Livia Pacini (X)
Livia Pacini (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:42
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 11, 2011

Hello all,

I have just been assigned a Quality Checking job, but honestly it is the first time that I receive such request. I have done lot's of editing in the past, but no quality checking.

Can you tell me what's the purpose of this check? What should I look for and what should I focus on?

Thank you in advance!

Livia

David Turnbull
David Turnbull
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:42
Italian to English
Ask the client Jan 11, 2011

Hi Livia,

Just to be sure I would ask the client exactly what they are expecting, but I would guess it is their term for a standard reviewing/editing job.

Definitely would check before going ahead though!

David

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
QC can mean anything Jan 11, 2011

Livia Pacini wrote:
I have just been assigned a Quality Checking job, but honestly it is the first time that I receive such request. ... Can you tell me what's the purpose of this check?

It could be anything. "QA" or "QC" is used by clients to mean a variety of things, from proofreading to reviewing to editing to double-checking to whatnot. Ask the client specifically what he wants you to do.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:42
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I do "quality evaluations" Jan 11, 2011

Hello Livia,

Firstly, I agree with David that you just have to agree with the client exactly what they mean. Personally, I see that as an essential precursor to any editing/proofreading/revising/... job.

All I can do here is tell you what my regular "quality evaluation" job with a Polish agency entails. They see it as the final check before delivery to the end-client, imposed by the quality standard (can't remember the number offhand).

They send me texts th
... See more
Hello Livia,

Firstly, I agree with David that you just have to agree with the client exactly what they mean. Personally, I see that as an essential precursor to any editing/proofreading/revising/... job.

All I can do here is tell you what my regular "quality evaluation" job with a Polish agency entails. They see it as the final check before delivery to the end-client, imposed by the quality standard (can't remember the number offhand).

They send me texts that have been translated and are supposed to have been proofread - however that is clearly not always the case. They also send the source text but that's not much use to me as it's normally in Polish and I can't make head nor tail of it. I do the normal monolingual checking, using the Word "track changes" tool. Assuming there are only small errors, I mark them, then complete an evaluation (short) of the overall quality and any query areas.

Where it differs from other, similar jobs I've done is that if it's clearly useless and needs to be retranslated or at least edited by someone who understands the source text, then I just make enough comments and changes to demonstrate this clearly - then send it back.

I'm paid on a per-word rate, not per hour but that works fine for this particular job as I can always just stop it if it's really taking too long. On the other hand, quite a few of the texts only call for a read through and a return marked "perfect!".

HTH. Sheila
Collapse

Livia Pacini (X)
Livia Pacini (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Jan 11, 2011

Thank you all for your kind advice. Especially Sheila was very helpful!

I will keep in mind all of your suggestions!

Livia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quality checking, what is it in detail?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »