Anna Bednarska, MA MCIL
Anna Bednarska, MA MCIL  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 06:39
英語 から ポーランド語
+ ...
Mar 3, 2014

Has anyone received it today?

To the ladies who posted in the hidden thread - please, let us know as soon as you manage to tackle this problem.

Thanks!

Anna

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 01:39
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
Yes, I have Mar 3, 2014

and deleted it

Anna Bednarska, MA MCIL
英国
英語 から ポーランド語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have you deleted the email or the account? Mar 3, 2014

Do you know that after clicking on the provided link you are taken to your profile on their website where all your data is published?

I couldn't edit my data nor cancel the account so I have emailed them and asked to delete my profile. I haven't received any answer so far, though.

dhodgson (X)
dhodgson (X)
フィンランド
Local time: 08:39
フィンランド語 から 英語
+ ...
I can't find a way to edit or cancel mine, either Mar 3, 2014

I followed the link in the email, which led to "my" profile, which is how I found out it existed. I saved their email, and sent a reply to their support email address telling them to remove my information. We'll see if they reply.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 01:39
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
@ Anna Mar 4, 2014

I deleted the email. I did look at the link and my "profile," which consisted of the first few sentences of my CV (don't know where they got it), but decided the whole thing wasn't worth worrying about.

dhodgson (X)
dhodgson (X)
フィンランド
フィンランド語 から 英語
+ ...
"my" profile has my entire CV and more Mar 4, 2014

"My" profile on their site http://www.tdabids.com/Translators/Profiles/1933 includes my entire CV plus my freestyle description of my experience, although they are about eight years old. It even has a "Prices" tab with my current rate, no idea where they got all that. So it really looks like I work with them, and I'm pretty concerned about the effect on my reputation. Has anyone else foun... See more
"My" profile on their site http://www.tdabids.com/Translators/Profiles/1933 includes my entire CV plus my freestyle description of my experience, although they are about eight years old. It even has a "Prices" tab with my current rate, no idea where they got all that. So it really looks like I work with them, and I'm pretty concerned about the effect on my reputation. Has anyone else found extensive stolen information like that at "your" link?Collapse

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
フランス
Local time: 07:39
英語 から オランダ語
+ ...
For what it is worth... Mar 4, 2014

...TDABids is the Project management system of a reputable translation agency with branches in the US, the Far East and in Czech Republic. I don't see anything wrong with being listed with them, as long as they don't lie about working with you or about your rates. I have worked intensively with this agency for a long period in the past and always got paid, although at one point the entire PM team seemed to be replaced in a rather short period of time, and things temporarily deteriorated rapidly ... See more
...TDABids is the Project management system of a reputable translation agency with branches in the US, the Far East and in Czech Republic. I don't see anything wrong with being listed with them, as long as they don't lie about working with you or about your rates. I have worked intensively with this agency for a long period in the past and always got paid, although at one point the entire PM team seemed to be replaced in a rather short period of time, and things temporarily deteriorated rapidly after that.

I appreciate that people call the email a scam, but perhaps that was a bit quick of the mark in this case. I cannot name the agency here for forum rules, but if the forum moderator allows me to do so in a private message, I am more than willing to disclose the name of the translation agency. I am not about to eliminate my profile on TDABids, because there are the odd assignments trickling in again, and as far as I am concerned, money is money...
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
フランス
メンバー
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Transparency? Mar 4, 2014

Theo Bernards wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with being listed with them, as long as they don't lie about working with you or about your rates.

I think what people are objecting to is the fact that their profiles have been created and their details used apparently without their having been specifically asked — and the fact many people have only found out about it by accident rather suggests that they have never been given the opportunity to either opt in/out of this feature, nor aparently to vet the information published.

Frankly, this does not look like a terribly transparent or well-managed function — however well-intentioned it might be. I would not work with a company that showed such lack of professional integrity. It is particularly worrying that no provision seems to have been made for the concerned party to either edit or delete their profile information themselves.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
フランス
英語 から フランス語
+ ...
Add a translator you know ? Mar 4, 2014

They have a feature "Add a translator you know"
From the website:
"If you already use a translator(s) or have used a translator in the past for your projects, TDABids has a special feature, allowing you to add your translator(s) to become a member of the TDABids translator database. "

Totally unprofessional if you ask me.

Ronnie Halpern
Ronnie Halpern  Identity Verified
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
Not a scam but not what I thought it was either Mar 4, 2014

I have also worked for this translation agency, although not much in the last few years. I have done many jobs for them and always found them to be reputable. There were never any serious problems with payment. I assumed that the TBABids system was simply an automated PM system for their own use, with access for some of their major clients to interface directly with translators on major projects. I only ever received work through this system from the PMs of the agency itself, and the impression ... See more
I have also worked for this translation agency, although not much in the last few years. I have done many jobs for them and always found them to be reputable. There were never any serious problems with payment. I assumed that the TBABids system was simply an automated PM system for their own use, with access for some of their major clients to interface directly with translators on major projects. I only ever received work through this system from the PMs of the agency itself, and the impression they gave me that it was simply an automated system similar those that other agencies have. I found the following in an email from 2008 from the agency, explaining how this system would work.
"The new version of our online project management software is known as TDABIDS. This new version of our web-based software has two important advantages:
1. It allows the entire project contract to be managed online, including job specifications, files and support files, project pricing, issuance and acceptance of P.O., agreed modifications to P.O., and invoicing.
2. It will allow the translator to communicate directly with the persons ordering the project, including the actual persons ordering the work within the large corporation.
Through TDABIDS, XXXXXX will distribute projects from our clients, which are limited to the largest international corporations. Translators will receive emails asking them if they want to work on projects that involve their language pairs listed in the TDABIDS database.
In a few months from now, once the system is used and tested, we will allow international corporations to use the TDABIDS system to contact and work directly with translators. "

A simple Google search for TDABids reveals immediately who owns the site, and once on it there seems to be no restriction on accessing the information it contains, including financial information.
There is clearly a major difference between what I was told this site would be for and what it seems to be today. They have no right to disclose such information to the world at large without seeking permission first and I intend to inform them and remove myself from the site.
Collapse

Anna Bednarska, MA MCIL
英国
英語 から ポーランド語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your input! Mar 4, 2014

I now understand everything. I am happy not to be a victim of a scam but still this situation worries me a bit. As mentioned above, it is not very professional to publish somebody's data without authorization. I have googled this very agency and indeed, I have been in contact with one of their PMs two years back - so the fact that they have my data is justified. However, it was wrong of them 1. not to inform me of the existence of such "online marketplace" (as they call it), 2. not to ask if I w... See more
I now understand everything. I am happy not to be a victim of a scam but still this situation worries me a bit. As mentioned above, it is not very professional to publish somebody's data without authorization. I have googled this very agency and indeed, I have been in contact with one of their PMs two years back - so the fact that they have my data is justified. However, it was wrong of them 1. not to inform me of the existence of such "online marketplace" (as they call it), 2. not to ask if I would like to be included there and 3. not to give me a chance to update my data, edit them (there is a typo in my profile which I didn't make in my CV) or delete the profile.

Oh, and I am still waiting for their answer - very disappointing...
Collapse

dhodgson (X)
dhodgson (X)
フィンランド
フィンランド語 から 英語
+ ...
Unhidden Mar 4, 2014

Anna Bednarska, MA MCIL wrote:

Has anyone received it today?

To the ladies who posted in the hidden thread - please, let us know as soon as you manage to tackle this problem.

Thanks!

Anna

Hi Anna,
We can no request out posts about this to be "unhidden" as Proz decided that TDABids is not an "outsourcer" in the sense that would make it against forum rules to mention them by name.

Deb

dhodgson (X)
dhodgson (X)
フィンランド
フィンランド語 から 英語
+ ...
correction Mar 4, 2014

Meant to say that we CAN now request to have our posts unhidden. Typo, very sorry, very busy here!

Anna Bednarska, MA MCIL
英国
英語 から ポーランド語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have just received an email from their support... Mar 4, 2014

and have been informed that my profile is removed. However, some pieces of information are still visible there. I have informed their staff about it and hope it will be taken care of very soon

@ Deborah - good to know! However, I feel it's not necessary any more

dhodgson (X)
dhodgson (X)
フィンランド
フィンランド語 から 英語
+ ...
Mine has now been removed, too Mar 5, 2014

I sent a rather aggressive email to their support address, and all my information was removed within six hours.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Update your public translator profile", Czech website

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »