Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
New platinum member self-introductions
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 01:23
SITE FOUNDER
Nov 18, 2005

New members are invited to introduce themselves here. Please tell us briefly about your professional expertise, your reason for membership and something you do outside of translation. Let's get to know each other a bit.

Looks like we'll be starting with Argentina thanks to the recent powwow...

Sabrina Ciserchia
Sabrina Ciserchia  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let's start then... Nov 18, 2005

Well, I'll start by introducing myself then

I'm a new Platinum member from Argentina, and I've taken the opportunity to become so at the last powwow in Buenos Aires (which was great, and where I had the opportunity to meet your brother Patrick, Henry!)
My pairs are English-Spanish-English, and I mainly translate and proofread medical, technical, scientific and general texts.

Let me tell you that I'm
... See more
Well, I'll start by introducing myself then

I'm a new Platinum member from Argentina, and I've taken the opportunity to become so at the last powwow in Buenos Aires (which was great, and where I had the opportunity to meet your brother Patrick, Henry!)
My pairs are English-Spanish-English, and I mainly translate and proofread medical, technical, scientific and general texts.

Let me tell you that I'm really so happy to be part of this community, and I usually wish I had more time to browse the whole site and use all the sections. This is a really excelent site, thanks to you all!

Regards,

Sabrina
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Welcome, Sabrina Nov 18, 2005

Nice to meet you. Thanks for breaking the ice!

Victoria Innocenti
Victoria Innocenti  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Hi, everybody! Nov 18, 2005

I also became Platinum member during last powwow in BA. A wonderful event indeed!

I joined proz.com one year ago, but becoming Platinum has made me feel really identified with the whole proz.com world. I hope to learn how to make the best of this membership as soon as possible and be helpful whenever possible.

Like Sabrina, I work in the English>Spanish pair. I am from Buenos Aires, although I feel a "world citizen" when I contact you through this far-reaching website.<
... See more
I also became Platinum member during last powwow in BA. A wonderful event indeed!

I joined proz.com one year ago, but becoming Platinum has made me feel really identified with the whole proz.com world. I hope to learn how to make the best of this membership as soon as possible and be helpful whenever possible.

Like Sabrina, I work in the English>Spanish pair. I am from Buenos Aires, although I feel a "world citizen" when I contact you through this far-reaching website.

All my best
Victoria
Collapse

Cecilia Benitez
Cecilia Benitez  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Renewed Plat memeber! Nov 18, 2005

Hi Henry,

Just to say hello, because we've met in the first powwow in Argentina at the Tortoni's. Many things happened since then and now we are all proud of belonging to such a large and ecclectic prozian community!

Best for you,

Cecilia

Victoria Innocenti
Victoria Innocenti  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Thank you, Henry, for this opportunity Nov 18, 2005

Thanks for your welcome!
Victoria

Henry wrote:

New members are invited to introduce themselves here.

Roxana Cortijo
Roxana Cortijo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just a few words Nov 18, 2005

Hi! I'm Roxana and I'm an inhouse translator and interpreter at a power company in Argentina.

I have recently decided to start working as freelancer, that's why I upgraded to Platinum in the last powwow in Buenos Aires (thanks Henry for the grrrreat discount you offered us!).

I've been a member of the ProZ community for 3 years but never thanked Henry and the staff for all the good things I've found here. So, here I go: THANK YOU ALL, YOU ARE WONDERFUL!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Hello, all! Nov 18, 2005

Hi everyone and welcome!

To suggest a format for additional introductions: please tell us briefly about your professional expertise, your reason for membership and something you do outside of translation. My concept is that we get to know each other a bit...

Graciela Guzman
Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Henry! Nov 18, 2005

I also wanted to profit from your generous offer and I'm a Platinum member now.
Maybe you don't remember me, because we were quite a number, but we've met in the first powwow. This one was terrific too.
I'd like you to know that I used your guide to improve my profile and it's working!
Hope to see you next year at the Annual Conference.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Welcome, BA! Nov 18, 2005

Great to see so many of you joined under the powwow offer... and nice to see some faces from previous powwows.

Do we have any new platinum members who are not from a BA powwow?

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi there! Nov 18, 2005

Hi Henry, hi all,

My name is Jerónimo Fernández, I'm Spanish and I've been living in Buenos Aires since July 2005. I translate mainly from English into Spanish (my other combinations are sort of rusty now, but I'm working on them).

I graduated in Translation and Interpreting at the University of Granada (Spain) in 2002. During uni I had a 6-month placement (internship) at a local translation and localization company, where I learned a lot about the practice of transla
... See more
Hi Henry, hi all,

My name is Jerónimo Fernández, I'm Spanish and I've been living in Buenos Aires since July 2005. I translate mainly from English into Spanish (my other combinations are sort of rusty now, but I'm working on them).

I graduated in Translation and Interpreting at the University of Granada (Spain) in 2002. During uni I had a 6-month placement (internship) at a local translation and localization company, where I learned a lot about the practice of translation.

After graduating I moved to Cardiff (UK), where I worked in-house for three years in the translation department of an international organization. At the same time I occassionally accepted freelance work.

While in a conference in Mexico, I met my girlfriend (Argentinean) who is the reason why I've relocated to this side of the world (I found out at the Powwow that mine is not such an unusual case, but let's not get into that here).

Currently I'm a full-time freelancer, but I'm looking for an in-house job here to get my residence permit sorted more easily.

I joined Proz as a non-platinum while in the UK. Then, when I became a freelancer I was going to upgrade to platinum anyway, but the offer made the decision pretty much a no-brainer. (Vey much appreciated, Henry!).

Outside translation, I enjoy literature, music, basketball, judo (black belt here, but out of shape) and traveling.

The Nov 12th Powwow in Buenos Aires was my very first one, and it was terrific. Looking forward to see you guys in the next one.

Jerónimo

[Edited at 2005-11-18 18:13]
Collapse

Silvina Matheu
Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another one from Argentina Nov 18, 2005

Henry wrote:
Do we have any new platinum members who are not from a BA powwow?

Sorry, Henry, but I'm also from Argentina. I joined Proz last year and as I started getting jobs a few months later, this year I decided it was fair to return something to Proz. So I started paying my membership in May and now I have renewed it in the last BA powwow.
My specialization fields are Law and Medicine for a living... and arts, history, journalism for love.
Congratulations for having created a site and a community like this one for us; it's useful and enjoyable at a time.
Thank you!!
Silvina

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:23
Italian to English
+ ...
Hi guys and gals. Nov 18, 2005

Lil ol me joined last month. I’m pretty sure you invited me to join years ago Henry, but after checking the site out and seeing a few jobs posted for peanuts I thought, “what a buncha monkeys” and went back to work.

Years later in October I wander back in to see if anyone’s found out how to make their marriage work, the marriage of the Trados toolbar and its Word counterpart that is, and I found some very helpful people in the know, thanks. Apparently no miracle cures for br
... See more
Lil ol me joined last month. I’m pretty sure you invited me to join years ago Henry, but after checking the site out and seeing a few jobs posted for peanuts I thought, “what a buncha monkeys” and went back to work.

Years later in October I wander back in to see if anyone’s found out how to make their marriage work, the marriage of the Trados toolbar and its Word counterpart that is, and I found some very helpful people in the know, thanks. Apparently no miracle cures for broken marriages or toolbars though.

I also found that in the meantime Prozetans had evolved and were getting paid twice as much (almost) as this Scot’s chump. Now, that was a bit of a shock. In fact I sort of just sat there staring at the screen for about, a couple of weeks actually. I kid you not.

So after slapping myself around the head until I was dizzy, I spent a lot of time cruising the forums reading up on insider knowledge and sector secrets, checking out BB, and trying to find my feet again. I’m still a bit wobbly, but it’s starting to feel good, bit like the day after a hangover.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who’s helped me out so far, people I’ve rubbed shoulders with in kudos sessions, and most of all to you Henry for having me “again”. Who gave you my e-mail btw?
Never mind, whoever it was, thanks to them too.
You know, ignorance may be bliss, but information is pure gold, or platinum, whatever.
Have a great weekend people.
“Shell-shocked” Jo (Mac)

PS: I’ve been working as a full-time pro for 5 years. I love my job, my family, writing, and kiting (especially in winter storms).

[Edited at 2005-11-18 18:26]
Collapse

Eduardo Pérez
Eduardo Pérez  Identity Verified
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another asado eater Nov 18, 2005

Hi,Henry! My name is Eduardo Pérez. I finished University last year so I haven´t had many chances to work as a freelance translator yet, though I have my little bulk of translations done already. I guess I decided to go Platinum for two main reasons: it was a tempting offer and it was a more effective way to gain "visibility".
To tell you the truth, I admit I still have a lot to learn about the site, but so far I´ve discovered two amazing things: wonderful, and I mean wonderful and enr
... See more
Hi,Henry! My name is Eduardo Pérez. I finished University last year so I haven´t had many chances to work as a freelance translator yet, though I have my little bulk of translations done already. I guess I decided to go Platinum for two main reasons: it was a tempting offer and it was a more effective way to gain "visibility".
To tell you the truth, I admit I still have a lot to learn about the site, but so far I´ve discovered two amazing things: wonderful, and I mean wonderful and enriching people and the great opportunity to learn from them, which I believe is essential at this stage, at least for me.
Apart from that, I love music, literature and my profession, and there is nothing I would love more than having the opportunity to work as a freelance translator.
I remember now some words spoken by JL during the last powwow, your brother can tell you, about believing in the site, about all the effort you made, and that was something that struck me as incredible. I have no doubt that we all have a inmense faith in the site and we really admire your work, so I would like to thank you personally for this opportunity to share so many important aspects of our profession.
Hope is not so cold up in the States) Seeya.
Edu

[Edited at 2005-11-18 19:23]
Collapse

Marcela Orcali
Marcela Orcali  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
hey Nov 18, 2005

Hi, Henry

Quick self-intro. I´m also from BA. I´ve been a regular member for a while now, but i decided to go platinum at the last powwow. It made sense since i´ve been working full-time for a translation agency, but thinking of stretching my wings a little bit and venture into freelance work.

I´m not original at all with my selected language pair: English-Spanish. I´ve actually just gotten my translation degree, but i worked in the translation business before grad
... See more
Hi, Henry

Quick self-intro. I´m also from BA. I´ve been a regular member for a while now, but i decided to go platinum at the last powwow. It made sense since i´ve been working full-time for a translation agency, but thinking of stretching my wings a little bit and venture into freelance work.

I´m not original at all with my selected language pair: English-Spanish. I´ve actually just gotten my translation degree, but i worked in the translation business before graduating. I can´t honestly say i´ve got real specialties at the time being, since i believe it´s a matter of time and experience,and i´m just starting. I do have a strong interest and academic experience in literary and technical-scientific translation. Professionally, i´ve translated primary and secondary school textbooks of several fields for the American market, material from the automotive industry, general medicine articles and the website of the US Justice Department, among other things.

Ok, i realize that wasn´t as quick as i thought it would be haha
So all i have left to say is that i´m looking forward to getting more involved with Proz because i believe it´s a great place for translators, at a professional and a personal level.

Thanks for running such a great site.

Marcela
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New platinum member self-introductions

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »