How do I exchange a translation job between Wf Pro and Memsource?
Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2020

I've got a job from an agency and they want me to translate it in Memsource. Memsource is an environment that a) I'm not very familiar with and b) more importantly, does not give me access my huge Translation Memory and Glossary (which I know from the project subject matter that I will have a lot of matches).

I see on Memsource that I can download a bilingual MXLIFF file in either DOCX or TMX version. However, downloading and importing the bilingual DOCX version is unsatisfactory
... See more
I've got a job from an agency and they want me to translate it in Memsource. Memsource is an environment that a) I'm not very familiar with and b) more importantly, does not give me access my huge Translation Memory and Glossary (which I know from the project subject matter that I will have a lot of matches).

I see on Memsource that I can download a bilingual MXLIFF file in either DOCX or TMX version. However, downloading and importing the bilingual DOCX version is unsatisfactory because, once in Wf Pro, it treats each target term in the bilingual document as though it were a source term. And when I download the bilingual TMX version, I can see no way of adding it to my Wf Pro project.

Does anyone know please: is there any way of downloading the bilingual file, importing it into my Wf Pro environment and then re-importing it back into Memsource?

Thanks
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:16
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
An easy method Sep 19, 2020

You can download the mxliff file, change the extension to .xlf and import it to WF Pro.

Before importing a file I usually check the language codes by opening the file in Notepad to make sure the language codes in the file coincide with the languages of a WF Pro project.

This is a simple way to import an mxliff file, but then you have to cope with tags that will be displayed incorrectly in WF Pro.

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:16
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
MXLIFF file Sep 19, 2020

Comunican wrote:

I see on Memsource that I can download a bilingual MXLIFF file in either DOCX or TMX version.

The thing is you need to download the mxliff file itself by clicking on the line saying "Bilingual MXLIFF".

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but.... Sep 20, 2020

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

Comunican wrote:

I see on Memsource that I can download a bilingual MXLIFF file in either DOCX or TMX version.

The thing is you need to download the mxliff file itself by clicking on the line saying "Bilingual MXLIFF".

Thank you so much for all this help. I saved it as MXLIFF and renamed it to XLF and also opened it in Wordpad and changed the source code from "es" to "es-es" to match my TM in Wordfast Pro. However, when I try to import it, I get a message saying "Please define filter type for the specified files" and then "Undefined" with a drop-down box with loads of file extensions with another drop-down box with loads of (the same) file extensions underneath...

Would you have any idea or what I need to do please? And also, what about re-importing it into Memsource? Hopefully you will know!

Many thanks again.

[Edited at 2020-09-20 17:24 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I exchange a translation job between Wf Pro and Memsource?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »