Is the number of jobs posted on Proz in decline? (some hard stats)
Thread poster: Michael Hughes
Michael Hughes
Michael Hughes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:23
Member (2022)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Mar 25

From what I can gather, the short answer is: not really.

Of the 66,638 jobs posted across all language pairs in the last two years, 14,637 (22%) were posted in the last 6 months - not much lower than the 25% or so you might expect over such a time period. 2,419 were posted in the last month (3.6% of the total two-year figure - a bit lower than the 4.2% you might expect if you divided the 24 months evenly - but a single month really isn't enough to draw conclusions in this industry).
... See more
From what I can gather, the short answer is: not really.

Of the 66,638 jobs posted across all language pairs in the last two years, 14,637 (22%) were posted in the last 6 months - not much lower than the 25% or so you might expect over such a time period. 2,419 were posted in the last month (3.6% of the total two-year figure - a bit lower than the 4.2% you might expect if you divided the 24 months evenly - but a single month really isn't enough to draw conclusions in this industry).

I checked how it differs for the top 10 into English language pairs:

Chinese - 1,508 (last month - 37/2.5%; last 6 months - 314/20.8%)
Spanish - 1,395 (last month - 48/3.4%; last 6 months - 280/20%)
French - 1,302 (last month - 37/2.8%; last 6 months - 243/18.7%)
German - 1,245 (last month - 42/3.4%; last 6 months - 253/20.3%)
Japanese - 1,028 (last month - 33/3.2%; last 6 months - 237/23%)
Korean - 938 (last month - 27/2.9%; last 6 months - 177/18.9%)
Italian - 739 (last month - 35/4.7%; last 6 months - 171/23.1%)
Arabic - 614 (last month - 18/2.9%; last 6 months - 147/23.9%)
Russian - 563 (last month - 16/2.8%; last 6 months - 114/20.2%)
Portuguese - 560 (last month - 28/5%; last 6 months - 141/25%)

A bit of a mix.

Proz jobs are but a fraction of what's out there and thus I acknowledge none of this lets us draw any concrete conclusions about the wider market. The raw data also says nothing about how the quality of jobs might be changing. But it's been pointed out that jobs on Proz are often at the lower end of the market, where AI is often hypothesised to be making the most impact. So just thought it was interesting to note that in terms of job volume on here things are, on paper at least, not anywhere near as bad as some might assume.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dan Lucas
ashley moore (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Longer term? Mar 26

Interesting. While this may say something about the impact of AI, the perceived decline in jobs on here has been going on for many years. Are there any longer-term stats to challenge that as well?

ashley moore (X)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Michael Mar 26

The number of jobs posted on Proz may not have declined, but what declined for sure is the number of jobs I’ve received by email due to a number of bugs.

P.S. Anyway, I prefer being contacted directly through the directory...

ashley moore (X)

Matthieu Ledoré
Matthieu Ledoré
France
Local time: 21:23
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
One reason the number may be declining… Mar 26

If you're a serious LSP, you know that your offer may be stuck between a number of posts like this: https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/366743-fr_es_001_usd_to_003_usd_per_word.html

ashley moore (X)

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
But Mar 26

Michael Hughes wrote:

Of the 66,638 jobs posted across all language pairs in the last two years, 14,637 (22%) were posted in the last 6 months - not much lower than the 25% or so you might expect over such a time period.

I'd expect the half-year Q4-Q1 to contain more jobs than average (>25% here), because of Q1 annual reports etc.

Also if the jobs are moving from translation to MTPE (as would be expected with AI), and/or the rates decline, this statistic doesn't reflect it.

Also the comparison has to be made period-to-period. Comparing to an average of the whole timeframe minimizes changes.

The 1-month comparison indicates a change of -14%, and the AI roll-out in corporate offices etc. has only just started. I think a 1-month comparison YoY is perfectly fair (except in the case of global disruption such as pandemic or Ukraine invasion making comparison unreasonable).

[Bearbeitet am 2024-03-26 15:39 GMT]

Tanja Oresnik

Michael Hughes
Michael Hughes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's watch April... Mar 26

I can't compare month to month year-on-year as the past jobs search only lets you load 200 pages at a time (and there's no way to filter it for a specific time period other than last month, last 6 months, last two years etc).

However, looks like there were 3,326 jobs in April 2022. I'll count how many there are in April 2024 and let you know in 5 weeks.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Asking my CV Mar 26

The number of jobs asking my CV and being interested in my CV more than my service hasn’t declined.

Michael Hughes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the number of jobs posted on Proz in decline? (some hard stats)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »