Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2]
Poll: How often do you raise your rate for a regular client/agency?
Initiator des Themas: ProZ.com Staff
Tom in London
Tom in London
Vereinigtes Königreich
Local time: 13:14
Mitglied (2008)
Italienisch > Englisch
Back to the topic Aug 19, 2021

please!

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 08:14
Deutsch > Englisch
Shameful poverty level unrelated to current inflation Aug 19, 2021

Barbara Cochran, MFA wrote:

Oh, but there are plenty of people here in the US who have been lining up in their cars to get boxes of free food at churches and other predetermined locations, or going to schools to pick up free breakfasts and lunches, whenever they can, because of the hyper-inflated prices at the grocery stores.

This was going on in 2020 (and before) when the inflation rate was much lower The current inflation rate affects lifestyle choices and is not a direct cause of poverty.

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 08:14
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
This Is The Way Millions Of People In The United States Look At It, In General Aug 19, 2021

Kevin Fulton wrote:

This was going on in 2020 (and before) when the inflation rate was much lower The current inflation rate affects lifestyle choices and is not a direct cause of poverty.

The hyper-inflation that the economic policies of the current federal US regime has created (printing massive amounts of money, with nothing to back it up), coupled with the economic fall-out that has come about because of the pandemic, because of which jobs and medical benefits have, in many cases been lost, or at the least, downgraded, has often led to a scenario for many where the only kind of "choices" they can make is whether to pay the rent, or for life-sustaining medications, or for life-sustaining food, as has often been the case with the "working poor" in this country, anyway. All that, along with hyper-inflation, is forcing many out of the middle class and into the lower classes, which make them more dependent on an all-powerful, "never let a good crisis go to waste" government, including for food, which is a pretty scary scenario, if you were to actually think about it. I am in no danger of any of that myself, but I AM interested in the bigger picture, i.e., the health of the United States, when it comes to everything and everybody else, for the obvious reasons, including the one related to the translation industry.

[Edited at 2021-08-19 19:14 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:14
Französisch > Englisch
Repeated question Aug 19, 2021

This question comes up from time to time. I don't know if the answers change over time, if anyone is observing this point from a statistical point of view etc. I just wonder why it has been asked a number of times.

writeaway

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:14
Mitglied (2007)
Englisch > Portugiesisch
+ ...
@Nikki Aug 20, 2021

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

This question comes up from time to time. I don't know if the answers change over time, if anyone is observing this point from a statistical point of view etc. I just wonder why it has been asked a number of times.

I would say that it’s a feature, not a defect

Defect

Quick Polls and Translation Articles are very regularly recycled…

Kevin Fulton

Andreas Baranowski
Andreas Baranowski  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:14
Japanisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Snicker Aug 20, 2021

My rates haven’t changed in 20 years except for one increase which I didn’t even ask for. The environment in Japan has been deflationary for the best part of two decades, which explains this bit. But with industrial end users running out of room for absorbing the downward pressure on consumer prices, agencies of late have had to change their modus operandi from human translation to MT + PE. Guess which way translation rates are going. I have no regrets because life has been good for a very l... See more
My rates haven’t changed in 20 years except for one increase which I didn’t even ask for. The environment in Japan has been deflationary for the best part of two decades, which explains this bit. But with industrial end users running out of room for absorbing the downward pressure on consumer prices, agencies of late have had to change their modus operandi from human translation to MT + PE. Guess which way translation rates are going. I have no regrets because life has been good for a very long time but it’s sad to see this happen.Collapse

Steven Ritchie

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dänemark
Local time: 14:14
Mitglied (2003)
Dänisch > Englisch
+ ...
Tragic and not viable Aug 20, 2021

I practically never put my rates up for regular clients, but, like others, I raise them for new clients, and the others tend to disappear anyway. Especially if I try to raise rates, or even refuse to lower them.

No rule without exceptions, however. I have just delivered a job - at the same rate as when I started in 2003 - to a client who sent me jobs back then, and has done so ever since. She paid well then, and with straightforward, hassle-free jobs, she is still average to good!... See more
I practically never put my rates up for regular clients, but, like others, I raise them for new clients, and the others tend to disappear anyway. Especially if I try to raise rates, or even refuse to lower them.

No rule without exceptions, however. I have just delivered a job - at the same rate as when I started in 2003 - to a client who sent me jobs back then, and has done so ever since. She paid well then, and with straightforward, hassle-free jobs, she is still average to good!

Unfortunately, the food queues and situations like the one Barbara Cochran describes will be exploited by agencies, and all sorts of bilinguals and people with a second language will try their hand at translating for whatever rates they can get. The USA is certainly not the only place where it is happening. I am afraid the struggle for professional standards and especially viable rates is not going to end any time soon.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Karenlise Nielsen

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you raise your rate for a regular client/agency?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »