Off topic: Concrete Examples of Translation Errors
Thread poster: Simone Leccese
Simone Leccese
Simone Leccese
Italy
Local time: 20:49
Sep 26, 2023

Hello everyone.

I asked this on Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/TranslationStudies/comments/15rvk7s/examples_of_translation_errors/ ), but was advised to also ask here to reach out to more people!

I'm currently working on a thesis focusing on translation errors and I want to showcase two varieties of errors in a varie
... See more
Hello everyone.

I asked this on Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/TranslationStudies/comments/15rvk7s/examples_of_translation_errors/ ), but was advised to also ask here to reach out to more people!

I'm currently working on a thesis focusing on translation errors and I want to showcase two varieties of errors in a variety of media (patents, books, TV, games... anything that can be translated).
I'm classifying two kinds of errors:

1) Errors whose fault falls on the translator, and
2) Those caused by external factors (Say, uncooperative agency failing to provide more context to the translator, which should be part of their job)

Ideally, I'm looking for a concrete example of an error I can actually look up, so if you know anything in particular, do share!
Otherwise, please share your experience of translating something only to realise you messed up AFTER the fact, whether that was on you or not! (Of course, being a thesis, I hope you'll let me write about it! Credits will obviously be given properly.)

If I didn't explain myself properly and/or you need more clarification, let me know!

[Modificato alle 2023-09-27 10:00 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Simone Sep 27, 2023

Errors in any language?

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Simone Leccese
Simone Leccese
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida's message Sep 27, 2023

Sure!
Any language is welcome, BUT, since I can only get by with Italian, English, Spanish, and some Japanese, if it's any language that isn't any of these, make sure to give a brief explanation, or I might not be able to understand the error myself.

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
A minefield Sep 27, 2023

To get the ball rolling, here are a few thoughts you may want to consider.

I doubt any professional translators would be willing to admit any errors (glaring or otherwise) they might have made, unless they did so when they first started translating.

When working with outsourcers, translators are requested to sign NDAs, which would prevent them from sharing any content translated for said outsourcers and their end clients over time.

Once a translation is del
... See more
To get the ball rolling, here are a few thoughts you may want to consider.

I doubt any professional translators would be willing to admit any errors (glaring or otherwise) they might have made, unless they did so when they first started translating.

When working with outsourcers, translators are requested to sign NDAs, which would prevent them from sharing any content translated for said outsourcers and their end clients over time.

Once a translation is delivered to an agency, either their own reviewer(s) or the end client's may edit the original translation without the translator knowing, introducing what they see as improvements in the process, with end results that may not always be up to par.

Agencies may not be familiar with the language pairs their pool of translators work in. Here's another setback.

You also have to take into account the 'wild west' of amateur translators, whose mistranslations, etc. regretfully abound on- and off-line, as well as on paper.

Not being familiar with the field or the subject at hand is another element which may produce risible results, as it is evident on a daily basis in the KudoZ area.

And then there's those translating out of their native language. Again, there's plenty of examples of this sort of translations around.

Least but not least, machine-translated or AI-produced content.

The colleagues who, like me, have been around the block more than once, have seen their fair share of mistranslated content. But asking us to retrieve those for you would take too much of our time.

I'm afraid to say it looks like things might not be as straightforward as you would have hoped.

If you want to keep delving into this topic, you'd better put your best foot forward and start searching yourself.

But beware, it's a minefield out there!
Collapse

expressisverbis

Matthieu Ledoré
Matthieu Ledoré
France
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
Interesting topic Sep 27, 2023

Hello Simone!
I haven't been able to access your Reddit post.
However, I can think of a handful of cases which could help you immediately, and more that I could research.
Could you, however, clarify the scope of your work? For instance, translations in a wrong dialect might or might not be considered as errors.
Best regards,
Matthieu.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
False friends Sep 27, 2023

You may take false friends as an inspiration. While I used to do proofreading, I saw plenty of this type of errors with newbie/inexperienced/incompetent translators.

Examples of false friends include English embarrassed and Spanish embarazada 'pregnant'; English parents versus Portuguese parentes and Italian parenti (both meaning 'relatives'); English demand and French demander 'ask'; and English gift, German Gift 'poison', and Norwegian gift 'married'.

Taken fro
... See more
You may take false friends as an inspiration. While I used to do proofreading, I saw plenty of this type of errors with newbie/inexperienced/incompetent translators.

Examples of false friends include English embarrassed and Spanish embarazada 'pregnant'; English parents versus Portuguese parentes and Italian parenti (both meaning 'relatives'); English demand and French demander 'ask'; and English gift, German Gift 'poison', and Norwegian gift 'married'.

Taken from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_friend#:~:text=Examples%20of%20false%20friends%20include,and%20Norwegian%20gift%20'married'.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Simone Leccese
Simone Leccese
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Matthieu's and Barbara's messages Sep 27, 2023

Thank you for the insight Barbara. It really is a minefield out there!
One of the inspirations came from a drastic change in a character's writing in the manga "I Think I Turned My Childhood Friend Into A Girl", which I showed to my teacher when proposing the idea behind the thesis.
There was a lot of controversy around it, and it being the internet, there was a lot of toxicity from both those defending the choice and those attacking it!
There is quite a bit to say about it so
... See more
Thank you for the insight Barbara. It really is a minefield out there!
One of the inspirations came from a drastic change in a character's writing in the manga "I Think I Turned My Childhood Friend Into A Girl", which I showed to my teacher when proposing the idea behind the thesis.
There was a lot of controversy around it, and it being the internet, there was a lot of toxicity from both those defending the choice and those attacking it!
There is quite a bit to say about it so I suggest you check it out if you're not familiar.

Finding controversies in manga/anime (even games) media is actually rather easy to the point a whole thesis could probably be made just on those, but I want variation so I was looking for other types of media, and it would probably look better for the thesis.

Hey Matthieu!
As for the Reddit post, it might be because the URL accidentally includes ")," from the post. Try removing those and it should work! (I've also gone ahead and added spaces before and after the link, so it shouldn't happen anymore.)
For errors, I mean in the actual sense of the word. Something that everyone agrees it just is one, without much interpretation in the way. (See above, but doesn't necessarily need to be anything *that* major)

Thank you for the responses to everyone so far.
I try to reply as fast as I can but it seems approval time takes a little while.
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A few concrete examples Sep 27, 2023

Grammar and syntax errors (ex.: different use of PT-PT and PT-BR personal pronouns);
Mistranslations (ex.: take a look at some of the historical fails in translation on the Web);
Cultural differences (ex.: the word "desert" for the Maya people means an open field, while for the Arab people it means a dry and sandy area);
Inconsistent translations (the good use of CAT tools prevent them);
Missing context (it happens more than we can imagine);
Acronyms and abbreviatio
... See more
Grammar and syntax errors (ex.: different use of PT-PT and PT-BR personal pronouns);
Mistranslations (ex.: take a look at some of the historical fails in translation on the Web);
Cultural differences (ex.: the word "desert" for the Maya people means an open field, while for the Arab people it means a dry and sandy area);
Inconsistent translations (the good use of CAT tools prevent them);
Missing context (it happens more than we can imagine);
Acronyms and abbreviations that are in a different language than the source text (something very common that translators have to deal with);
Slang, idioms and expressions (ex.: the PT-PT idiom "go comb monkeys!" doesn't mean that we necessarily have to comb those animals, instead it means "get lost!".
False friends as suggested by Lingua 5B are a very good example of translation errors too.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Simone Sep 27, 2023

Subtitling and audiovisual translation in general are a good field to find mistakes, on the one hand, it has the reputation of being very badly paid and, on the other hand, automatic subtitling is increasingly implemented without any post-editing. I recall for example ‒ though, unfortunately, I can’t remember the movies name ‒, magazine being translated in Portuguese as a periodical publication before a huge explosion was heard…

Good luck with your thesis!

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
There's missing one example: Sep 28, 2023

Answers from ChatGPT here.

Lingua 5B
Philip Lees
Sebastian Witte

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Examples Sep 29, 2023

Dubbing error in Spanish language version of Game of Thrones: Translator (apparently) couldn't understand the English sentence "she can't see us" and it was dubbed into Game of Thrones Spain episode as nonsense word "sicansíos" instead. How did no... See more
Dubbing error in Spanish language version of Game of Thrones: Translator (apparently) couldn't understand the English sentence "she can't see us" and it was dubbed into Game of Thrones Spain episode as nonsense word "sicansíos" instead. How did no one catch this?
https://codigoespagueti.com/noticias/cultura/sicansios-el-terrible-doblaje-espanol-de-game-of-thrones-que-se-volvio-viral/

Here's an example of a translator who just copied and pasted random sentences and text from an old book and used them to "translate" official government documents:
https://apnews.com/article/fema-alaskan-native-wrong-translations-707ab611f0d171ae2e34fc3f284454a7

There are also several incidents of fake sign language interpreters:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pizza-and-bear-monsters-bizzare-tales-of-fake-sign-language-interpreters/ar-AA1659Mb#image=AA1hoHXg|1

[Edited at 2023-09-29 01:52 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2023

[Edited at 2023-09-29 01:51 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2023

[Edited at 2023-09-29 01:51 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
More examples Sep 29, 2023

deco

pool

tennis

stroke

folding

dosne

taxi

cup

The Spanish translates as "The chain saw (was able to see) the sharpener
chain

Is this example, "Pouvez" is a conjugated French verb that means "you can / you are able to"
can

The maker of this dinner plate warns "It's recommended that this product be washed by hand" (i.e. not in a dishwasher). But the French translator obviously wasn't told that the translation was for a plate and translated it as "It is recommended that you wash your hands"

handwashing

problem

diving

"STOP-READ" mistranslated as "STOP READING" on Spanish sign
deje

personas

cling

gene

Apparently cooking in French takes longer
cooking

chap

play

cuchara

Translation blunder: The French & Italian read "butter to roast Swiss people" instead of "Swiss-made roasting butter"
burro

Note to non-Italian speakers: The sign actually says "This machine doesn't provide change"
resto

[Edited at 2023-09-29 02:01 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Barbara Carrara
Sebastian Witte

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Sources for translation mistakes Sep 29, 2023

I could provide a very funny leaflet, translated from Italian into German, about an ancient church in Italy.
The whole text is full of mistakes that make you laugh for a while.

Restaurant menus are another good source of funny mistakes.

The above fall under #1 of the asker's categories.

I also collect funny German compounds invented by neural machine translation engines.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concrete Examples of Translation Errors

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »