Tony M
France
Local time: 00:24
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dec 27, 2009

Help!

I have created a PDF file (from a PageMaker publication) using an old version of Distiller, at which point, I couldn't find out how to apply 'read' and 'print' passwords. So I tried to do what I've always done (I think!) and 'save a copy as...' with the new settings — only I couldn't seem to find out how to do it! I can access the existing settings (= no passwords at all), but I can't seem to find where to change them and then save as a different PDF? Is this because I've us
... See more
Help!

I have created a PDF file (from a PageMaker publication) using an old version of Distiller, at which point, I couldn't find out how to apply 'read' and 'print' passwords. So I tried to do what I've always done (I think!) and 'save a copy as...' with the new settings — only I couldn't seem to find out how to do it! I can access the existing settings (= no passwords at all), but I can't seem to find where to change them and then save as a different PDF? Is this because I've used the old version of Distiller (v 3.01!) and this earlier PDF format (PDF version 1.2) didn't have such security settings?

Normally, I create my PDFs by 'printing' to primo PDF, but sadly, Pagemaker won't allow me to do this, and so I can only seem to do it via Distiller.

Any help / guidance would be gratefully received; if all else fails, could anyone please take my file and re-save it for me with corrected security settings? It's only a 2-page document, I think the PDF file size is less than ½ Meg. Or I could supply the PM original, or the PS export file, if anyone could do it from either of those?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you may be able to give!

And may I wish holiday Seasons' Greetings to all my readers!

[Edited at 2009-12-28 00:05 GMT]
Collapse

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
have you tried... Dec 29, 2009

changing the security settings of the current pdf? It should be in the Advanced>Security>Encypt with Password menu (if you want to use a password)

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks, Zoltán, but I don't seem to have those options Dec 29, 2009

the problem is, I only have the latest version of Acrobat Reader (i.e. not full Acrobat), which doesn't seem to have these options (or at least, I can't find them!)

I can view the current security settings OK, but there doesn't seem to be any way of actually accessing them to modify them.

I assume these options must only be available in full Acrobat — if they are there in my old Distiller, then I certainly can't find them. But the odd thing
... See more
the problem is, I only have the latest version of Acrobat Reader (i.e. not full Acrobat), which doesn't seem to have these options (or at least, I can't find them!)

I can view the current security settings OK, but there doesn't seem to be any way of actually accessing them to modify them.

I assume these options must only be available in full Acrobat — if they are there in my old Distiller, then I certainly can't find them. But the odd thing is, I've done this manœuvre several times before, I just can no longer remember quite how
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:24
German to English
+ ...
This shareware might be suitable Jan 7, 2010

Tony:

Perhaps consider something like this shareware product "A-PDF Password Security 1.4.7" ($27). Note: I have not used it myself; my only information is the web page where this link points:
http://www.brothersoft.com/a-pdf-password-security-159197.html

HTH
Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving a copy of PDF files with new security settings in Acro 8

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »