dgonneau  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:06
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that's the answer ! Jul 10, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:
I am currently using Word 2007, but the same options are available in earlier versions.
Go to the Page layout tab and open up the Page Setup window (click on the bottom right corner of the Page Setup area). On the Margins Page, you will find "Multiple Pages" in the middle. Choose "Book fold". Voila!
Katalin

Damn ! That's what I have to tell to the client !
In fact I used that option in word and created a PDF with distiller !

I just have to tell the customer that when he edits the file, the pages are in "normal" order and when he prints it'll be as a booklet.

Well... I hope it'll be enough for him

dgonneau
dgonneau  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just like word ? Jul 10, 2009

Marko Oreškovič wrote:

The pages are always edited in the consecutive order (1, 2, 3), just like in Word. After you have finished your layout, you instruct the program to print the booklet for you to a printer or to a PDF file with correct impositions. This means that pages 5 and 16, 6 and 15 etc. are put together automatically, and this is done completely outside the editing process, as it should be.

Well ... just like in word then ? with the layout option of booklet that is handled by word, it's possible to edit the text then print as booklet

Marko Oreškovič
Marko Oreškovič  Identity Verified
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Katalin solved your problem Jul 10, 2009

Great tip, didn't know Word had this function, too!

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:06
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Just to add Jul 10, 2009

Though I do not find client's demand for layouted booklet reasonable (DTP is separate job from translation altogether), but to keep our clients happy we sometimes (if possible without much ado) do deliver translations both in Word and PDF very much alike the source PDF.

The soft for this is Solid Converter PDF. Not always, but mostly it does fantastic job of converting (only genuine, not scanned) PDFs into exactly the same Words. E.g., you process some two page tourist booklet and g
... See more
Though I do not find client's demand for layouted booklet reasonable (DTP is separate job from translation altogether), but to keep our clients happy we sometimes (if possible without much ado) do deliver translations both in Word and PDF very much alike the source PDF.

The soft for this is Solid Converter PDF. Not always, but mostly it does fantastic job of converting (only genuine, not scanned) PDFs into exactly the same Words. E.g., you process some two page tourist booklet and get exactly the same in Word- with all the palms, sea, separate frames picturing the hotel, swimming pool and restaurant hall in the background of the editable text. After translation we print it to PDF either with Acrobat or PDF24 and send the client both Word and PDF at no extra charge. Actually it takes no extra manual effort, but makes clients very happy and they do return again and again.

Uldis
Collapse

Sari Gonneau
Sari Gonneau  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:06
English to Indonesian
+ ...
in fact it's not that easy ... Jul 10, 2009

david gonneau wrote:
Damn ! That's what I have to tell to the client !
In fact I used that option in word and created a PDF with distiller !

I spoke too fast... I remember now that I tried this option but it didn't work.
The word document is too much complicate and the layout is just broken, nothing is resized like it should ... I have to change document size and margins ... but maybe first I'll need to make the document free of all the section jumps ...

(the old result pdf was made with a pdf printer, setting 2 pages per fold, and setting manually the order of the pages as the booklet function would have done ....)

[replied with account of the missus]

[Edited at 2009-07-10 22:36 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stubborn client wants a word that looks like a booklet print

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »