Thread poster: Steve Golubovic
Steve Golubovic
Steve Golubovic
Local time: 00:49
English to German
+ ...
Feb 21, 2014

Dear Proz-Team !

My name is Steve Golubovic (LSM - Language Services Munich).
I am more and more receiving "blind" applications from translators all over the world into my e-mail-account. In the past, this was not a problem, but now theres approx. 20 applications per day in my e-mail inbox.

What can I do to stop receiving "blind" applications from freelance translators.

Thank you very much for a soon answer.

With my best regards,
... See more
Dear Proz-Team !

My name is Steve Golubovic (LSM - Language Services Munich).
I am more and more receiving "blind" applications from translators all over the world into my e-mail-account. In the past, this was not a problem, but now theres approx. 20 applications per day in my e-mail inbox.

What can I do to stop receiving "blind" applications from freelance translators.

Thank you very much for a soon answer.

With my best regards,

Steve Golubovic, Munich
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Real applications? Feb 24, 2014

Are you sure they are real applications?

Delete them. There is a joker out there (Gaza) who is sending fake applications, normally starting like: Dear sir, I am/let me please introduce myself, etc,", followed by a list of qualifications that makes you wonder why the person in question has choosen to be a translator and not a scientist, and as ending a attached CV. Most of the mail addresses are free addresses, like Yahoo, etc.

There are some topics on this forum about
... See more
Are you sure they are real applications?

Delete them. There is a joker out there (Gaza) who is sending fake applications, normally starting like: Dear sir, I am/let me please introduce myself, etc,", followed by a list of qualifications that makes you wonder why the person in question has choosen to be a translator and not a scientist, and as ending a attached CV. Most of the mail addresses are free addresses, like Yahoo, etc.

There are some topics on this forum about this problem, but you have to look for them yourself.

By the way, I am "just" a translator, but I also receive them.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's spam!! Feb 24, 2014

Treat it as spam to the maximum extent, with all measures in your hand to combat it.

Steve Golubovic
Steve Golubovic
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure ... Mar 7, 2014

First of all: Thank you guys very much for your help.
In the first place, I also thought it's spam ... but then I answeren one or two which seemed interesting for cooperation.

And: I received a normal reply from a freelance translator offering his work. So, that's why I doubt that these mails are spam.

In fact, it seems to me like thes people "found" my agency (as an outsourcer) here on proz.com.

Could it be?

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
... Mar 9, 2014

You can't blame the cold-calling translators if you don't tell them in advance that you aren't taking unsolicited applications. Just write it in your profile – we are not currently recruiting, no open positions, please do not apply.

It's a new trend among smaller agencies these days to complain about unsolicited applications, but if you look at it from the other perspective, translators could start complaining when new agencies contact them with uninvited job offers. One side just
... See more
You can't blame the cold-calling translators if you don't tell them in advance that you aren't taking unsolicited applications. Just write it in your profile – we are not currently recruiting, no open positions, please do not apply.

It's a new trend among smaller agencies these days to complain about unsolicited applications, but if you look at it from the other perspective, translators could start complaining when new agencies contact them with uninvited job offers. One side just has to contact the other first, otherwise the wheels of the industry will stop moving.

Now, if you're situation is special and you 1) are stocked full on translators and 2) aren't increasing your business volume, just tell people you don't want any uninvited applications. If they still keep sending them, they're clearly being out of line at that point.

Best!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I wonder where they got your e-mail address from Mar 9, 2014

Steve Golubovic wrote:
I am more and more receiving "blind" applications from translators all over the world into my e-mail-account.

I don't see your web site address or your e-mail address listed anywhere on your profile page or Blue Board entry, and I can't find you in ProZ.com's company directory, so I'm wondering where these translators got your e-mail address from. Do you know where?

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Just told them that you dont need new applications Mar 11, 2014

After all translators or anyone need somewhere to start and I understand that as I am new to the international market. I also do kind of cold calling by sending emails but only twice a week or less now.

When I want to contact an agency but they state on the web that they dont need new application anymore or they need some other pairs but not mine, I wouldn't send them my email, just make a note to visit them in the future (but I hardly remember to come back).

So just st
... See more
After all translators or anyone need somewhere to start and I understand that as I am new to the international market. I also do kind of cold calling by sending emails but only twice a week or less now.

When I want to contact an agency but they state on the web that they dont need new application anymore or they need some other pairs but not mine, I wouldn't send them my email, just make a note to visit them in the future (but I hardly remember to come back).

So just state that on your profile or website that you won't take new applications, they would stay away. If otherwise then do as you please.
Collapse

Steve Golubovic
Steve Golubovic
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proz.com database Mar 12, 2014

Thank you everybody for your replies.
Now, I understand a lot better how it all must have come about.

And yes, of course, Lukasz and Little Woods, I do understand your point of view which is plausible.

Here is an answer from an applicant that I received the other day:

Dear Steve,

you can find a large database for most of the translation agencies contact information in proz.com.

Kind regards,

Now, it's cle
... See more
Thank you everybody for your replies.
Now, I understand a lot better how it all must have come about.

And yes, of course, Lukasz and Little Woods, I do understand your point of view which is plausible.

Here is an answer from an applicant that I received the other day:

Dear Steve,

you can find a large database for most of the translation agencies contact information in proz.com.

Kind regards,

Now, it's clear that this info originates from proz.com.
But where is this database she is talking about?

I understand that every freelancer in this world cares about his career, and I don't accuse anybody for having done something wrong, of cours. However, I unfortunately need to block it somehow because they're becoming simply too many (or at least reduce the number of incoming calls).

Where exactly in my/our profile, do you suggest, should I put the necessary info that we currently need no further freelance translators?

Thanks again for your kind comments.
Collapse

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
They put a notice on their profile Mar 12, 2014

I am not from a company so I dont know exactly how Proz work in this case but usually, the company profile has the following information indicating it may or may not take applications.

This company (Do not) offers job opportunities for freelancers

As for the website, they usually left a notice in the career tab or in the About us that they dont take new applications for the time being. I think that message is enough to signal the translators.

BTW, I dont t
... See more
I am not from a company so I dont know exactly how Proz work in this case but usually, the company profile has the following information indicating it may or may not take applications.

This company (Do not) offers job opportunities for freelancers

As for the website, they usually left a notice in the career tab or in the About us that they dont take new applications for the time being. I think that message is enough to signal the translators.

BTW, I dont think Proz has or are selling such database so maybe that person sent mass emails through Proz.

[Edited at 2014-03-12 17:00 GMT]
Collapse

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:49
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Steve, a suggestion: Mar 12, 2014

since my email is on many lists with millions of emails on them and which are sold everywhere, I receive about 200 ore more scams - every day!!

E.g. if I add all money that Nigerian Scams are "sending to me" on the last five years, yes, I could pay all the public african, asian and south-american debts! Of course, they are only scams.

So I searched for a solution without changing my email address and found a program called "Mailwasher". It has a black list for emails, t
... See more
since my email is on many lists with millions of emails on them and which are sold everywhere, I receive about 200 ore more scams - every day!!

E.g. if I add all money that Nigerian Scams are "sending to me" on the last five years, yes, I could pay all the public african, asian and south-american debts! Of course, they are only scams.

So I searched for a solution without changing my email address and found a program called "Mailwasher". It has a black list for emails, that I update along or update the domain, and every 10 or 15 minutes this program reads my emails lists on almost every provider marking all emails included on this black list.

That emails I could delete (said "washed") and / or reject them. If I reject an email, the sender receives an email with the message "User unknown."

On the other hand, I read about some email traffic statistics, and on this article the author told that about 60 - 70% of email traffic are machine-generated emails.

HTH

[Editada em 2014-03-12 18:24 GMT]
Collapse

Steve Golubovic
Steve Golubovic
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 14, 2014

Thanks to everybody for the helpful comments.
I'll see what I can do. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving too many "blind" applications from translators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »