Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Almost finished polishing my profile...opinions plz :)
Thread poster: Ali Alsaqqa
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Aug 26, 2010

I just wanted to congratulate you on your courage in asking for our comments. I still think there should be a separate forum for queries like this - it would be very popular.

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:06
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
:) Aug 26, 2010

philgoddard wrote:

I just wanted to congratulate you on your courage in asking for our comments. I still think there should be a separate forum for queries like this - it would be very popular.

I'm not ashamed of being a novice, at least in profiles

[Edited at 2010-08-26 22:11 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Questions Aug 26, 2010

Ali Al-Saqqa wrote:

"Thanks to my love of translation and my deep knowledge in Engineering
and computer science, I am one of the truly competent and qualified ENG
& IT translators that are hard to find."

Do I look like an arrogant here ??

Yes, frankly, you do rather. Bear in mind that the client couldn't care less about you, only about himself and his job. You need to answer the question foremost in his mind: "What's in it for me?". When a client is looking for a translator, you've got about 5 seconds to answer that question before he'll move on.

There's nothing wrong with a bit self-promotion in a selling situation, but to put yourself forward with a bit more (believable) humility, stick to facts and how it benefits the client.

For example, no one cares if you love translation, unless it means a commitment to good work. Also, when you say "I am one of the truly competent..." etc., the natural reaction of the reader is skepticism. Rather state the facts of why you believe this (experience? education? third party references?) or that you are committed to being such, and what the result will be for your client.

As Phil Goddard says, congrats on asking the questions - we can be pretty demanding of each other and not everyone can take it.

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Ok Aug 26, 2010

OK, I've removed that paragraph. Now, another, longer, paragraph is in place.

I wish I don't look like an arrogant, nor like an idiot, this time

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Almost finished polishing my profile...opinions plz :)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »