Dragon alternative? Dictation can be trained now — on M1 Macs only
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Oct 24, 2021

With keyboard dictation, you can dictate text anywhere you can type it, and the feature improves the more you use it, personalizing over time. On ‌Apple Silicon‌ Macs, keyboard dictation now protects user privacy by performing all processing on-device, meaning it's completely offline. And thanks to on-device dictation, users can also dictate text of any length without a timeout. On Intel Macs, however, there's a time limit of 60 seconds.

Only Available in Arabic (Saudi Arabia),
... See more
With keyboard dictation, you can dictate text anywhere you can type it, and the feature improves the more you use it, personalizing over time. On ‌Apple Silicon‌ Macs, keyboard dictation now protects user privacy by performing all processing on-device, meaning it's completely offline. And thanks to on-device dictation, users can also dictate text of any length without a timeout. On Intel Macs, however, there's a time limit of 60 seconds.

Only Available in Arabic (Saudi Arabia), Cantonese (Hong Kong), English (Australia, Canada, India, Singapore, UK, U.S.), French (France), German (Germany), Italian (Italy), Japanese (Japan), Korean (Korea), Mandarin Chinese (China mainland, Taiwan), Russian (Russia), Spanish (Mexico, Spain, U.S.), Turkish (Turkey), and Yue Chinese (China mainland).

Apple has unlimited financial resources, the best programmers and unlimited voice training data from Siri. So the big question will be: will Apple's Dictation finally be better than Dragon?

[Edited at 2021-10-24 12:20 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:53
French to English
+ ...
Define "better" Oct 25, 2021

I don't think there can be a single "better" voice recognition system, as the expectations of different users may differ a lot. Specifically, one can aim to please the vast majority of users, or a small but highly sophisticated minority. In the latter department, Dragon seems to be unchallenged for the time being. I already quoted here on the forums a text fragment I dictated to untrained Dragon almost 3 years ago, and it rendered it without a single error (note that it was not the medica... See more
I don't think there can be a single "better" voice recognition system, as the expectations of different users may differ a lot. Specifically, one can aim to please the vast majority of users, or a small but highly sophisticated minority. In the latter department, Dragon seems to be unchallenged for the time being. I already quoted here on the forums a text fragment I dictated to untrained Dragon almost 3 years ago, and it rendered it without a single error (note that it was not the medical version of Dragon):

Capsaicin activates the nociceptors, causing a burning sensation, an erythema and an elevated sensitivity to other stimuli. Conversely, after multiple applications these receptors are desensitised and the transmission of pain signals is suppressed. The exact mechanism of desensitisation is unknown but is assumed to be mediated by enzymatic changes in sensory terminals at high concentrations of intracellular calcium. It also has to do with a disruption of retrograde transport of neurotrophic factors (such as NGF – Neuronal Growth Factor) as one of the mechanisms for reduction of hyper-excitability and premature depletion of nociceptive terminals in the epidermis.
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
@Anton Oct 26, 2021

Anton Konashenok wrote:

I already quoted here on the forums a text fragment I dictated to untrained Dragon almost 3 years ago, and it rendered it without a single error (note that it was not the medical version of Dragon):

Very impressive result indeed. Would be interesting to see Apple's Dictation's score here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon alternative? Dictation can be trained now — on M1 Macs only

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »