Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:49
Membro (2007)
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
Jul 7, 2009

Hi All,

I've finally finished translating a 300-page technical document and the final sticking point (there always is a final sticking point, isn't there?) is the outline numbering and table of contents.

I translated the doc with Wordfast, and after cleaning, the number "4" is missing from one of the section heading...and so underneath of the heading, the subheadings just keep on using "3" in the outline numbers.

It should go ...

... See more
Hi All,

I've finally finished translating a 300-page technical document and the final sticking point (there always is a final sticking point, isn't there?) is the outline numbering and table of contents.

I translated the doc with Wordfast, and after cleaning, the number "4" is missing from one of the section heading...and so underneath of the heading, the subheadings just keep on using "3" in the outline numbers.

It should go ...

but instead, it goes...

etc.

I tried adding a "4" to the section heading using Format, Numbering and Outlines (my program is in Spanish, so I'm not too sure about what they're called in English), and I do manage to get the "4" in, and I can change 3.11 to 4.1, but then when I try to change 3.12 to 4.2, the 4.1 changes into 4.2.

I've done it over and over and nothing works.

Please help, I don't know what else to try.
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Polonia
Local time: 16:49
Membro (2009)
Da Inglese a Polacco
+ ...
Change the outline level Jul 7, 2009

Where you get 3.11 instead of 4, you should probably change the level in the Outline view to a higher one (1, I guess), and then continue accordingly.
HTH

Ian Forbes
Ian Forbes  Identity Verified
Nuova Zelanda
Local time: 02:49
Membro (2007)
Da Indonesiano a Inglese
+ ...
Try the customize button Jul 7, 2009

You may have already tried it but if not block the section you want to change, go to Format, Bullets and Numbering, choose Outline Numbered, click on the style of list you are using and then hit the Customize button. In the English program it is above the OK and Cancel buttons. You can change a lot from there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't get outline numbering to work in Word 2003

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »