requests for voiceover jobs. It sounds interesting and I'd really like to get into it. I have never provided voiceover services nor do I have a demo tape. So that would be step one. How do I get a demo? I probably cannot just plug in my microphone and start speaking. And how much would one charge for a job with the following descri... See more
I've found a few posts about this but I still have not much of an idea how to go about and what to charge in my situation. There's a company who occasionally sends me requests for voiceover jobs. It sounds interesting and I'd really like to get into it. I have never provided voiceover services nor do I have a demo tape. So that would be step one. How do I get a demo? I probably cannot just plug in my microphone and start speaking. And how much would one charge for a job with the following description:

Subject matter is Health and Safety for Oil & Gas. (E-Learning)

It is a 2.5 hours elearning course

Approx. 10000 words for Voiceover (MP3 neutral voice female talking into the PC/Laptop)

Special requirements to the applicants: Good knowledge of Safety and Engineering terms.
Collapse

Heidi Lind
Heidi Lind  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:31
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PS May 29, 2009

PS: Translation is NOT required.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A couple of ideas Jun 2, 2009

Hi Heidi,
I did some voiceovers quite some years ago, and at that time I went into a recording studio to do a demo. Nowadays, though, you could probably make a demo in wav. or mp3 format with a digital hand-held recorder, and it wouldn't surprise me if some companies also accepted the work itself being done this way. I'm not sure about this, of course, because I haven't done this kind of work in quite a few years. But it would be worthwhile your asking around. I paid around $300 for my dig
... See more
Hi Heidi,
I did some voiceovers quite some years ago, and at that time I went into a recording studio to do a demo. Nowadays, though, you could probably make a demo in wav. or mp3 format with a digital hand-held recorder, and it wouldn't surprise me if some companies also accepted the work itself being done this way. I'm not sure about this, of course, because I haven't done this kind of work in quite a few years. But it would be worthwhile your asking around. I paid around $300 for my digital recorder. If it's something you could use for voiceover work, it would be worth that small investment, I would think.

Good luck!

p.s. Sorry, can't help you with the charges...it's been too long.
Collapse

Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:31
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
I'm in the middle of a VO job right now Jun 2, 2009

Heidi Lind wrote:
How do I get a demo? I probably cannot just plug in my microphone and start speaking. And how much would one charge for a job with the following description:
It is a 2.5 hours elearning course
Approx. 10000 words for Voiceover

2.5 hours of recording is usually approx. 8-10 hours studio time. The going rate is approx. $200/h, (in the US) although some people offer lower rates - still much higher than usual interpreting rates.
Many companies offer paid time to get familiar with the script - it's usually approx. 1/3 of the studio rate.
Most often there is a coach, someone to listen to you while you are recording. Coaches are paid approx. the same rate as your prep rate.

As for the demo - there is tons of great underutilized studios ready to do a professional demo for you for $200-300. And everyone can tell if your demo was done on a small digital recorder in a typical room, or on a Marantz in the sound-proof studio, believe me. You are going to pay for it with the first two hours of your first job!
Good luck!

[Edited at 2009-06-02 04:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another voiceover question

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »