34+" monitor
De persoon die dit onderwerp geplaatst heeft: WolfgangS
WolfgangS
WolfgangS
France
Local time: 06:16
English to German
+ ...
Jan 28

Hi,
anybody here working with an XXL monitor, 34 inches or more?
If so, what are your impressions?
I want to get rid of my two monitors, too many cables everywhere.


 
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:16
Lid 2006
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
When Jan 28

WolfgangS wrote:
Anybody here working with an XXL monitor, 34 inches or more?

Not me, but my children do. If you do get such a monitor, get a bracket that attaches to the wall or to the desk, so that you don't have to use the monitor stand. The monitor stand for such a large monitor has to be quite large and takes up a lot of space on your desk.

If I were going to buy such a monitor, I would go for 3840x1600 (they're usually 37").

I see the cheapest 34" monitors are all 2560x1080. Is that what you're aiming for? In other words, you want a larger monitor so that every on the screen appears larger? Or do you want a larger monitor with the same dot pitch as your current monitor, so that you can fit more stuff on the screen?


 
WolfgangS
WolfgangS
France
Local time: 06:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The cheapest monitor... Jan 28

Samuel Murray wrote:

WolfgangS wrote:
Anybody here working with an XXL monitor, 34 inches or more?

Not me, but my children do. If you do get such a monitor, get a bracket that attaches to the wall or to the desk, so that you don't have to use the monitor stand. The monitor stand for such a large monitor has to be quite large and takes up a lot of space on your desk.

If I were going to buy such a monitor, I would go for 3840x1600 (they're usually 37").

I see the cheapest 34" monitors are all 2560x1080. Is that what you're aiming for? In other words, you want a larger monitor so that every on the screen appears larger? Or do you want a larger monitor with the same dot pitch as your current monitor, so that you can fit more stuff on the screen?


I found is this one LG 34WR55QK-B 34" UltraWide WQHD (3440 x 1440), currently 311 €.
I want to get rid of my dual monitor setup and fit everthing on one monitor, mainly CAT tool, terminology app, mail client, browser.
Currently, I'm working with an LG monitor, 1920x1080 and an old Apple Cinema HD Display 1929x1200 dpi.
My concern is, will the characters in my CAT tool be large enough to be readable without straining my eyes?


 
Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:16
Lid 2004
English to German
+ ...
You might wish to use a price comparison portal Jan 28

I am not familiar with this monitor and am not a huge fan of LG's design (although I believe they are technically fine), but please, by all means, use a price comparison site.

I have seen this monitor priced at 279 euros over at galaxus.fr, for example, including shipping.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/galaxus.fr<
... See more
I am not familiar with this monitor and am not a huge fan of LG's design (although I believe they are technically fine), but please, by all means, use a price comparison site.

I have seen this monitor priced at 279 euros over at galaxus.fr, for example, including shipping.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/galaxus.fr

https://www.galaxus.fr/en/s1/product/lg-34wr55qk-b-3440-x-1440-pixels-34-monitor-47484403


WolfgangS wrote: The cheapest monitor I found is this one LG 34WR55QK-B 34" UltraWide WQHD (3440 x 1440), currently 311 €.
?


[Edited at 2026-01-28 19:11 GMT]
▲ Collapse


 
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:16
Lid 2006
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dot pitch Jan 28

WolfgangS wrote:
My concern is, will the characters in my CAT tool be large enough to be readable without straining my eyes?

You have to calculate the "dot pitch" of the monitors. This is a measure of how large (physically) the pixels are. So, calculate the dot pitch of your two existing monitors, and then calculate the dot pitch of any monitor that you're thinking of buying.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/technology/ppi-calculator.php
You can also ask ChatGPT "How tall is a screen with these specifications:" to compare screens. But the screen height doesn't tell you anything about how large or small the text/icons on the screen are -- for that, you need the dot pitch.

If your Apple monitor is a 23", then the dot pitch is 0.258 (and its screen height is 31 cm). The new LG monitor's dot pitch is 0.2316 (and its screen height is 33.5 cm). The dot pitch of both screens are very similar, so the text/icons etc. should be roughly the same size on the new monitor as on your Apple monitor. (In fact, the text/icons will be 11% smaller on the new screen, but that's close enough to be the same, if you ask me.)



[Edited at 2026-01-28 22:32 GMT]


 
WolfgangS
WolfgangS
France
Local time: 06:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Samuel Jan 29

Samuel Murray wrote:

WolfgangS wrote:
My concern is, will the characters in my CAT tool be large enough to be readable without straining my eyes?

You have to calculate the "dot pitch" of the monitors. This is a measure of how large (physically) the pixels are. So, calculate the dot pitch of your two existing monitors, and then calculate the dot pitch of any monitor that you're thinking of buying.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/technology/ppi-calculator.php
You can also ask ChatGPT "How tall is a screen with these specifications:" to compare screens. But the screen height doesn't tell you anything about how large or small the text/icons on the screen are -- for that, you need the dot pitch.

If your Apple monitor is a 23", then the dot pitch is 0.258 (and its screen height is 31 cm). The new LG monitor's dot pitch is 0.2316 (and its screen height is 33.5 cm). The dot pitch of both screens are very similar, so the text/icons etc. should be roughly the same size on the new monitor as on your Apple monitor. (In fact, the text/icons will be 11% smaller on the new screen, but that's close enough to be the same, if you ask me.)



[Edited at 2026-01-28 22:32 GMT]


Helpful explanation, sounds quite reassuring (for my eyes).


 
WolfgangS
WolfgangS
France
Local time: 06:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Sebastian Jan 29

Sebastian Witte wrote:

I am not familiar with this monitor and am not a huge fan of LG's design (although I believe they are technically fine), but please, by all means, use a price comparison site.

I have seen this monitor priced at 279 euros over at galaxus.fr, for example, including shipping.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/galaxus.fr

https://www.galaxus.fr/en/s1/product/lg-34wr55qk-b-3440-x-1440-pixels-34-monitor-47484403


WolfgangS wrote: The cheapest monitor I found is this one LG 34WR55QK-B 34" UltraWide WQHD (3440 x 1440), currently 311 €.
?


[Edited at 2026-01-28 19:11 GMT]


I have never heard of galaxus.fr, wil have a look.


 
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:16
Italian to English
Ouch Jan 29

WolfgangS wrote:

Hi,
anybody here working with an XXL monitor, 34 inches or more?
If so, what are your impressions?
I want to get rid of my two monitors, too many cables everywhere.


I get a neck pain just thinking about what this must be like. Worse than being at Wimbledon.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/video/men-and-women-turning-heads-back-and-forth-during-stock-video-footage/1117-30


Joop Debrabandere
 
WolfgangS
WolfgangS
France
Local time: 06:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
LOL Jan 29

Tom in London wrote:

WolfgangS wrote:

Hi,
anybody here working with an XXL monitor, 34 inches or more?
If so, what are your impressions?
I want to get rid of my two monitors, too many cables everywhere.


I get a neck pain just thinking about what this must be like. Worse than being at Wimbledon.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/video/men-and-women-turning-heads-back-and-forth-during-stock-video-footage/1117-30


Not wrong, but it all depends on the distance between your eyes and the monitor, IMHO.
And I do not intend to watch tennis on such a monitor anyway.


 
PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:16
Polish to English
+ ...
All apps on deck Feb 3

"...fit everthing on one monitor, mainly CAT tool, terminology app, mail client, browser."

Not wanting to criticize the organization of your workspace, but do you really need to have your mail client visible all the time? And your browser?
I use my work laptop screen for my email (and for the browser, for that matter). If I need to get the big picture, I just drag a tab to the monitor.
I have a 27 inch monitor (3840 x 2160) with 150% magnification (as recommended by the
... See more
"...fit everthing on one monitor, mainly CAT tool, terminology app, mail client, browser."

Not wanting to criticize the organization of your workspace, but do you really need to have your mail client visible all the time? And your browser?
I use my work laptop screen for my email (and for the browser, for that matter). If I need to get the big picture, I just drag a tab to the monitor.
I have a 27 inch monitor (3840 x 2160) with 150% magnification (as recommended by the display settings), my eyes are ca. 50 cm from it and I see everything clearly (wearing reading glasses that is, but I need to wear them anyway). In terms of screen area it's plenty enough.

Also, in my experience, it is not a good idea to get the cheapest monitor (or cheapest anything for that matter...). We spend enough time in front of them to warrant getting something a bit better and easier on the eyes.

[Edited at 2026-02-03 09:29 GMT]
▲ Collapse


 
WolfgangS
WolfgangS
France
Local time: 06:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Setups may differ Feb 3

PAS wrote:

"...fit everthing on one monitor, mainly CAT tool, terminology app, mail client, browser."

Not wanting to criticize the organization of your workspace, but do you really need to have your mail client visible all the time? And your browser?
I use my work laptop screen for my email (and for the browser, for that matter). If I need to get the big picture, I just drag a tab to the monitor.
I have a 27 inch monitor (3840 x 2160) with 150% magnification (as recommended by the display settings), my eyes are ca. 50 cm from it and I see everything clearly (wearing reading glasses that is, but I need to wear them anyway). In terms of screen area it's plenty enough.

Also, in my experience, it is not a good idea to get the cheapest monitor (or cheapest anything for that matter...). We spend enough time in front of them to warrant getting something a bit better and easier on the eyes.

[Edited at 2026-02-03 09:18 GMT]


To answer your first two questions: yes, I always had my mail client and browser on a second screen, open, always. That's the way it works for me. For the rest, we shall see.


 
PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:16
Polish to English
+ ...
All apps on deck ctd. Feb 3

OK, I understand
Maybe try borrowing a 27" monitor from somewhere to test drive it for a few days - maybe it would be enough.


 
WolfgangS
WolfgangS
France
Local time: 06:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your tip Feb 3

PAS wrote:

OK, I understand
Maybe try borrowing a 27" monitor from somewhere to test drive it for a few days - maybe it would be enough.


But I have been using Apple iMac 27" monitors since 1998. Apple does not offer 27" monitors for their Silicon iMacs anymore or they are so expensive that I can't/don't want to afford them.
So I have been working with a Mac Mini M4 and two monitors, LG and an old Apple Cinema monitor, both 24", for about a year now, but I don't love this setup, too much "Kabelsalat" on my desk and the Cinema Display does not work very well. And I need to connect a third display as well in my recording booth, for video/audio sync. So I decided to try one of these very large monitors on my desk, keeping only the other monitor in my booth.


 
Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus
Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:16
Dutch to Spanish
42" Feb 18

I use a 42" Philips Evnia 4K monitor with great satisfaction, connected to 2 PC's. Last decade I've had some 32"s. I just upped the eye-distance a bit accordingly. It's good to move your eyes, neck, a bit. For us translators, 32" is the bare minimum for multiwindow workspaces.

 
WolfgangS
WolfgangS
France
Local time: 06:16
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Feb 19

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus wrote:

I use a 42" Philips Evnia 4K monitor with great satisfaction, connected to 2 PC's. Last decade I've had some 32"s. I just upped the eye-distance a bit accordingly. It's good to move your eyes, neck, a bit. For us translators, 32" is the bare minimum for multiwindow workspaces.


AAMOF, I bought a 34" LG ultrawide monitor, and am very happy with it. I don't have to move my neck too much, but I have not checked with a tennis match, so far.
I use the possibility of having several desktops extensively, and thanks to my trackpad/Magic mouse it's easy to switch between them.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

34+" monitor






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »