Vista Easy Transfer Software--Does it work?
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 21, 2009

Friends,

I'm hoping someone out there has used Belkin's Easy Transfer Cable with Window's Vista Easy Transfer Software. I can't seem to get it to work.

Both computers acknowledge that they are attached to the cable, and I get past the step where I choose what I want to transfer over. Then the old computer begins gathering the files.

At the point, I've had 2 things happen: after making about 2% progress, suddenly both machines said the cable was disconnect
... See more
Friends,

I'm hoping someone out there has used Belkin's Easy Transfer Cable with Window's Vista Easy Transfer Software. I can't seem to get it to work.

Both computers acknowledge that they are attached to the cable, and I get past the step where I choose what I want to transfer over. Then the old computer begins gathering the files.

At the point, I've had 2 things happen: after making about 2% progress, suddenly both machines said the cable was disconnected -- but they were still cabled together (I hadn't touched anything).

I rebooted both machines and started over. At the same point (2% of files gathered), I went away for about 45 minutes. When I returned, no progress in gathering the files had been made (but this time there was no indication that the cables were not connected).

I'd like to know how long the transfer process takes (I'm trying to move about 3GB since most of what is on the old computer won't be needed).

And I'd greatly appreciate any tips about why I don't seem to get past this particularly point with the software.

Thanks!
Patricia
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:37
English to French
+ ...
Same here Jul 21, 2009

I tried several times to use it when I bought my new desktop, I had so many files and settings on my laptop that needed to be transfered. I had the same problem you describe, the progress bar starts and then jams at about 3% and then I get the message that the cable has disconnected. In the end I copied the most important files on my external hard drive and left the rest on my laptop, in the hope that someday I find the courage and the patience to try again...

I wish I had a soluti
... See more
I tried several times to use it when I bought my new desktop, I had so many files and settings on my laptop that needed to be transfered. I had the same problem you describe, the progress bar starts and then jams at about 3% and then I get the message that the cable has disconnected. In the end I copied the most important files on my external hard drive and left the rest on my laptop, in the hope that someday I find the courage and the patience to try again...

I wish I had a solution, but I hope somebody will help us!

[Edited at 2009-07-22 11:05 GMT]
Collapse

Umutay Midinova
Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 04:37
English to Kirghiz
+ ...
There are other options! Jul 21, 2009

I have no special cables only this one which is used to connect computers into local network. I have used other options, namely this direct transferring from one computer into another. Since the old is XP installed, the program Easy Transfer needs to be installed on a flash card. Open Easy Transfer on a new computer, get the password; when you insert the flash card with the program, this option will appear in the Autorun menu. The program checks if computers are connected and asks to enter the p... See more
I have no special cables only this one which is used to connect computers into local network. I have used other options, namely this direct transferring from one computer into another. Since the old is XP installed, the program Easy Transfer needs to be installed on a flash card. Open Easy Transfer on a new computer, get the password; when you insert the flash card with the program, this option will appear in the Autorun menu. The program checks if computers are connected and asks to enter the password from the new computer. And it is up to to choose folders and files to transfer.Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
it's so frustrating... Jul 21, 2009

Thanks for telling me your story. At least, now we know we're not the problem! I may do what you describe, but it would have been nice to have things like the e-mail settings transfer over.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
solved with a memory stick Jul 21, 2009

I'm not sure I follow what Umutay is saying. I have all the hardware and software needed to do the transfer, but it just stops midstream.

I am really mad that I bought the cable. I just took my 4G memory stick and plugged it in to the old computer, ran the Easy Transfer software, which took a while because of all the photos, and then I plugged it in to the new laptop, ran the software there, and everything appears to have transferred over.

I hope other won't waste their
... See more
I'm not sure I follow what Umutay is saying. I have all the hardware and software needed to do the transfer, but it just stops midstream.

I am really mad that I bought the cable. I just took my 4G memory stick and plugged it in to the old computer, ran the Easy Transfer software, which took a while because of all the photos, and then I plugged it in to the new laptop, ran the software there, and everything appears to have transferred over.

I hope other won't waste their money on the cable!

Thanks,
Patricia

PS If you need to transfer large gigabytes, you can use multiple memory sticks ...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vista Easy Transfer Software--Does it work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »