possibility of 'write-protecting' text in Word 2003
Tópico cartaz: Jonathan MacKerron
Jonathan MacKerron
Jonathan MacKerron  Identity Verified
alemão para inglês
+ ...
Apr 20, 2009

Hi All,
I have the German version of Word 2002, and would like to know if it is possible to "write-protect" parts of a Word file. I have a large text file, parts of which will be reviewed by different people. My aim is to write-protect these different parts as they come available, so as to avoid any inadvertent changes when working in other parts of the text.
Many thanks,
Jonathan

[Edited at 2009-04-20 10:25 GMT]

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Local time: 00:27
inglês para alemão
PDF Apr 20, 2009

No, you cannot write-protect parts of a Word document as far as I'm aware.

You could either turn "Track Changes" on so that at least you can easily spot changes in off-limits parts of the text, or you could send the reviewer only the editable part as Word doc, together with a PDF of the full text for reference.

Endre

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 18:27
alemão para inglês
Highlight non-editable text Apr 20, 2009

Highlighting text that shouldn't be touched might be a step toward preventing accidental tampering.

Hidetoshi kudo
Hidetoshi kudo  Identity Verified
Austrália
Local time: 08:27
Membro (2007)
inglês para japonês
+ ...
Tool > Protect Document Apr 20, 2009

This might help you. At least MSword 2003 has this function. I have never used it though...

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Local time: 00:27
Membro (2006)
inglês para hebraico
+ ...
You can protect selected sections Apr 20, 2009

Like Hidetoshi Kudo wrote, use Tools -> Protect Document. I have Word 2003, but it should be similar to 2002.

First, insert a section break (can be continuous) before and after the parts you want to protect. Then, click Tools -> Protect Document.

In the Protect Document pane that opens, under "Editing restrictions" select "Filling in forms" from the dropdown list. A "Select sections..." option will appear. Click it and select the secti
... See more
Like Hidetoshi Kudo wrote, use Tools -> Protect Document. I have Word 2003, but it should be similar to 2002.

First, insert a section break (can be continuous) before and after the parts you want to protect. Then, click Tools -> Protect Document.

In the Protect Document pane that opens, under "Editing restrictions" select "Filling in forms" from the dropdown list. A "Select sections..." option will appear. Click it and select the sections you want to protect.

Finally, click "Yes, start enforcing protection".

[Edited at 2009-04-20 14:19 GMT]
Collapse

Jonathan MacKerron
Jonathan MacKerron  Identity Verified
alemão para inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Thanks for all your suggestions! Apr 21, 2009

I'll give them a try and report back on which ones work for me

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

possibility of 'write-protecting' text in Word 2003

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »