Simay Toy
Simay Toy
Türkiye
Local time: 05:50
French to English
+ ...
Jan 17, 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm currently started to translate a book from french to turkish. I wanted to ask for advice like if is there any software you're using or any recommandations for literary translations.

Thank you, have a nice day

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Any CAT would do Jan 18, 2023

I translated a few books using Trados, but any CAT tool would do. They give you a nice overview of the material and the term base functions will come handy if you need to keep track of some specific terminology or names. I highly recommend using one.

If you have the time, read ahead before you translate.
After you translate a part, read it again after a while to see if there is anything that sounds off.
Enjoy the process.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:50
German to Swedish
+ ...
Any word processor + no fancy tools Jan 18, 2023

Don't use CAT if this is a literary work.
You might even consider writing drafts with a pencil.

An online thesaurus is helpful if you're pressed for time, otherwise I'd skip that.

bookerb

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
CAT is helpful Jan 19, 2023

You can use SmartCAT, which is free. I'm using it for a personal project of book translation. Don't listen to the anit-CAT luddites. They would be writing 'drafts' with feathers if they had enough ink and spill-proof inkpots. CAT is helpful, e.g. you can always search for a word and compare quickly how you translated it in different contexts, for consistency or, on the contrary, to use the correct alternative for the specific context.

Kevin Fulton
Jorge Payan

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Feathers Jan 19, 2023

Evgeny Sidorenko wrote:

They would be writing 'drafts' with feathers if they had enough ink and spill-proof inkpots.

Quills.

bookerb

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Simay Jan 19, 2023

If you do consider using a CAT tool, try paragraph segmentation instead of sentence segmentation. This is very easy with e.g. OmegaT, which is a free CAT tool. However, I recommend you use the program for a few regular test translations, so that you know how the program works, before committing days and days' worth of work to it.

Kay Denney
Simay Toy

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jan 19, 2023

Evgeny Sidorenko wrote:

You can use SmartCAT, which is free. I'm using it for a personal project of book translation. Don't listen to the anit-CAT luddites. They would be writing 'drafts' with feathers if they had enough ink and spill-proof inkpots. CAT is helpful, e.g. you can always search for a word and compare quickly how you translated it in different contexts, for consistency or, on the contrary, to use the correct alternative for the specific context.

I just recently upgraded to the latest version of Word, and you can search for a word and have all instances of where it has been used listed. OK you'd have to have both source and target on the screen, but I usually do anyway.

I am no Luddite, having used several different CAT tools when appropriate for many years. It's great for software manuals, but not for the type of text I work on. I don't translate literature, but I do translate content that leans creative, and the problem with CATs is that they tend to hamper creative flair.
For example, you might want to rearrange the order of ideas, you might need to make shorter or longer sentences (I don't know which might apply in your language pair, in English I'm always cutting three-liner sentences in my source text into at least two if not three sentences, and sometimes tacking a bit from the middle of one sentence onto the end of the next one). While you can sometimes split and join segments, it can be tedious, with the result that you often end up just translating each segment like it stands completely on its own.
You might like to do a first draft in a CAT tool, which would ensure that you don't leave anything out, but then you'll need to do some extensive editing once you've exported it, to the point that the TM is not going to be much help at all.

Simay Toy

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
I vaguely suspect the OP wants to explore non-CAT software choices as well Jan 19, 2023

Like a super-capable literary MT engine to double your work speed or something. I can't recommend any because I'm a Luddite, but I'd like to read an anti-Luddite discussion evolving along this avenue (or a rant on how the rest of us Luddites don't know the first thing about using MT). Maybe my suspicion is wrong, but this post is not serious either

Simay Toy
Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
What kind of book is it? Jan 19, 2023

Simay Toy wrote:

I wanted to ask for advice like if is there any software you're using or any recommandations for literary translations.

It all depends on what you call "literary translation". If it's a novel or a fiction, forget all the translation tools: you are the other "author". All you need is a word processor.

Now what kind of book is it?

For a technical book or similar, it may indeed be interesting to use a translation aid: MemoQ, Trados Studio, Wordfast, CafeTran, OmegaT (free). See if the possible cost of such a tool is justified.

Godd luck!

Christopher Schröder
Adieu
Philip Lees

Simay Toy
Simay Toy
Türkiye
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The book titled La Sorcière by Jules Michelet. Historical work within a literary tone Jan 19, 2023

I'm translating french to turkish. I just wonder what technic the other people using in this site. Personally i'm not a big fan of using cat tools for literary works. Because of my last job i sorta feel pressed to translate faster, so deep down i'm quiet bitter about scolding for being slow and now i'm cutting my daily trauma throw here.

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Simay Toy wrote:

I wanted to ask for advice like if is there any software you're using or any recommandations for literary translations.

It all depends on what you call "literary translation". If it's a novel or a fiction, forget all the translation tools: you are the other "author". All you need is a word processor.

Now what kind of book is it?

For a technical book or similar, it may indeed be interesting to use a translation aid: MemoQ, Trados Studio, Wordfast, CafeTran, OmegaT (free). See if the possible cost of such a tool is justified.

Godd luck!

Simay Toy
Simay Toy
Türkiye
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well Sir your suspicion was correct Jan 19, 2023

Like you mentionned, there is lots of lots of tools but to me these tools are still not capable of giving the true essence of a literary work.
That's why i was curious about what other's thinks or what they do. Hence i would not consider myself as a luddite but i can say that i would like to live in a more analogue or manual world. For now use one tool for seeing other options but in the end i use my own translation most of the times especially if i'm translating to turkish.

Denis Fesik wrote:

Like a super-capable literary MT engine to double your work speed or something. I can't recommend any because I'm a Luddite, but I'd like to read an anti-Luddite discussion evolving along this avenue (or a rant on how the rest of us Luddites don't know the first thing about using MT). Maybe my suspicion is wrong, but this post is not serious either

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
A considerable work that goes beyond the scope of a tool! Jan 19, 2023

La sorcière !!!

If I take a small random extract from the text, I can see the enormous difficulty of such an undertaking... No translation tool can cope with such a complexity.

L’illuminisme de la folie lucide, qui, selon ses degrés, est poésie, seconde vue, pénétration perçante, la parole naïve et rusée, la faculté surtout de se croire en tous ses mensonges. Don ignoré du sorcier mâle. Avec lui, rien n’eût commencé.

Oui, i
... See more
La sorcière !!!

If I take a small random extract from the text, I can see the enormous difficulty of such an undertaking... No translation tool can cope with such a complexity.

L’illuminisme de la folie lucide, qui, selon ses degrés, est poésie, seconde vue, pénétration perçante, la parole naïve et rusée, la faculté surtout de se croire en tous ses mensonges. Don ignoré du sorcier mâle. Avec lui, rien n’eût commencé.

Oui, il faut prendre le temps et s'imprégner d'une écriture qui n'est plus tout à fait celle d'aujourd'hui...

Bon courage et bravo pour relever un tel défi !
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Simay Toy
Simay Toy
Türkiye
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I certainly agree with you Jan 19, 2023

Monsieur, merci de votre appréciation à cet œuvre. Oui c'est pas facile à comprendre et ceci sera difficulte pour traduire mais comme vous avez dit, on doit relever les œuvres uniquement rédigés tel La Sorcière. Je vous encore remercie pour me donner le courage.

Adrien Esparron wrote:

La sorcière !!!

Oui, il faut prendre le temps et s'imprégner d'une écriture qui n'est plus tout à fait celle d'aujourd'hui...

Bon courage et bravo pour relever un tel défi !

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
A machine translation of the e-book Jan 22, 2023

I downloaded eight free versions of EPUB with a titel "La Sorciere".
Some EPUB was in English, some was wrong scanned, some consist of more than 400 small files.
--
You can download the files:

24-La Sorciere - Jules Michelet_fr.epub 317 934 21.01.2023 10:45
24-La Sorciere - Jules Michelet_cs.epub 309 059 21.01.2023 12:39
24-La Sorciere - Jules Michelet
... See more
Some EPUB was in English, some was wrong scanned, some consist of more than 400 small files.
--

24-La Sorciere - Jules Michelet_tr.epub 285 870 21.01.2023 12:56

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/en/00.html

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/file/24-La Sorciere - Jules Michelet_fr.epub

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/file/24-La Sorciere - Jules Michelet_cs.epub

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/file/24-La Sorciere - Jules Michelet_tr.epub
--
LINKS UPDATE:

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/file/24-La_Sorciere-Jules_Michelet_fr.epub

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/file/24-La_Sorciere-Jules_Michelet_cs.epub

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/file/24-La_Sorciere-Jules_Michelet_tr.epub

--

To read an EPUB file, you need a reader, software for Windows (I use SumatraPDF) or a browser plugin.
Happy Reading,

Milan

[Edited at 2023-01-22 09:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-22 09:39 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Simay Toy
Simay Toy
Türkiye
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 22, 2023

Thank you for this free resources. You're appreciated.

Milan Condak wrote:

--

24-La Sorciere - Jules Michelet_tr.epub 285 870 21.01.2023 12:56

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/en/00.html

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/file/24-La Sorciere - Jules Michelet_fr.epub

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/file/24-La Sorciere - Jules Michelet_cs.epub

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/file/24-La Sorciere - Jules Michelet_tr.epub
--
LINKS UPDATE:

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/file/24-La_Sorciere-Jules_Michelet_fr.epub

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/file/24-La_Sorciere-Jules_Michelet_cs.epub

https://www.condak.cz/nove/2023-01/21/file/24-La_Sorciere-Jules_Michelet_tr.epub

--

To read an EPUB file, you need a reader, software for Windows (I use SumatraPDF) or a browser plugin.
Happy Reading,

Milan

[Edited at 2023-01-22 09:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-22 09:39 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just a newbie curious about the art of translation for literary works

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »