Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Too good to be true offer (payable in crypto)
Thread poster: Mireille BOULANGER
Elodie Veyssière
Elodie Veyssière  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:32
Member (2022)
English to French
Offer from Diana Waiser Sep 12, 2023

Hello, I also received an email this morning from this Diana Waiser.

"Hello. My name is Diana I work as a recruiting manager and I
want to propose you a small project with about 5000 words
and a deadline of next week. I'll be happy to provide you
with details and a review file if you have the time to do
so.
Thank you for your attention.
Diana"

After she explained she paid in cryptocurrency she then asked to create an account on sscryp
... See more
Hello, I also received an email this morning from this Diana Waiser.

"Hello. My name is Diana I work as a recruiting manager and I
want to propose you a small project with about 5000 words
and a deadline of next week. I'll be happy to provide you
with details and a review file if you have the time to do
so.
Thank you for your attention.
Diana"

After she explained she paid in cryptocurrency she then asked to create an account on sscrypto and send her the BTC address from the wallet so that she could make the transfer and it would appear one hour later. Which it did.

Anyway, thank you for this thread, I should have started here at least I didn't waste my time, except from setting up the account...

It was indeed too good to be true, I felt something was off. But I don't understand how we get scammed? Later on when we want to exchange funds?
Collapse

Adela Campos Espinosa de los Monteros

Fabienne Nyffenegger
Fabienne Nyffenegger  Identity Verified
France
Member (2020)
French to German
+ ...
Message from Diana Sep 13, 2023

Hello to you all,

Yesterday I got the same message as Daniel Chokote, Nicola Caiazzo, anne-lise pellat, Elodie Veyssière.

Indeed, cryptocurrency stuff and the strange email address made an alarme bell ring.

Carlos Teran
Carlos Teran  Identity Verified
Bolivia
Local time: 12:32
Member (2018)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Europe Books Publishing Group Sep 15, 2023

Hello,
Has anybody worked with Europe Books Publishing Group? I have just been sent a large technical manual, and I want to stay on the "safe side" before translating it.
Thank you

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
@Carlos Sep 15, 2023

First of all, there is no such entity as "Europe Books Publishing Group". It simply does not exist. There is a company "Europe Books" (https://www.europebookstore.com/) - you need to check carefully the email headers and the senders IP.

Inge Schumacher

Fulco Tuynman
Fulco Tuynman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2022)
Swedish to Dutch
+ ...
same scammer, now Katrin Levis, [email protected] Oct 4, 2023

Hello,
The same thing happened to me.

I hope this comes to the attention of proz, the first mention of this scam is Apr 5! (in this thread). Apparently the scam works with enough translators from this site that it is worth the time and energy from the scammers to keep going on.
Below the content from her mail:

Hello ,

We are looking for an experienced professional translator
and I would like to invite you to join our team a
... See more
Hello,
The same thing happened to me.

I hope this comes to the attention of proz, the first mention of this scam is Apr 5! (in this thread). Apparently the scam works with enough translators from this site that it is worth the time and energy from the scammers to keep going on.
Below the content from her mail:

Hello ,

We are looking for an experienced professional translator
and I would like to invite you to join our team as a remote
translator. We have an open translation project that should
be completed within a week, and we are ready to offer you
excellent working conditions.

Here are some details about the project:
- Text volume: 5000 words
- Topic: Economics and Finance (minimum of special terms)
- Deadline: 3.10

We value professionalism and quality of work, so we are
ready to provide you with a competitive reward for the
completed project. We also have the ability to provide you
with additional support and resources if needed.

If you are interested in our proposal and are ready to get
started, please let me know so we can discuss the details
and provide you with more detailed information.

Best wishes,
Katrin

-----------
Author: Katrin Levis
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 149.88.19.240
Message type: Job-related

The following mail:

Hello!
Thank you for your message!
I am sending you an archive with files for English-Dutch translation below. Files in scan format, jpg high quality. Deadline is next Monday(next week) 1pm CET.
Final files required in pdf and docx formats. The translated version should be kept as close as possible to the original in terms of the style used
Payment for this task is 750(it is about 0.15 per word) EUR, +5% to pay off all commissions when exchanging funds.
One unusual detail is that the budget is provided in cryptocurrency and this is the only way I can pay. But you don't have to worry about this, I provide full support in receiving the payment and converting it into fiat currency into your bank account or PayPal
I can do the prepayment for your safety because I am not a Proz user and new to the field. Then you can start. If you will be need help with withdraw and exchange to fiat currency I am glad to help you with it.
Let's discuss what questions you have at the moment.
Waiting for you reply!
Katrin

The last mail:
Unfortunately this payment method is chosen by my boss. I will send payment up front so you can get started and feel safe. If you will be need help with withdraw and exchange to fiat currency and transfer it to Paypal or bank account I am glad to help you with it.
I work as an outsourcer for COMMERCIAL AND ACCOUNTING SERVICES LIMITED. This is a young company and my boss's presentation needs a translation of an article.
Company number 14694618 in UK

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.
Collapse

Elena Fresneda Vasalo

sabine de vos
sabine de vos  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
Me too! Damn! Oct 18, 2023

I fell for it too, so stupid! With me it was an Olivia, no firm, payment via sscrypto.net.

Graciela Darritchon
Nuria Ollero

Monica Rasa
Monica Rasa
Austria
French to German
+ ...
Attention SCAM COMPANY Oct 22, 2023

Dear Friends,

I have also receiced an offer from this Scam Company - be careful

Von: Olivia Walmer [email protected]
I am sending you an archive with files for translation below. Files in scan format, jpg high quality. Deadline is next Tuesday 24.10(next week) 1pm CET.
> Final files required in pdf and docx formats. The translated version should be kept as close as possible to the original in terms of the style used Payment for this task is 750(
... See more
Dear Friends,

I have also receiced an offer from this Scam Company - be careful

Von: Olivia Walmer [email protected]
I am sending you an archive with files for translation below. Files in scan format, jpg high quality. Deadline is next Tuesday 24.10(next week) 1pm CET.
> Final files required in pdf and docx formats. The translated version should be kept as close as possible to the original in terms of the style used Payment for this task is 750(it is about 0.15 per word) EUR, +5% to pay off all commissions when exchanging funds.
> One unusual detail is that the budget is provided in cryptocurrency and this is the only way I can pay. But you don't have to worry about this, I provide full support in receiving the payment and converting it into fiat currency into your bank account or PayPal I can do the prepayment for your safety because I am not a Proz user and new to the field. Then you can start. If you will be need help with withdraw and exchange to fiat currency I am glad to help you with it.
> Let's discuss what questions you have at the moment.
> Waiting for you reply!
> Olivia

Kind regards
Monica
Collapse

Noah Koppers
Noah Koppers
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Is it really a scam? Nov 7, 2023

I got the same offer from Olivia Walmer@protonmail some time ago but was very naive and didn’t know it might be a scam. I translated the file, created an account on SSCrypto.net and after sending her the translated files, I received the payment via bitcoin (0.03BTC so about 1050$ at the moment). I now just need to send the Bitcoins from my SSCrypto wallet to my Coinbase wallet, but to do that you need to verify the Coinbase wallet, by sendi... See more
I got the same offer from Olivia Walmer@protonmail some time ago but was very naive and didn’t know it might be a scam. I translated the file, created an account on SSCrypto.net and after sending her the translated files, I received the payment via bitcoin (0.03BTC so about 1050$ at the moment). I now just need to send the Bitcoins from my SSCrypto wallet to my Coinbase wallet, but to do that you need to verify the Coinbase wallet, by sending at least 0.008BTC (250$) to the SSCrypto wallet from your Coinbase wallet.
So from my experience everything went okay so far and they actually send me the BTC so is it really a scam?
My Bitcoins on Coinbase will be tradable and available to send in 2 days but I am not sure if I should send them or not due to this thread. I am not that experienced with Crypto and I don’t know how these scams are working but I was always thinking the Blockchain is kind of safe.
Collapse

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD
Gianluigi Desogus, PhD  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:32
English to Italian
+ ...
They are still at it... Nov 15, 2023

They contacted me a couple of days ago. We are still negotiating...

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD
Gianluigi Desogus, PhD  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Any developments? Nov 15, 2023

Noah Koppers wrote:

I got the same offer from Olivia Walmer@protonmail some time ago but was very naive and didn’t know it might be a scam. I translated the file, created an account on SSCrypto.net and after sending her the translated files, I received the payment via bitcoin (0.03BTC so about 1050$ at the moment). I now just need to send the Bitcoins from my SSCrypto wallet to my Coinbase wallet, but to do that you need to verify the Coinbase wallet, by sending at least 0.008BTC (250$) to the SSCrypto wallet from your Coinbase wallet.
So from my experience everything went okay so far and they actually send me the BTC so is it really a scam?
My Bitcoins on Coinbase will be tradable and available to send in 2 days but I am not sure if I should send them or not due to this thread. I am not that experienced with Crypto and I don’t know how these scams are working but I was always thinking the Blockchain is kind of safe.

Hello Noah,

Any developments? I'm curious to see how this would work. Maybe the scam is that once you send them 0.008BTC to verify, you would never get them back and you would also lose your SSCrypto wallet. So, in the end, you'd be scammed out of 250 dollars. I'm just guessing, I have no clue as to how this crypto transactions actually work...

Fabrice Ndie

Teresa Raneri
Teresa Raneri  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian
+ ...
OLIVIA AND HER BITCOINS CONTACTED ME TOO A FEW DAYS AGO Nov 22, 2023

Hi everyone,

I read some comments searching about sscrypto.net that Olivia suggested... but everything was so easy... and I was doubtful and really thinking about scams...
So I found you, and that's what it is...

Rossana Pinna
Rossana Pinna
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Same scam, different name Dec 6, 2023

Just to let you know that the same e-mail could also come from a woman called Olivia Vianna. The e-mail address and the e-mail content are pretty much the same.

Anna Lanave
Anna Lanave  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Proton Mail Dec 6, 2023

I have received an email as well. I guess they are now "working" on Italy.

I decided to make investigations, so I first accepted the job. I will then check if the payment procedure goes smoothly. The file they have sent is a sort of analysis of the Russian-Ukranian situation dated the beginning of 2000s.

Noah Koppers has raised an interesting point: the website (SSCrypto) they suggest to use asks for a 250$-payment to recover the money or convert and transfer it on ban
... See more
I have received an email as well. I guess they are now "working" on Italy.

I decided to make investigations, so I first accepted the job. I will then check if the payment procedure goes smoothly. The file they have sent is a sort of analysis of the Russian-Ukranian situation dated the beginning of 2000s.

Noah Koppers has raised an interesting point: the website (SSCrypto) they suggest to use asks for a 250$-payment to recover the money or convert and transfer it on bank accounts. I will check if they do the same with me.

Also I have written to Proton Mail to ask for a check on those users' activity.

Lastly I will contact SSCrypto to ask they verify these users.

I'll keep you posted.
Anna
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
German tax Dec 6, 2023

Noah Koppers wrote:

Now that we know that all went fine for you: How do you declare German tax on the base of your "coinbase wallet"?

Graciela Darritchon
Graciela Darritchon
Argentina
Local time: 13:32
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam continues... Dec 18, 2023

I have received last week the same email everyone in this thread has received. This time is from Chiara Nortest.
I got to the point where she asked me to register at SSCrypto.net. It didn't feel fine so I searched and found you. Thank you all for posting about this scam, otherwise I would have fallen!

Nuria Ollero

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Too good to be true offer (payable in crypto)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »