Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 18:30
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
But Sep 29, 2023

Who is the target audience of this work?

To fully comprehend a translation error, one needs to know both languages perfectly. Therefore, randoms lists of random language pairs not sure how effective that will be.

[Edited at 2023-09-29 07:36 GMT]

mubasharzulf
mubasharzulf
United Arab Emirates
Lost in Translation: Investigating Errors and Accountability in Multilingual Media Sep 29, 2023

Hello! It's great that you're working on a thesis focusing on translation errors. Translation is a complex process, and errors can happen for various reasons. I can provide you with some examples of both types of errors you mentioned:

Errors whose fault falls on the translator:

In a video game translation, a character's name was mistranslated, leading to confusion among players.
A book translation contained multiple grammar and spelling mistakes that were clearly
... See more
Hello! It's great that you're working on a thesis focusing on translation errors. Translation is a complex process, and errors can happen for various reasons. I can provide you with some examples of both types of errors you mentioned:

Errors whose fault falls on the translator:

In a video game translation, a character's name was mistranslated, leading to confusion among players.
A book translation contained multiple grammar and spelling mistakes that were clearly the translator's responsibility.
In a legal document translation, a key clause was translated incorrectly, leading to legal disputes.
Errors caused by external factors:

In a medical translation, the translator was not provided with crucial context about a patient's medical history, leading to an inaccurate translation.
A marketing translation project suffered from a lack of cooperation from the client, who did not provide necessary product information, resulting in a poorly translated advertising campaign.
A software localization project was delayed due to the client's failure to provide access to the source code, making it impossible for the translator to accurately translate the user interface.
These are just a few examples, but there are many more out there. You might want to explore specific case studies in each category to provide more depth to your thesis. Additionally, you can look for academic papers and articles in the field of translation studies that discuss various translation errors and their causes. Good luck with your thesis!
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
can't see the problem Sep 29, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

To fully comprehend a translation error, one needs to know both languages perfectly. Therefore, randoms lists of random language pairs not sure how effective that will be.

Well, those providing the examples will explain the mistakes.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes but Sep 29, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Well, those providing the examples will explain the mistakes.

Not all mistakes can be backtranslated to be clear to someone not familiar with a language. I won't understand an idiomatic mistake between Chinese and English even if you provide an explanation (not in the right way).

Simone Leccese
Simone Leccese
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
True enough Sep 29, 2023

That's a fair point, Lingua 5B.

The language barrier could potentially be troublesome for certain errors, but I probably won't cover those. (After all, I'd have to be the one to understand them to begin with, otherwise I wouldn't be able to write about them)

For example, the viral GoT one linked by Jeff Whittaker is a pretty good example! Anyone can get it and it's so silly that it somehow happened.
MT ones are always a classic, but doubt I'll focus much on them o
... See more
That's a fair point, Lingua 5B.

The language barrier could potentially be troublesome for certain errors, but I probably won't cover those. (After all, I'd have to be the one to understand them to begin with, otherwise I wouldn't be able to write about them)

For example, the viral GoT one linked by Jeff Whittaker is a pretty good example! Anyone can get it and it's so silly that it somehow happened.
MT ones are always a classic, but doubt I'll focus much on them other than an "honourable mention" or something similar. I'm aiming for variety, as I've said.

Keep in mind this is a university thesis, so to be honest I'm not sure how many people will actually get to read it other than the teachers I'll be presenting it to on graduation day. I guess the target audience in my case would be them and friends of mine (but I can't picture us reading the *entirety* of each other's thesis, haha).
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:30
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
. Sep 30, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

[Edited at 2023-09-29 07:36 GMT]

I beg to differ, Lingua 5B. For example, Image 2 titled "Reglement Piscine" and Image 10 titled "Nutrition Facts", are easy to spot, even if you don't know both languages. If you are a native speaker of English, obviously you will understand that the pool instructions in English is weird and that the facility wanted to say the opposite thing. And for nutrition facts for a can of a soda (?), a French native who doesn't know a word of English would be able to figure out (maybe it may take a while) what's wrong with "par 1 Pouvez" and what it intended to say.

Lingua 5B
Zea_Mays
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
OK Sep 30, 2023

And a translation error between Hindi and Hungarian, if it were backtranslated into English, and wouldn't make any sense in English error wise, you would still be able to understand it?

Personally to me it feels as if someone was telling me a joke, and then took the time to explain to me why this joke is funny. Point lost.

Yasutomo Kanazawa

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
You don't need to understand the original or the target Sep 30, 2023

just what is wrong and who's fault it is, which will be explained.

Yasutomo Kanazawa

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Don't get it Sep 30, 2023

How come you don't need to understand the original in order to understand the error?

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
explanation Sep 30, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

How come you don't need to understand the original in order to understand the error?

You don't need to speak any of the languages in this case, but someone has to explain you
what's wrong with the translation and who's fault it is.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Still don't get it Sep 30, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

You don't need to speak any of the languages in this case, but someone has to explain you

That method won't be possible with certain types of errors, it can only be done with some errors (but it's still quite different from primary/direct comprehension).

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
see here Sep 30, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

That method won't be possible with certain types of errors, it can only be done with some errors (but it's still quite different from primary/direct comprehension).

Just see how people is explaining mistakes on the page linked by the original poster:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TranslationStudies/comments/15rvk7s/examples_of_translation_errors/?rdt=46084

Mistakes related to missing context often happen when you get a string file with no comments on their meaning.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:30
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Simone Oct 1, 2023

I’ve just watched one of the many TV shows on flipping houses where “powder room” was translated in Portuguese as “toucador” (a dressing table). Curiously enough (?!) that’s one of the “suggestions” offered by GT…

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:30
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What? Oct 1, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I’ve just watched one of the many TV shows on flipping houses where “powder room” was translated in Portuguese as “toucador” (a dressing table). Curiously enough (?!) that’s one of the “suggestions” offered by GT…

Isn't "powder room" an American euphemism for one of the many things they don't like to talk about - in this case the TOILET?

Anne Maclennan
Anne Maclennan  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
Another example Oct 3, 2023

In the Dr. Who series the doctor has a robot dog. In the English original the dog is called “K9” - pronounced “kay nine” which gives the sound of the English word, “canine” = dog. The French version of the series has called the dog “K9”, pronounced “Ka neuf”. The translator has obviously missed the play on words or sounds in the original name of the dog.

Tom in London

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concrete Examples of Translation Errors

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »