Téma indítója: Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 17:25
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Nov 11, 2013

I have been receiving some weird emails over the last couple of days from people asking for work. They always come in twos and all have basically the same formats/styles. They all have the same subject translator and they're all coming from different gmail accounts, even though they're masking the email addresses. They just 'feel' like the same person. I've run some searches on the sames used and pulled up a couple of translators that look like real people, one here on proz, but I haven't found... See more
I have been receiving some weird emails over the last couple of days from people asking for work. They always come in twos and all have basically the same formats/styles. They all have the same subject translator and they're all coming from different gmail accounts, even though they're masking the email addresses. They just 'feel' like the same person. I've run some searches on the sames used and pulled up a couple of translators that look like real people, one here on proz, but I haven't found any contact information.

Is anyone else receiving these things?

I received two more while writing this.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Lengyelország
Local time: 01:25
Tag (2002 óta)
angol - orosz
+ ...

MODERÁTOR
A WEBOLDALAT LOKALIZÁLÓ FORDÍTÓ
Hi Triston Nov 11, 2013

This must be the continuation of the story described in the sticky thread in this forum:
http://www.proz.com/topic/230462

Natalia

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Németország
Local time: 01:25
angol - cseh
+ ...
Probably identity theft Nov 11, 2013

I was going to write you should contact those "translators that look like real people" and only now have noticed you say you don't have any contact details for them... But you surely should be able to contact the one that's on Proz...?
Why don't you actually post their names here? Maybe somebody knows them?
Otherwise I think everybody reading your post will be just scared to death of being one of them... I certainly am ://

[Edited at 2013-11-11 19:31 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugália
Local time: 00:25
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - portugál
+ ...
@Triston Nov 11, 2013

Me too, I have been receiving those "twin" emails and I am sending all those CVs directly to the bin...

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 17:25
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Just trying to find the source Nov 11, 2013

Teresa, if you're receiving them as well, I'm inclined to think that they're coming from here. I'm going to try and hunt down as many of the translators as I can and contact them this evening.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugália
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - portugál
+ ...
Do the mails you are receiving... Nov 11, 2013

Triston Goodwin wrote:

Teresa, if you're receiving them as well, I'm inclined to think that they're coming from here. I'm going to try and hunt down as many of the translators as I can and contact them this evening.

... contain a line saying "my minimum rate is xx per source word, but I prefer to work at xx per source word"?

Clive Phillips
Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Tag (2009 óta)
német - angol
+ ...
Stolen identity from CV? Nov 12, 2013

Triston,
Maybe it results from identity theft from CVs. Translation agencies/companies seem to suffer ever more frequently from this sort of thing.
Marta Stelmaszak's sound advice for freelance translators in her August blog:
http://wantwords.co.uk/school/lesson-61-how-to-protect-your-translator-cv-from-scammers/
One of her
... See more
Triston,
Maybe it results from identity theft from CVs. Translation agencies/companies seem to suffer ever more frequently from this sort of thing.
Marta Stelmaszak's sound advice for freelance translators in her August blog:
http://wantwords.co.uk/school/lesson-61-how-to-protect-your-translator-cv-from-scammers/
One of her links is to Joao Roque Dias's list of scammers, where you may or may not find the names used in the emails you received.
Clive
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
angol - olasz
+ ...
Not stolen identities, not coming through Proz Nov 12, 2013

I am receiving the same, CV's from people who claim to be translators. These are not stolen identities, since their names don't show up after a search on Google, and they don't come from or through Proz (they are writing to me through another e-mail address not connected to Proz).

They don't list a telephone number or, when they do, it is a non existing number (I tried to dial it to check if I was right in thinking it was a scam). They all come from gmail addresses and they probably
... See more
I am receiving the same, CV's from people who claim to be translators. These are not stolen identities, since their names don't show up after a search on Google, and they don't come from or through Proz (they are writing to me through another e-mail address not connected to Proz).

They don't list a telephone number or, when they do, it is a non existing number (I tried to dial it to check if I was right in thinking it was a scam). They all come from gmail addresses and they probably copied their data from someone else's CV (I can see a copy and paste pattern in their "CV", they did not even bother to change the font and make it consistent).

Not sure what their purpose is, maybe perform a translation with Google and get paid for it?

[Modificato alle 2013-11-12 10:48 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stolen Identities?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »