Elena Huffman
Elena Huffman
United States
Local time: 09:29
Member (2009)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 14, 2009

I have recently finished a translation in pdf format, but it had images of newspaper articles in it. Now it`s time to count and I can`t figure out how to do it othe then count it word by word!!!! Any suggestions, please?

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 08:29
English to Spanish
No way... Jun 15, 2009

...unless you do an OCR scanning.

Otherwise, why don't you just charge the target word count?

trebla
trebla
Canada
Local time: 10:29
French to English
Counting words in PDF Jun 15, 2009

I have a pdf converter that converts pdf files to Word. It's called PDF Converter Asssistant. It's sold by Nuance. I believe it cost me about $50 US.

You could buy that program, or if you wish, you could send me the original file and I'll count the words for you (no charge) assuming the original pdf document is reasonably clean.

I can break the count down into text boxes, footnotes etc.

I'm a ProZCom member (look up "trebla").

Regards.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
Images Jun 15, 2009

Elena Huffman wrote:

I have recently finished a translation in pdf format, but it had images of newspaper articles in it. Now it`s time to count and I can`t figure out how to do it othe then count it word by word!!!! Any suggestions, please?

If the document contains images, I suggest you to use your own MS Office tool, "Microsoft Office Document Imaging".

This way (click on the link below):

Document Imaging

Though it is in Spanish, you'll find it very graphical.

[Edited at 2009-06-15 09:15 GMT]

Elena Huffman
Elena Huffman
United States
Member (2009)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
counting PDF words Jun 15, 2009

Tadzio,Thank you so much for your advice,
unfortunately my laptop doesn`t have the microsoft office tool you suggested:( So, two more questions: 1. What`s an OCR scanning. 2. how much should I charge for a target word count?

M. Singh
M. Singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:59
Member (2009)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Counting words in a PDF file Jun 15, 2009

Hi Elena

i suggest you to visit http://www.verypdf.com/pdf2word/index.html and download free PDF to MS Word converter.You can use it for 100 different times for upto five pages.I use it quite often and find it useful.

[Edited at 2009-06-15 03:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-15 03:39 GMT]

Lectorcito
Lectorcito  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:29
English to Spanish
Practicount Jun 15, 2009

Hello there!

Yet another alternative: Practicount counts words in several formats (PDF is one of them) and easily creates invoices with that information. You can download a demo version here:

http://www.practiline.com/download.htm

Good luck!

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:29
English to Portuguese
Has anyone been paying attention? Jun 15, 2009

Elena Huffman wrote:

PDF -> Word converters or word counters won't help at all in this scenario. Like Tadzio mentioned, you would need an OCR tool for that. The most popular one seems to be ABBY FineReader.

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:29
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
How much to charge for target word count Jun 15, 2009

Take several documents you translated in the past and count the number of words in the source and target documents.

Than you can calculate the ratio between the number of words in the source and target languages.

Use this ratio to estimate the number of words in the original document.

HTH

Yossi

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:29
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Old school tip Jun 15, 2009

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

Otherwise, why don't you just charge the target word count?

Clearly the way to go

There's always the old fashioned pre-tech method that students the world over have long used on essays and the like.

Count 10 lines and divide by ten, then multiply this by the number of lines.

Margin of error supposed to be within 10%, I've used this a couple of times when I've had jobs sent by fax to give a rough idea to the client, I seem to remember they comfortable fell within said margin.

Then I charged the target word count

[Edited at 2009-06-15 07:55 GMT]

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
OCR or 10% less (or more) Jun 15, 2009

Elena Huffman wrote:

Tadzio,Thank you so much for your advice, unfortunately my laptop doesn`t have the microsoft office tool you suggested So, two more questions: 1. What`s an OCR scanning. 2. How much should I charge for a target word count?

1. Optical character recognition (OCR) is a method by which printed characters can be 'read' by a computer; a light-sensitive machine converts the print into electrical impulses which can be stored in machine readable form.

Ex.: 500 books in English, German, French and Italian are scanned into images and OCR-ed to digital text.

2. 10% less your regular rate if your target language is longer than the source. And viceversa.

Elena Huffman
Elena Huffman
United States
Member (2009)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you and will let you all know if it works:) Jun 15, 2009

Thank you, everyone!!!Soooo many great ideas that I didn`t know about beforehand and definitely thank you for the OCR which a computer geek in Russia that I used to hand out with a long time ago, said it would work!!! It`s the first time I have asked for help on the forum and you all have been a great help!
Will post if it worked and definitely will be back if it doesn`t:)
Thanks, one more time and have a great day (night, evening:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

counting words in PDF

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »