Update on changes made to the ProZ.com job posting system, 28 May, 2010
投稿者: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 13:45
サイトのスタッフ
May 28, 2010

Dear Members,

This is the seventh update posted on some of the progress being made in the changes to the ProZ.com job posting system. Previous updates are listed under the "Updates" section at http://www.proz.com/about/ipetition/changes

Here's what is new this week:

• As announced earlie... See more
  • Dear Members,

This is the seventh update posted on some of the progress being made in the changes to the ProZ.com job posting system. Previous updates are listed under the "Updates" section at http://www.proz.com/about/ipetition/changes

• As announced earlier this week at http://www.proz.com/topic/171764 the "Jobs and directories" menu was adjusted, to give prominence to the directory options.

• A directory search option was introduced to the home page for non-logged in visitors. On the first day this option was added, there was roughly one directory search per minute.

• A new menu tab, "Education", was released. The "Education" tab contains items aimed at improving translator skills and knowledge, and tools that can be used to collaborate and share experience in the support of the livelihood of professional translators; for example, the ProZ.com Wiki is located under this tab.

• Details on the changes to the job posting system, staff reaction, member involvement and input can all be seen on the changes to be made to the ProZ.com job posting system pages.

If you have not done so already, you may subscribe to the above pages to receive email notification when updates are made or new information is added.

Thanks to ProZ.com members for all the feedback and support of the site!

Regards,

Jared
    Member services
    ProZ.com
    Collapse

Giuseppe Bellone
    Giuseppe Bellone
    イタリア
    Local time: 18:45
    英語 から イタリア語
    + ...
    Thanks Jared May 28, 2010

Thank you all for what you're doing.
    MisterBeppe

Peishun CHIANG
    Peishun CHIANG  Identity Verified
    日本
    2004に入会
    英語 から 日本語
    + ...
    Thank you. May 28, 2010

Thank you for your continuous effort.

Peishun

Mary-Ann Marque
    Mary-Ann Marque  Identity Verified
    フランス
    英語 から フランス語
    + ...
    Thank you Jared May 28, 2010

Jared wrote:

Dear Members,

• As announced earlier this week at http://www.proz.com/topic/171764 the "Jobs and directories" menu was adjusted, to give prominence to the directory options.

• A directory search option was introduced to the home page for non-logged in visitors. On the first day this option was added, there was roughly one directory search per minute.

• A new menu tab, "Education", was released. The "Education" tab contains items aimed at improving translator skills and knowledge, and tools that can be used to collaborate and share experience in the support of the livelihood of professional translators; for example, the ProZ.com Wiki is located under this tab.

• Details on the changes to the job posting system, staff reaction, member involvement and input can all be seen on the changes to be made to the ProZ.com job posting system pages.

If you have not done so already, you may subscribe to the above pages to receive email notification when updates are made or new information is added.

Thanks to ProZ.com members for all the feedback and support of the site!

Regards,

Jared
    Member services
    ProZ.com

Beba Maranz
    Beba Maranz
    スイス
    ドイツ語 から フランス語
    + ...
    Merci, Jared for your continuous efforts :-) May 28, 2010

An excellent idea:

"Proposed addition: "Professionals: ... set their rates at levels that allow them to deliver, on an ongoing basis, the quality levels that their clients require""

+ insist HEAVILY on correlation between quality-price-delivery deadlines

as a monoconcept (undissociable)

Susie Miles (X)
    Susie Miles (X)  Identity Verified
    Local time: 13:45
    英語 から スペイン語
    The difference that these steps mean May 29, 2010

Dear Jared,

Just thank you and all the community, as well as the groups that initiated this change in translators' working conditions.

I have not been able to read all about it. But I have already read enough to make the following comment: This encourages me to continue being interested in freelance translation and .... to work in a more desirable and enthusiastic way.

I will keep on reading...

In Spanish: Estos cambios hacen que yo vea la p
    ... See more
    Dear Jared,

Just thank you and all the community, as well as the groups that initiated this change in translators' working conditions.

I have not been able to read all about it. But I have already read enough to make the following comment: This encourages me to continue being interested in freelance translation and .... to work in a more desirable and enthusiastic way.

I will keep on reading...

In Spanish: Estos cambios hacen que yo vea la posibilidad de trabajar de una manera mucho más conveniente y sentirme mucho más a gusto con el trabajo de traducción en general.

Saludos cordiales,
    Susie Miles
    Collapse

Eclectic Stew
    Eclectic Stew  Identity Verified
    米国
    Local time: 09:45
    フランス語 から 英語
    + ...
    Question on pricing for job offers May 29, 2010

I also want to thank the Proz.com staff for the major efforts they have recently undertaken to improve the site and the profession. I think the new initiatives here on Proz.com are mostly very good and welcome changes. Due to my many activities I have not been able to study what's going on here in the detail that I would like, so I would be grateful if someone more knowledgeable could answer my question:

On the job posting pages, job outsourcers are now required to enter any financi
    ... See more
    I also want to thank the Proz.com staff for the major efforts they have recently undertaken to improve the site and the profession. I think the new initiatives here on Proz.com are mostly very good and welcome changes. Due to my many activities I have not been able to study what's going on here in the detail that I would like, so I would be grateful if someone more knowledgeable could answer my question:

On the job posting pages, job outsourcers are now required to enter any financial information in a way that translators can either view or not, and use as a criterion in choosing which job notices they want to receive.

If as a translator, you choose to hide financial info in job offers, you can reveal it with a simple click on the job offer page, which is good I guess because otherwise I'd be dying of curiosity!

But here is where I need some education. I thought one of the goals of this initiative was to discourage job posters from setting pricing -- the idea is that setting the pricing should be the prerogative of the community of service providers (ie, translators) like it is in so many other professions. But does formalizing the process of entering pricing info and simply hiding that info on the job pages accomplish this? The job poster is still setting a rate, its just that I now have to click a link to see it.

Is this where this process supposed to go?

Please understand that I plead substantial ignorance on this question, I'm just perplexed based on my limited knowledge of the project and its goals.

I do want to thank Proz.com for choosing to be real player and force for good in the freelance translation business -- many of the recent changes to the site are wonderful -- but any explanation anyone could offer on this pricing issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Collapse

Salman Rostami
    Salman Rostami  Identity Verified
    カナダ
    Local time: 09:45
    2009に入会
    英語 から ペルシャ語
    + ...
    Thank you Jared! Jun 2, 2010

Thank you for your hard work to make this environment more professional!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
    Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
    Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Update on changes made to the ProZ.com job posting system, 28 May, 2010

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »